No announcement yet.

How do you throw your hook?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Pronating the left hook is a difficult technique to master, the "open" hook is much easier to deliver. However the "open" hook can cause damage to the knuckles because your not landing your "full length fist" your only landing a few knuckles with the open technique.
    The same principle holds true with turning over your right hand to be able to land your fist more flush and full. If your landing more "area" of your fist it should translate to more hurt for your opponent and the percentage of hand injuries goes down.
    Ray
    True enough... The reason I say a pronated hook can be injury prone is because 1... There is generally more force on it and more behind it because the elbow is behind it.."cranking it" and 2. If the hook doesn't land full surface and just clips with a few knuckles your opponent in an awkward area.. like high on the head.. it can give a hand/wrist injury depending on the angle.

I have never hurt my hand with a palm facing hook... but have hurt it a couple times when I misjudged distance with the palm down hook, because I just simply throw With more velocity palm down.

Comment

I've always felt like I"m going to tear my shoulder off when I land with it face down. For that reason my palm time faces me 95% of the time. I can't shake that feeling off so it throws me off. I also seem to get more leverage from it facing me.

Comment

Like your holding a mug, this way of throwing the hook reduces incidents of injury to the wrist. Freddy Roach prefers to throw the hook palms facing the ground..tight and quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
          Is your palm facing you or the ground?
          Thumb up usa

thumb horizontal euro

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
            That is also how i throw mine and how i trained my child to throw his.. But today in the gym his trainer was telling him to have his palm facing the ground
            Fk that euro bum

Comment

I throw it kind of in between or diagonal. If I throw it completely facing me it hurts my wrist. The idea behind having your wrist turned over is it turns your shoulder into the target from your footing through your torso in one motion.

I worked with an older trainer and he was adamant that I turn my hook over. The only time I opened my hook up was going to the body.

Comment

Working...
              X