Sparring vid... Have a look please?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring vid... Have a look please?

Hi guys,
    Description of the vid says it all really? Any pointers please give them!!!!
    I was really tired here but i was trying!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvJbK...ature=youtu.be

Cheers!!! ( I am the one in blue shorts! )
    Last edited by Wannabeboxer; 02-29-2012, 03:27 PM.

Not sure why you spar after a work out!!! My comments could apply to both young men, both very stiff and rigid and your hands are to high! Your both pretty squared off facing each other and after a 1/2 both automaticly back off, why? The idea in boxing is to impose your will on the opponent and that simply means "back em up" you do that by putting combinations together and continue to step forward so your backing him off. The way you spar is the way you'll fight so you better pick up the pace and add a left hook, didn't see one hook from either. The fellow in the blue trunks is waiting and way to squared up. You need more shoulder at the opponent and get that jab out there with stiff singles and fast doubles and a hard right hand behind it. Basic punches that can only land if your moving forward or the opponent is moving in. Get your steps down behind a double jab and get close and punch. Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Not sure why you spar after a work out!!! My comments could apply to both young men, both very stiff and rigid and your hands are to high! Your both pretty squared off facing each other and after a 1/2 both automaticly back off, why? The idea in boxing is to impose your will on the opponent and that simply means "back em up" you do that by putting combinations together and continue to step forward so your backing him off. The way you spar is the way you'll fight so you better pick up the pace and add a left hook, didn't see one hook from either. The fellow in the blue trunks is waiting and way to squared up. You need more shoulder at the opponent and get that jab out there with stiff singles and fast doubles and a hard right hand behind it. Basic punches that can only land if your moving forward or the opponent is moving in. Get your steps down behind a double jab and get close and punch. Ray
      Thanks for that!!! very helpful!
      I just really wanted to get some extra sparring experience ! I was told that i was getting too square.! I will relax some more and take this into consideration! I will post another vid next week !!!! Thanks very much!

Anyone else?

Comment

Still need a lot of work.most of us do to a degree.firstly...please stop bouncing when ur in mid range or when ur opponent has closed the distance on u.....u are bouncing way too much...almost looks like nervous energy...save ur bouce foot feints on the outside or to step in n out with ur jab while controlling range....I like ur attempts of up jabs...settle ur feet down some n bend ur knees more while in the act of doing it.n when that up jab is out don't let the momentum of that shot straighten ur body out too much to where ur up too high

Comment

Cheers hook!

I have another vid that i will hopefully have sent to me this weekend! Will post the hopefully improved version of the vid! :P

Comment

Originally posted by hookoffdajab View Post
            Still need a lot of work.most of us do to a degree.firstly...please stop bouncing when ur in mid range or when ur opponent has closed the distance on u.....u are bouncing way too much...almost looks like nervous energy...save ur bouce foot feints on the outside or to step in n out with ur jab while controlling range....I like ur attempts of up jabs...settle ur feet down some n bend ur knees more while in the act of doing it.n when that up jab is out don't let the momentum of that shot straighten ur body out too much to where ur up too high
            I definitely agree with hookoffdajab about the bounce and settling the feet. During your training you'll be picking up a lot of things and working on developing physical aspects like strength, speed and conditioning. These things will come.

It's always beneficial to set aside a little time after youre workouts to slow everything right down, step off to be by yourself, and bring quiet and calm attention to focus on the really minute details of your technique. To really bring attention to the ways that you are using your body and how it feels.

Start with the footwork. Give yourself a few months to just work a little on it after every session. It can't be rushed, you're learning a craft. Bring awareness to the smallest details and play around with different ways of moving. I mean real fine detail.

Start by moving your feet slowly and bringing attention to how the pressure shifts from one point on the base your foot to an other. Play with rolling the front foot from heel to toe when you step forward and how that feels not only on the foot but on the ankle and the muscles in your lower leg. Move on from there with the same level of precision and attention. Not only will this approach make you more attuned to your own body but mentally it develops patience and a focus of attention, which are paramount in the ring.

Check out Miguel Cotto, he's a good example of what hookoffdajab is talking about when it comes to footwork. The very fact that your posting videos of your sparring and asking for pointers displays a real willingness to learn that's commendable. I don't think you'll go too far wrong with that kind of attitude. I wish you all the success in learning the craft.

Comment

Stokely,
              Thanks very much for all of that! Must have taken you ages to write! :P
              I will do that! I have some of videos of Cotto on my phone now, i am going to work on my footwork for 15 mins as a warmup before my cardio work!
              I am really willing to learn! I want to be the best i can! Next time i can i will post another video ! Hopefullly i can get this great constructive criticism to work on things to improve myself!!!
              Cheers everyone !

Comment

Hi, first off dont post that it looks a bit sloppy because you worked out before hand in your description. No excuses, just do it. Second, not bad at all for a beginner. Just nervous energy thats taking over causing the bounce. No secret to getting better in the ring except more sparring. Spar with someone less experienced so you're more comfortable throwing and then someone more experienced to actually improve. Either way good luck with training and remember the most importany part of boxing is actually getting in the ring.

Comment

Working...
                X