Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Up and down the stairs better then running?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
    How is swimming anaerobic exercise??
    I find swimming harder than roadwork. I can run for an hour or more but after swimming about ten or eleven lengths I'm done.

Comment

stairmaster is harder than stairs. you set your time and your speed and you cant get off untill youre done. you cant slow down you cant speed up to get it over with. its just constant attrition. i set it so it gets harder and harder and harder then drops 3 times in a 10 minute period w no break. at the hardest im practically running up the stairs

swimming is a mix of anaerobic and aerobic. when you hold your breath and exert yourself it's 100% anaerobic
      Last edited by opethdrums; 04-09-2006, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spinal
        I find swimming harder than roadwork. I can run for an hour or more but after swimming about ten or eleven lengths I'm done.
        That doesn't make it anaerobic.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchDrunk
          That doesn't make it anaerobic.
          What I was trying to say was that it is good for training in your anaerobic zone which is about 80 to 89% of your maximum heart rate and will improve your heart/lungs and produce a higher lactate tolerance ability and hence improve endurance. When i am running i can train at this level for long periods of time but when I am swimming I can only do it for a much shorter period of time...I believe that when you are swimming (particularly front crawl) because your head is under water for a lot of the time you are forced to be more economical and efficient with your breathing which imo would probably improve your cardiovascular system.

Comment

What I was trying to say was that it is good for training in your anaerobic zone which is about 80 to 89% of your maximum heart rate and will improve your heart/lungs and produce a higher lactate tolerance ability and hence improve endurance. When i am running i can train at this level for long periods of time but when I am swimming I can only do it for a much shorter period of time...I believe that when you are swimming (particularly front crawl) because your head is under water for a lot of the time you are forced to be more economical and efficient with your breathing which imo would probably improve your cardiovascular system.
            First of all, anaerobic work has nothing to do with heartrate. Lifting a heavy weight one time, for instance, is anaerobic work and this hardly puts any stress on your heartrate. Obviously, if you do it long enough, your heartrate will skyrocket, but that doesn't make heartrate the parameter by which anaerobic exercise is defined.
            Second, the fact that you can run for longer than you can swim, only means that the intensity by which you swim is higher than your running intensity. Still, an intensity where you can swim 10-11 lengths is NOT anaerobic! And running/jogging is not anaerobic either. Sprinting is anaerobic, which is why you can only do it for 10 seconds before your pace slows considerably.

You should probably think twice about giving out advice, when you clearly don't know what the terms you use actually mean...

Comment

What I was talking about was your anaerobic training zone as described here: http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/hrm1.htm
              which is different to actual anaerobic exercise i accept and apologise for any confusion.

Comment

Running up and down a steep hill (up fast, down slow) is better than stairs, because, when you get tired, you might miss a step and fall, either going up or coming down, which can have a bad ending on stairs....

Comment

What I was talking about was your anaerobic training zone as described here: http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/hrm1.htm
                  which is different to actual anaerobic exercise i accept and apologise for any confusion.
                  Aah, well I see that you actually used the term anaerobic zone in your previous post, so I guess I'll have to take my part of the blame... It takes two to create a misunderstanding, I guess.

Comment

Running at stadiums.. does anybody run the stairs at stadiums?? is it open to anybody or to you have to arrange it?? lil advice would be good.

Comment

I've gone up and down the stairs before. I don't know the comparison but I can't see why it wouldn't be a good workout.

Comment

Working...
                      X