No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe's Greatness......

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CarlosG815 View Post
    He fought a bunch of nobodies in his own backyard and never fought anybody good.

When the best names on your resume are a past prime B Hop (split decision) and a decision over a SHOT Roy Jones Jr, there is something wrong.

It isn't difficult to go undefeated if you never take on a challenging contender.
    What about Lacy, Kessler, Bika, Reid, Mitchell, all good fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
      How many fighters have 21 title defenses? (Joe Louis, Joe Calzaghe)

How many fighters retired with 45+ wins with no draws or defeats? (Marciano, Joe Calzaghe..../END LIST)

How many fighters retire, having beaten all of the top dawgs in their era? (Ali, Joe Calzaghe)

Only the greatest of fighters can match what Joe Calzaghe has done.
      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, YOUR BACK!

Anyway I believe he is a borderline Great if someone said he was I wouldn't object that much but, no way does he deserve Top 50 or realtively close IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
        what greatness?
        LOL that was my initial response but I changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyZagz View Post
          How many fighters have 21 title defenses? (Joe Louis, Joe Calzaghe)

How many fighters retired with 45+ wins with no draws or defeats? (Marciano, Joe Calzaghe..../END LIST)

How many fighters retire, having beaten all of the top dawgs in their era? (Ali, Joe Calzaghe)

Only the greatest of fighters can match what Joe Calzaghe has done.
          How many greats of history can you name whom never fought any top contenders who were prime? Everybody talks about resume yet you always seem to let it slide when it comes to "Joey Zags" as if he gets special treatment for never leaving his backyard and fighting sub par opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by katsidis View Post
            They were decent fighters but they weren't "very good" or "great" fighters. Those guys are like the Andre Berto's, Victor Ortiz and Timothy Bradley's of today. Big hype jobs who aren't any good and would all lose to good fighters. The difference between Calzaghe and the guys I just mentioned is he is "just a little better" to win some close fights against certain people."

Answer me this, who would have won these matchups:

Prime Roy Jones vs Zags
            Prime B Hop vs Zags

Those are the two names that made him a name and there is no chance in hell that you can tell me he is beating prime Roy and the odds are very against him vs a younger Hopkins.

Comment

Originally posted by GrebvsTunney View Post
              I find it hard to rank Joe and his legacy. You think 46-0, probaly best Super Middleweight ever, Ring Champion at both 168lb & 175lb. That impressive.
              I consider that to be an award rather than a legit belt
              But then you think 21 Defences of the little thought of WBO Title, against some unworthy challagers or unproven fighters, on home soil.
              True
              And then the fact he looked farily unimpressive in his USA fights
              How can you look impressive when your opponent is allowed to clinch 12 times per round, headbutt and overact?
              & missed out on fighting the best of his era while in there primes.
              Like who?
              How do you rate him and his greatness, & ATG Ranking.
              I wouldnt class him as a ATG, definitely a HOFer though

Comment

Answer me this, who would have won these matchups:
                Prime Roy Jones vs Zags
                He loses to Jones, but that's no knock on him, due to the fact that Jones was an elite fighter
                Prime B Hop vs Zags
                He beats Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by katsidis View Post
                  Those guys werte decent, Eubank gave a good account of himself as well

Comment

Working...
                  X