No announcement yet.

Video-Bert Sugar: Archie Moore is greatest old fighter, Hopkins second

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video-Bert Sugar: Archie Moore is greatest old fighter, Hopkins second

My new video, Bert Sugar makes the comparison between Archie Moore and Bernard Hopkins and gives his opinion on who is the greatest old fighter of all-time.

Sorry for the low light, enjoy!

I agree. Totally.

Comment

Its close but I would also lean towards Moore. Hopkins can certainly surpass him though and I believe he will.

Comment

Hard to say imo let me just say both should serve as an inspiration that with hard word and dedication you're never to old to achieve greatness.just glad i got to witness hopkins in my time

Comment

Hopkins is better.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
            Hard to say imo let me just say both should serve as an inspiration that with hard word and dedication you're never to old to achieve greatness.just glad i got to witness hopkins in my time
            I don't see how they can be compared in ANY way except age. Moore had about 220 fights with 140 odd KO's the highest on record. And he was a clean fighter, giving everything he had. His first fight against Durelle was exceptional, I was certain that he was finished 3-4 times.

Hopkins had had 52 fights with about 30 KO's And is the dirtiest fighter in the past 70 years, since Fritzie Zivic....maybe worse.

Harold Johnson fought until age 43, and beat many heavyweights although a career lt-heavy himself, often outweighted by 20-30lbs-or more, including Eddie Machen and Ezzard Charles, when they were at their peaks. At one time, he was regarded by all experts as being the only fighter capable of beating Sonny Liston, who was otherwise regarded as unbeatable, even though Floyd Patterson was then the heavyweight Champ.

And what about Roberto Duran who had his last fight against Macho Camacho at age 50, which i saw.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post
              I don't see how they can be compared in ANY way except age. Moore had about 220 fights with 140 odd KO's the highest on record. And he was a clean fighter, giving everything he had. His first fight against Durelle was exceptional, I was certain that he was finished 3-4 times.

Hopkins had had 52 fights with about 30 KO's And is the dirtiest fighter in the past 70 years, since Fritzie Zivic....maybe worse.

Harold Johnson fought until age 43, and beat many heavyweights although a career lt-heavy himself, often outweighted by 20-30lbs-or more, including Eddie Machen and Ezzard Charles, when they were at their peaks. At one time, he was regarded by all experts as being the only fighter capable of beating Sonny Liston, who was otherwise regarded as unbeatable, even though Floyd Patterson was then the heavyweight Champ.

And what about Roberto Duran who had his last fight against Macho Camacho at age 50, which i saw.

Bert Sugar is a bitter, senile alcoholic (and Fat Joe Benedetti's hero).

Comment

Hopkins can't hold moore's jockstrap

Comment

It's always nice to see and hear Bert Sugar. I miss his magazines.

This past June at the IBHOF Induction weekend, he was literally the first boxing figure I saw when I arrived and parked my car at Graziano's on Friday afternoon. There he was, green pants and all walking right towards me and a nice handshake.

A few years before that in 2003 at the IBHOF, I introduced my wife to him, he smilied and gave her a nice kiss on the cheek. The man is all class, has a great sense of humor, and will be missed when he's gone.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post

Hopkins had had 52 fights with about 30 KO's
                    Obviously fighters back then fought a lot more because they had to. If hopkins lived in that era I'm sure he would be a guy with 200 fights as well. He's also a clean fighter who is extremely dedicated to the sport.

And is the dirtiest fighter in the past 70 years, since Fritzie Zivic....maybe worse.
                    Pure comedy right here. There were some EXTREMELY dirty fighters back in the day that made hopkins look like a saint.

Comment

Working...
                    X