Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Canelo Alvarez Still Overrated if He Defeats Austin Trout or Sergio Martinez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Canelo Alvarez Still Overrated if He Defeats Austin Trout or Sergio Martinez?

WBC junior middleweight champion canelo alvarez says his promoters are currently in negotiations with mayweather to try put together a fight for early 2013, i won't be surprised if mayweather turns that down opts for a much "safer" fight in guerrero. the back plan would then be canelo vs. trout.

some think canelo is the best 154 out there while many believe his promoters are feeding him riff raff bloating canelo up into one big hype job. i think canelo knows if anyone can beat him, it’s definitely trout but he wants mayweather first since it makes the most economic sense.

sergio martinez once said his willing to go down to 154 to face mayweather which i think is next to impossible but another good fight is martinez vs. canelo, though it's much riskier fight than trout.

if canelo has enough cajones to stop with the bottom feeding stuff and face a legitimate opponent i.e. martinez and/or trout, then no doubt he gains much respect and probably puts him well within the top 5 p4p if he defeats either of those guys.

your thoughts?

Of course not.

That's why I'd rather Mayweather-Guererro in May so Canelo can fight a top guy in May then Canelo-Mayweather in September.

Comment

If he beats Sergio Martinez or Trout..of course not, but why is he sitting around waiting for some 147lbs to move and fight him?..He wont fight Trout..Trout is his size, and if anything he should want to fight Trout, Trout beat his brother + Trout called him out after the Cotto fight..why isnt he taking up the challenge?..

Comment

Nah, I think he just needs to beat someone legit that's all. Not that he can't do it because I personally think he would beat all those guys at 154, but it would be nice to see him do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray* View Post
          Nah, I think he just needs to beat someone legit that's all. Not that he can't do it because I personally think he would beat all those guys at 154, but it would be nice to see him do it.
          i'm hoping golden boy will not feed canelo another cab driver to fight before they do the right thing and fight trout. floyd himself said that cotto gave him his hardest fight ever, and canelo does everything that cotto does, just faster, stronger, more explosive. it makes it's a good fight, till then, we'll just have to wait and see. seeing is believing

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting_Pride View Post
            i'm hoping golden boy will not feed canelo another cab driver to fight before they do the right thing and fight trout. floyd himself said that cotto gave him his hardest fight ever, and canelo does everything that cotto does, just faster, stronger, more explosive. it makes it's a good fight, till then, we'll just have to wait and see. seeing is believing
            Canelo isn't as smart as Cotto in the ring. He may have better physical attributes, but it was Cotto's ring iq that kept him competitive with Mayweather for 12 rounds.

If Canelo beats Trout then he will go some way towards justifying the ridiculously premature hype that's been coming his way for the last few years.

And Canelo doesn't beat Martinez. Simple as. Unless he waits until Maravilla is in his 40s(which is a distinct possibility given some of his recent opponents). I'm not hating here by the way, I'm just pointing out that Canelo is seen as such a great prospect because he's been dominant in a lot of his fights but he it yet to fight anyone in the top 250 p4p. I genuinely think that he'll be exposed at some point in the not so distant future, but I could be wrong.

Comment

he's not overrated now, he's just unproven
              he'll end up fighting Floyd, surprised if that doesn't happen
              but he gets legitimacy beating Trout or Martinez
              he'd lose to Martinez anyway, but he can take Trout
              Trout's win over Cotto wasn't all that impressive

Comment

Nope,

He would get full credit for beating someone like Trout and Martinez. Trout is not better than Canelo.

People need to stop complaining about Canelo being protected. He had a date with Williams, Kirkland, and Ortiz. Not his fault Ortiz lost to Lopez, not his fault Williams got into an accident, not his fault Kirkland got injured in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by War Dinamita View Post
                  Nope,

He would get full credit for beating someone like Trout and Martinez. Trout is not better than Canelo.

People need to stop complaining about Canelo being protected. He had a date with Williams, Kirkland, and Ortiz. Not his fault Ortiz lost to Lopez, not his fault Williams got into an accident, not his fault Kirkland got injured in camp.
                  As boxing fans we have every right to complain about someone who is fighting blown up welter weights and junior welter weights..there are plenty of 154lb guys for him to fight. He is sitting back and GBP is cherry picking for him..he is there cash cow..why dont they make the fight with Trout?..Trout called him out, Trout has a belt and Trout already beat his brother..If not fight someone like Keith Thurman?..Ortiz is not a 154 pounder..He wanted to fight Cotto who is way to small for 154 and should retire..he wants that big name..meanwhile Cotto goes out and fights Trout..he didnt have to do that..Cotto already fought everyone..Canelo is a total hype job cash cow..

Comment

Originally posted by War Dinamita View Post
                    Nope,

I understand he had those dates with better fighters but the fact remains that he didn't fight either so we don't know how he would've done! Then when he has the chance to fight legit opposition, he fights Joseito? Common man!

Comment

Working...
                    X