No announcement yet.

How to throw a low Jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to throw a low Jab?

Lately just out of curiosity I've been trying to throw a low jab similar to how guys like froch, mayweather, vitali or Tony would throw it, almost from the hip. I'm a sputhpaw so I've gotten used to using wee tricks to confuse my opponents and set traps so occasionally throwing a jab when my arm is low would be a good little trick. And when sparring people who throw it from that position I tend to struggle sometimes because it's just an awkward place to throw it from and it's harder to see coming than a regular jab. When I try it though it just doesn't feel right. It doesn't flow the way a normal jab should and my shoulder doesn't feel nice and relaxed like it should when throeing a jab. Any tips you guys can give me?

I don't know if this helps but it kind of depends how you want to use it. For a solid jab with something behind it, I lift it up about 6-8" like I am bringing it back up for a guard and then snap it out as I bring my elbow up. All of it is done pretty quick so it still looks like it's off the hip. If I ever shoot it straight from the hip it's a range finder or a setup shot. Leaning to the left just before you fire it from the hip helps as well because instead of bringing your hand up, your shoulder comes down to load it a little and then fire away.

Comment

Bend your knees, not your waist. And dont lean it, just bend your knees and throw it straight and it will land on the body like Floyd does it. I wouldn't pay attention to Froch's technique too much as he is very unorthodox in his fighting style.

Comment

Originally posted by Salim_Shady View Post
        Bend your knees, not your waist. And dont lean it, just bend your knees and throw it straight and it will land on the body like Floyd does it. I wouldn't pay attention to Froch's technique too much as he is very unorthodox in his fighting style.
        is this a jab firing off the hips or are you just describing a jab to the body?

Also, Froch's jab is massively underrated. He won most of Kesseler 2 and Abraham just off that thing cobra flick.

Comment

Sorry I should have made clear I mean a jab from the hip not a jab to the body

Comment

Originally posted by CLUNG3-TANK View Post
            is this a jab firing off the hips or are you just describing a jab to the body?

Also, Froch's jab is massively underrated. He won most of Kesseler 2 and Abraham just off that thing cobra flick.
            Body, my bad the title wasn't particulary clearly.

Comment

Working...
            X