No announcement yet.

So let's talk about Paul Williams and the Hall of Fame

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by U Got Punished View Post
    His best win is against Martinez. Thats pretty bad ass if you ask me. How many guys hold wins over The P4P #3 fighter in the world ( in his prime ) ? Nobody
    Margarito beat Martinez when Martinez was 25. It doesnt get anymore prime than that. And Martinez fought the same way then as he does now except he was quicker back then. Margarito has what?? 7 Losses on his record or something like that. Martinez let Macklin stick around for 11 rounds, and let a alcoholic Pavlik, who was probably drunk the whole fight, win four straight rounds against him. Your weakining your case by bringing up Martinez. The same Martinez that blew him out in two rounds, then PWill gets his ass kicked by Lara who really lost to Molina. Its a done deal, get over it, PWill does not belong in the HOF, NOT EVEN CLOSE. In the words of Paul, "KNOW WHAT IM SAYING"

Comment

• I don't think so... but hey if Stallone can get in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pirao View Post
        I don't think so... but hey if Stallone can get in.

Stallone is in as a non participant or observer. Little bit of a difference, don't you think?

Comment

• He was not there yet on accomplishment but I think theres a shout for him entering on compassionate grounds

Comment

• Williams isn't remotely close to a HOFer. He's just a champion of today, one of many. The very greatest of each era are HOFers, not every champion.

The legends of the game are the guys that become HOFers. Bopkins, Mayweather, Pac, Barrera, Morales, Marquez, etc etc.

Comment

• The Punisher sadly won't make it to the hall of fame. But not because he wasn't good enough to be. But simply because the stars, legends & current money makers didn't give him the chance like Oscar gave them. I know it's hard for some fans to keep it real, but the welterweight version of Paul beats the 3 best welterweights of this era. Who are Floyd, Pacman & Cotto.

Some say but Margarito is his best win & who is he?? The Margarito Punisher beat was only the most avoided champ at the time. Nothing special. He was however good enough to show up to a Floyd interview & damn near make him crap his pants. He was good enough to bring out the famous Roach quote, "we're brave, but not that brave". He was also good enough to endure the early Cotto assault & pummel Miguel into oblivion. That's the Margarito he beat.

The Punisher at his best could easily be the best fighter at 147-154. He owned a win over Martinez, could have gone either way but the scrap was close. The big three dared not whisper his name & it's not his fault the perceived best fighters didn't want it & that's the truth take that to the bank.

Comment

• everybody see things differently....ever since the HOF let Sylvester Stallone in for his fake fights...just think, dude banked more for those fake fights with fake punches and fake cuts and fake blood...than REAL fighters bank for real punches, real cuts and real blood....so I say Paul is a sure shot in my book...even if they don't OFFICIALLY let him in(I doubt he gets in) he'll still be seen as a HOF'er in my book....Big Pun was a REAL fighter....flawed, but he bought it everytime...nuff respect!!

Comment

• I have him borderline, because it was so hard for the dude to land big name/money fights. I was never even a big fan, but he was undoubtedly avoided by lots of guys. He ducked no one & called out everyone. Not his fault.

Comment

• Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                    everybody see things differently....ever since the HOF let Sylvester Stallone in for his fake fights...just think, dude banked more for those fake fights with fake punches and fake cuts and fake blood...than REAL fighters bank for real punches, real cuts and real blood....so I say Paul is a sure shot in my book...even if they don't OFFICIALLY let him in(I doubt he gets in) he'll still be seen as a HOF'er in my book....Big Pun was a REAL fighter....flawed, but he bought it everytime...nuff respect!!
                    The reason they let Stallone in was because he's been an ambassador to the sport beyond just making the Rocky movies. He's not the first non fighter to get into the HOF. Sure, others deserve to be in there before him, but you have to account also people who contributed to the sport in all factions. Williams in relation was a good fighter but didn't accomplish enough to get the nod. I don't even think he makes the list for him to be voted in which in itself is a task.

Comment

• Originally posted by SekondzOut View Post
                      everybody see things differently....ever since the HOF let Sylvester Stallone in for his fake fights...just think, dude banked more for those fake fights with fake punches and fake cuts and fake blood...than REAL fighters bank for real punches, real cuts and real blood....so I say Paul is a sure shot in my book...even if they don't OFFICIALLY let him in(I doubt he gets in) he'll still be seen as a HOF'er in my book....Big Pun was a REAL fighter....flawed, but he bought it everytime...nuff respect!!
                      Stallone is not in the fighter section of the HOF.

There is a difference in the section that Stallone is in to what fighters go in. Huge difference, don't confuse the two.

Comment

Working...
                      X