No announcement yet.

How to increase hand speed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to increase hand speed?

What's the best way to increase hand speed?

Improving core strength helps

Comment

It depends how long you've been boxing. I find that after a few months of shadow boxing (while also training at the gym of course) I get some decent speed on my punches. So you should always make sure you have good technique when shadow boxing. I actually started off slow, then gradually threw nice relaxed punches with good technique and only then did I really shadow box with speed in mind. Good technique can do wonders for speed when you are relaxed.

I've heard that shadow boxing with 2lb weights can help but personally I don't feel a huge difference. I feel lighter but not faster. It works for some though.

Comment

Just work out and try the best you do and do anything and everything possible in strength and conditioning for boxing and whatever speed you achieve while reaching your physical peak is what you will have. There is no magic formula to going beyond that. You have what you will have and that's it.

Comment

I find visualization helps. By that I guess I mean shadow boxing, and hitting the bag.

Close your eyes and imagine yourself throwing a combo, but faster than you normally would. Practice it in real life and on the heavy bag and your body should just start adjusting to throwing faster.

It works for me. You're just going to need to have a good grasp of technique though before you can do this.

Comment

Don't try to be faster...just be faster

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
              Great advice. You should apply for a training position on TMT

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                Great advice. You should apply for a training position on TMT
                Deliver that line like Roger Mayweather. "You don't know sheittttttt about baxin, you don't try to be fasta..you juz be fasta!"

Comment

i feel like hand speed is overrated.
                  accurate, well-timed, fully-rotated punches will be much better .
                  but to answer your question, and to achieve this^, simply shadow box...
                  muscle memory is da best!
                  or resistance bands/plyometrics, dont go too heavy on resistance bands (the recoil can be hard on the joints)

Comment

Originally posted by nivek535 View Post
                    i feel like hand speed is overrated.
                    accurate, well-timed, fully-rotated punches will be much better .
                    but to answer your question, and to achieve this^, simply shadow box...
                    muscle memory is da best!
                    or resistance bands/plyometrics, dont go too heavy on resistance bands (the recoil can be hard on the joints)
                    Shadow boxing and just being relaxed in general can give you great speed. It's all visualisation. See the target hit the target. That's why I love pad work. But shadow boxing is the best for speed if you just visualise your target (ie. your opponent). But like nivek said, speed means nothing if you can't time an opponent.

When it comes to shadow boxing be VERY careful not to overextend. When I started I got lots of sore elbow and shoulder joints from overextending. When you watch pros shadow box they are incredibly relaxed and never fully extend their punches.

Comment

Working...
                    X