Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's Be Real, Floyd Mayweather Would've Beaten Sugar Ray Robinson If They Fought

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gentlemen, more good work smacking around our 'tard population thank you!

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rebel View Post
      I hate it when people downplay too much the modern fighters, because of the love of the past favorite fighters. Boxing fans who have been watching it for 3-4 decades already barely accepts that the newer fighters can be as good sometimes better as the past boxers. However this time it's pretty obvious that the past boxer is absolutely better than the current.

SRR wins this one w/ authority.
      Every thing sounds better hearing it from your dad or someone at your barbershop instead of actually being alive to watch them.

Comment

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
        Yeah I saw the footage and Floyd wasnt beaten up. Spaddy did well though. It actually looked like a real sparring session atleast. I cant just take words passed on when I dont have access to video or something to view the fights. Didnt know he beat Langford or Flowers so I consider myself schooled on that. Then to I havent seen either of the two fight either. From what's available its no way he could win against anybody today. And Baldo would have been the same weight class probably in that time period because he wasnt even a natural WW in this time period.
        If you are thinking Sam Langford which I suspect you are, it's not. It's Willie Langford, another black fighter.

The point is he crossed the colour line, plenty of times.

So why comment on it, then? If you don't know Harry Greb crossed the colour line then it's obvious you know little about him. So why comment? Why not go out and learn about him instead of just assuming? Then maybe you wouldn't say things like Baldomir would beat him.

Yes, I already stated they could meet at MW in the orginal 8. But again, Greb would have the size advantage......and every other advantage.....

Originally posted by studentofthegam View Post
        How many of these fights have you seen? and Who of the ATG's today could he beat? He's only good for the early 1900's.
        I haven't seen any fights of Harry Greb. There aren't any.

But I don't need footage to know Harry Greb was one of the greatest fighters ever. Nor do I need any to KNOW he would beat Carlos Baldomir.

The guy beat Gene Tunney with one eye! I KNOW he would beat Baldomir.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Rebel View Post
          I hate it when people downplay too much the modern fighters, because of the love of the past favorite fighters. Boxing fans who have been watching it for 3-4 decades already barely accepts that the newer fighters can be as good sometimes better as the past boxers. However this time it's pretty obvious that the past boxer is absolutely better than the current.

SRR wins this one w/ authority.
          My top 20 pretty much covers boxing since the turn of the century pretty evenly. Thing is whilst there are peaks and troughs you will generally find a couple of fighters from each era standing above the rest. Thing is that gets us wrinklies annoyed is the fact that suddenly in this era we have ten fighters that simply must be in any top 20 all time.
          Still in 20 years the new generation will be criticising fighters from your era that you know were very good fighters then you'll understand a bit better

Comment

Originally posted by GJC View Post
            My top 20 pretty much covers boxing since the turn of the century pretty evenly. Thing is whilst there are peaks and troughs you will generally find a couple of fighters from each era standing above the rest. Thing is that gets us wrinklies annoyed is the fact that suddenly in this era we have ten fighters that simply must be in any top 20 all time.
            Still in 20 years the new generation will be criticising fighters from your era that you know were very good fighters then you'll understand a bit better
            The truth is, the vast majority of the fighters being touted as "great" today won't even be remembered 10 years from now. That happens in EVERY generation. Hindsight removes the missgiven tag of greatness from the detritus that inevitably gets over-hyped simply because they're active NOW.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
              The truth is, the vast majority of the fighters being touted as "great" today won't even be remembered 10 years from now. That happens in EVERY generation. Hindsight removes the missgiven tag of greatness from the detritus that inevitably gets over-hyped simply because they're active NOW.

Poet
              mass effect eats star wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky Lamotta View Post
                mass effect eats star wars.
                I don't know.....Revenge of the Sith was a damn good movie. Then again I don't watch movies for the special effects :hah9:

Poet

Comment

The size difference between the two is too much for Floyd. At 135 I could imagine Floyd giving some of the ATG LW's some issues but not the ATG WW's.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    If you are thinking Sam Langford which I suspect you are, it's not. It's Willie Langford, another black fighter.

The point is he crossed the colour line, plenty of times.

So why comment on it, then? If you don't know Harry Greb crossed the colour line then it's obvious you know little about him. So why comment? Why not go out and learn about him instead of just assuming? Then maybe you wouldn't say things like Baldomir would beat him.

Yes, I already stated they could meet at MW in the orginal 8. But again, Greb would have the size advantage......and every other advantage.....

I haven't seen any fights of Harry Greb. There aren't any.

But I don't need footage to know Harry Greb was one of the greatest fighters ever. Nor do I need any to KNOW he would beat Carlos Baldomir.

The guy beat Gene Tunney with one eye! I KNOW he would beat Baldomir.
                    Yeah I was thinking Sam. It isnt the worst assumption in the world because it was the U.S. in 1920. Many black sportsmen didnt get a fair shake in 1920. It could barely even be called freedom. Without watching the fights I cant even take your word that it wasnt any funny business in the fights with blacks he did have. But regardless of that I'll admit when I'm wrong as I did. You may be able to call him great without video. I'll give that much slack but when it comes to fantasy match-ups there is no way to give him the nod over today's fighters. Tall tales wont suffice for that.

Comment

• Funny, even while watching today's fights as they happen how do I know there isn't any Don King "funny business" going on? :jerk0ff9:

Poet

Comment

Working...
                      X