No announcement yet.

Tommy Morrison

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    Lets not get too carried away here. Lewis barely beat Ray Mercer and looked like crap against Zeljko Mavrovic. He also got clocked by McCall and Rahman. But he did expose Tommy Morrison as less than a top class heavyweight.
    Lewis exposed the two fighters that defeated him in subsequent matches. He had beaten every opponent he'd ever faced which is a very rare feat perhaps only accomplished by Marciano. Yes, he may have had off nights against Mercer and Mavrovic but he still defeated them. So it's not like Morrison lost to a bum...

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
      Lewis exposed the two fighters that defeated him in subsequent matches. He had beaten every opponent he'd ever faced which is a very rare feat perhaps only accomplished by Marciano. Yes, he may have had off nights against Mercer and Mavrovic but he still defeated them. So it's not like Morrison lost to a bum...

You don't seem to get it. I'm not minimizing Lewis. Morrison didn't just lose to Lewis, he got owned by him. It was apparent while watching that fight that he wasn't really a world class fighter. As far as losing to a bum, Morrison got squashed by Michael Bentt and was very lucky to get a draw against Ross Puritty. Nuff said.

Comment

You don't seem to get it. I'm not minimizing Lewis. Morrison didn't just lose to Lewis, he got owned by him. It was apparent while watching that fight that he wasn't really a world class fighter. As far as losing to a bum, Morrison got squashed by Michael Bentt and was very lucky to get a draw against Ross Puritty. Nuff said.
        Well, Morrison just got caught by a lucky Michael Bentt. I didn't see the Puritty fight. But, the guy holds a win against Wlad so he can't be all bad. I'm sure we all can agree Tommy wasn't the best of his time. But, he was a pretty good fighter at his best.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
          Morrison was a very exciting fighter. You always knew something was going to happen even if you didn't know who it was going to happen to. Watching him meant you were going to be on the edge of your seat waiting for someone to get ko'd. I remember I had a friend over that never watched boxing and Morrison's bout against Joe Hipp was coming on. I told my friend that it was going to be a good fight and by the end of the fight my friend was standing up yelling at the tv. Turned him into an instant boxing fan!
          For those of us that watched Morrison's rollercoaster of a career from the begining til the end definitely have to appreciate the ride!
          i couldnt do nothing but shake my head YES YES YES the wole time i read this quote by you TBEAR....spot on bro...

Comment

Well, Morrison just got caught by a lucky Michael Bentt. I didn't see the Puritty fight. But, the guy holds a win against Wlad so he can't be all bad. I'm sure we all can agree Tommy wasn't the best of his time. But, he was a pretty good fighter at his best.
            I remember when Floyd Patterson was caught by a lucky Sonny Liston. Twice.

Comment

I remember when Floyd Patterson was caught by a lucky Sonny Liston. Twice.
              I recall when Roy Jones was caught early by Antonio Tarver in their second fight.. And when George Foreman caught Michael Moorer to be the oldest heavyweight champion in history...

Comment

Originally posted by mehoe View Post
                I was watching some Morrison fights today and I remember when he was supposed to be like a white version of Mike Tyson. So after watching them I do remember him having great power, but also a glass jaw. How far do you think he would have went if not for the whole HIV thing?
                By the time that happened, he had already been stopped by Lewis. He wasn't going to ever reach the top, but he would have been a decent fighter if his heart was still in it.

Comment

I recall when Roy Jones was caught early by Antonio Tarver in their second fight.. And when George Foreman caught Michael Moorer to be the oldest heavyweight champion in history...
                  There is a big difference between getting caught by Tarver at 35, caught by Foreman, compared to getting caught by Michael Bentt in the prime of your career.
                  Last edited by joseph5620; 07-01-2012, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    There is a big difference between getting caught by Tarver at 35, caught by Foreman, compared to getting caught by Michael Bentt in the prime of your career.
                    Prime or no prime.. You get caught with the right kind of shot you are going down. Foreman in his mid-forties still hit harder than a lot of prime heavys. Example.. Ali was caught by Henry Cooper in his prime and was very close to being KO'd. Marco Antonio Barrera was caught by Junior Jones, etc etc. As far as OP.. In the case of Liston-Patterson I think it was a case of a good big man beating a good little man. Patterson was simply more overpowered than being caught by a shot...

Comment

Prime or no prime.. You get caught with the right kind of shot you are going down. Foreman in his mid-forties still hit harder than a lot of prime heavys. Example.. Ali was caught by Henry Cooper in his prime and was very close to being KO'd. Marco Antonio Barrera was caught by Junior Jones, etc etc. As far as OP of Junior Jones... In the case of Liston-Patterson I think it was a case of a good big man beating a good little man. Patterson was simply more overpowered than being caught by a shot...
                      Your comparison to Ali is ridiculous. Barrera too. Bentt was not on the level of Junior Jones. Ali (not in his prime) got up at 3 and stopped Cooper in the next round. Morrison was dropped three times and didn't get out of the first round. Also, twice against a well past prime Carl the truth" Williams, twice against Puriity, twice against a faded Ruddock, had his jaw broken by Joe Hipp of all fighters.

So lets's stop pretending that Morrison "getting caught" by Bentt was some kind of revelation because he got "caught" a lot and many of those opponents were not even top class fighters. Not to mention getting dropped multiple times against Lewis in a fight that wasn't even remotely competitive. I won't even get into the Mercer fight.
                      Last edited by joseph5620; 07-01-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X