No announcement yet.

"THE LIST" - list the top ten best boxers of ALL TIME

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "THE LIST" - list the top ten best boxers of ALL TIME

Not from this time, that time, full time or part time, but of ALL TIME. . . Pound for pound of course. . . This does not necessarily mean one boxer would beat the other if they were matched up, of course skills come into the argument, but I think the evolution of the sport as well as medicine and training, etc. makes it unfair . . Here goes my list:

1.) Sugar Ray Robinson - I don't think you can make an argument otherwise for this spot. . .
    2.) Henry Armstrong - I think what he was doing in his era was just amazing. . .
    3.) Harry Greb - Beating up on Jack Dempsey despite being 30 pounds lighter. . . Skill personified. . . Toughness personified. . . GREATNESS personified. . .
    4.) Willie Pep - The original "defensive wizard" - He had a Hopkins thing going on with his timing of punches, along with some sweet pea-esque upper body movement - UNHERALDED and UNMATCHEDin the defensive category for decades and decades. . .
    5.) Joe Gans - greatest lightweight boxer of all time. . . Well rounded. . . tough as nails. . . fast as lightening. . . just a THROWBACK BEAST. . .
    6.) Benny Leonard - Old school as old school gets. . . . Excellent power in both hands as evinced by 70 KO's in 90 fights. . . Career spanned from 126-150, with the bulk of his achievements coming at lightweight. Unlike other fighters who significantly drop off upon moving up in weight, he REMAINED just as true, with only two losses above the lightweight limit!
    7.) Sugar Ray Leonard - SWEETNESS! IMO the FASTEST HANDS the sport has ever seen. . . He had it all. . . literally. . . one of my favorites to watch.
    8.) SWEET PEA - pernell whitaker - His defense, and moreover, ability to TRANSITION from defense into blistering offense has never been seen before, and i doubt we will ever see.
    9.) Roberto Duran - HANDS OF STONE! Second best lightweight fighter of all time. . . maybe the best, depending on who you ask. . . The way he stood toe to toe in a losing effort to Hagler was astonishing. . . Beat PRIME Ray Leonard. . .
    10.) Manny Pacquiao - PACSMASH! first ever 8 division champ. . . weightclasses, and catchweights notwithstanding - if it was so easy, how come ain't nobody else done it? THE MODERN DAY HENRY ARMSTRONG. . . Beat Mexican Legends Eric Morales Twice, MAB Twice, JMM once. . . Look up pound for pound in the dictionary and right behind sugar ray and armstrong you'll see pac
    Last edited by UglyPug; 10-17-2011, 06:47 AM.

I know a lot of people are going to blast me for my list. . . for putting manny at 10. .. call me a *******, say i dont know **** about boxing, claim i don't even like boxing, etc., etc., etc. . .

But it's just my opinion that Manny belongs somewhere between 10-20 on any all time list. . . I mean, to win world titles in EIGHT WEIGHT CLASSES?! UNHEARD OF!

Also, I expect to get Flack for not having Ali on my list. . . Well, he would be number 11. . . I just think that because he's a heavyweight, the most popular division, causes him to get A LOT more attention than other fighters who did MUCH GREATER THINGS, and had greater abilities. . .

Comment

1.) Sugar Ray Robinson.
      2.) Joe Gans
      3.) Henry Armstrong
      4.) Roberto Duran
      5.) Benny Leonard
      6.) Harry Greb
      7.) Les Darcy loljk sorry McGoorty. Sugar Ray Leonard
      8.) Willie Pep
      9.) Joe Louis
      10.) Muhammad Ali

Problem with the reasoning for putting Pacquiao in on account of the 8 division championships is that, for example Sugar Ray Robinson, to have achieved that, he would have had to have won every title in boxing.

Titles and divisions are not as meaningful as they used to be, not by a long shot. Especially when you factor in that one of those titles came by catchweight. Seriously what the **** is that?
      Last edited by Capaedia; 10-17-2011, 06:16 AM.

Comment

Comment

1. Sugar Ray Robinson
          2. Henry Armstrong
          3. Harrry Greb
          4. Muhammad Ali
          5. Sam Langford
          6. Willie Pep
          7. Ezzard Charles
          8. Carlos Monzon
          9. Joe Gans
          10. Archie Moore

Pacquiao in the top 35 at bet. He has won FOUR world titles- Linear titles, not alphabet portions of titles, are what count.
          Last edited by SBleeder; 10-17-2011, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by uglypug View Post
            Not from this time, that time, full time or part time, but of ALL TIME. . . Pound for pound of course. . . This does not necessarily mean one boxer would beat the other if they were matched up, of course skills come into the argument, but I think the evolution of the sport as well as medicine and training, etc. makes it unfair . . Here goes my list:

1.) Sugar Ray Robinson - I don't think you can make an argument otherwise for this spot. . .
            2.) Henry Armstrong - I think what he was doing in his era was just amazing. . .
            3.) Harry Greb - Beating up on Jack Dempsey despite being 30 pounds lighter. . . Skill personified. . . Toughness personified. . . GREATNESS personified. . .
            4.) Willie Pep - The original "defensive wizard" - He had a Hopkins thing going on with his timing of punches, along with some sweet pea-esque upper body movement - UNHERALDED and UNMATCHEDin the defensive category for decades and decades. . .
            5.) Benny Leonard - OLD school of all OLD SCHOOL pugs. . . Amazing abilities and resume.
            6.) Joe Gans - greatest lightweight boxer of all time. . . Well rounded. . . tough as nails. . . fast as lightening. . . just a THROWBACK BEAST. . .
            7.) Sugar Ray Leonard - SWEETNESS! IMO the FASTEST HANDS the sport has ever seen. . . He had it all. . . literally. . . one of my favorites to watch.
            8.) SWEET PEA - pernell whitaker - His defense, and moreover, ability to TRANSITION from defense into blistering offense has never been seen before, and i doubt we will ever see.
            9.) Roberto Duran - HANDS OF STONE! Second best lightweight fighter of all time. . . maybe the best, depending on who you ask. . . The way he stood toe to toe in a losing effort to Hagler was astonishing. . . Beat PRIME Ray Leonard. . .
            10.) Manny Pacquiao - PACSMASH! first ever 8 division champ. . . weightclasses, and catchweights notwithstanding - if it was so easy, how come ain't nobody else done it? THE MODERN DAY HENRY ARMSTRONG. . . Beat Mexican Legends Eric Morales Twice, MAB Twice, JMM once. . . Look up pound for pound in the dictionary and right behind sugar ray and armstrong you'll see pac
            Why do you call Gans and Duran the two greatest lightweights of all time... but yet you have Benny Leonard ahead of both?

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
              1.) Sugar Ray Robinson.
              2.) Joe Gans
              3.) Henry Armstrong
              4.) Roberto Duran
              5.) Benny Leonard
              6.) Harry Greb
              7.) Les Darcy loljk sorry McGoorty. Sugar Ray Leonard
              8.) Willie Pep
              9.) Joe Louis
              10.) Muhammad Ali

Problem with the reasoning for putting Pacquiao in on account of the 8 division championships is that, for example Sugar Ray Robinson, to have achieved that, he would have had to have won every title in boxing.

Titles and divisions are not as meaningful as they used to be, not by a long shot. Especially when you factor in that one of those titles came by catchweight. Seriously what the **** is that?

Still Pacquiao's weight has spanned greater than SRR's and Henry Armstrong's. . . Even if there were less weight classes, Pacquiao still spanned more weight. . . Also, it's not all about being 8 division champ: The fact that he beat morales twice, MAB twice, and Marquez once (probably twice) is damn impressive. . . People get hung up on his last few fights like Mosley, rather than looking at the totality of his resume.

But I respect your opinion, just like everybody else who makes an intelligent argument about why they believe Pacquiao isn't as deserving as I believe him to be. . . That's what makes boxing so great - it's so subjective.
              Last edited by UglyPug; 10-17-2011, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                Why do you call Gans and Duran the two greatest lightweights of all time... but yet you have Benny Leonard ahead of both?
                Because of their respective accomplishments at lightweight in comparison to Leonard's entire career. Upon futher review, I'm switching Gans and Leonard, though. . . I think the conditions he fought in his era (in comparison to the more "posh" rules Duran fought under) entitle him to a greater spot. All three you could arguably make a case for the greatest lightweight of all time.

Totality of careers: Leonard only had 6 losses compared to 90 wins and 70 KO's - whereas Duran had 103 wins (70 KO's), but had 16 losses. Just something about Duran at lightweight. . . It's like he was a MW fighting at lightweight. I'd definitely pick Duran over leonard @ 135. . . But "era for era" I think Leonard deserves a higher spot. LIke I said, it's really a good argument for Gans, Leonard, and Duran.
                Last edited by UglyPug; 10-17-2011, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SBleeder View Post
                  1. Sugar Ray Robinson
                  2. Henry Armstrong
                  3. Harrry Greb
                  4. Muhammad Ali
                  5. Sam Langford
                  6. Willie Pep
                  7. Ezzard Charles
                  8. Carlos Monzon
                  9. Joe Gans
                  10. Archie Moore

Pacquiao in the top 35 at bet. He has won FOUR world titles- Linear titles, not alphabet portions of titles, are what count.

Still, his career has spanned more pounds than Robinson's and Armstrong's. . . I still say if it's so easy to win alphanet titles in 8 weight classes with catchweights, why hasn't anybody else done it? I think Manny's combination of speed and power, along with his amazing ability to win titles against world class fighters at so many weight classes, entitle him to being the 10th best fighter of all time. . .

I think it's easier to justify Manny's positioning than Carlos Monzon at number 8, or Ezzard Charles at number 7. . I feel ya on the Sam Langford ranking, though. . . I really fux with Langford - one of hte most underrated and unknown BEASTS there is!
                  Last edited by UglyPug; 10-17-2011, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Still, his career has spanned more pounds than Robinson's and Armstrong's. . . I still say if it's so easy to win alphanet titles in 8 weight classes with catchweights, why hasn't anybody else done it? I think Manny's combination of speed and power, along with his amazing ability to win titles against world class fighters at so many weight classes, entitle him to being the 10th best fighter of all time. . .
                    So where is Jimmy Mclarnin in your list? He has spanned as many Lbs as Manny Pacquaio.

He may not have won World Titles in all those weight classes because it's eaiser to win titles now but he went from Flyweight to Welterweight beating HOF'ers.

I think it's easier to justify Manny's positioning than Carlos Monzon at number 8, or Ezzard Charles at number 7. . I feel ya on the Sam Langford ranking, though. . . I really fux with Langford - one of hte most underrated and unknown BEASTS there is!
                    Why? Ezzard Charles being #7 is too low for him.

Ezzard Charles has one of the greatest and most stacked resumes of all time he is a minimum Top 10 ATG and absolutely without question greater than Manny Pacquaio.

Comment

Working...
                    X