No announcement yet.

Forum Picks Greatest Middleweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingAustralia View Post
    Greb is so ****ing overrated its not funny. There isn't even any damn video of the guy and the few training videos of his that are around, are pathetic to say the least. Theres a video of him shadowboxing where he looks like a ******ed child trying to catch a butterfly.
    Up until recently you had trainers alive who had seen several generations of fighters. Some of these trainers had also worked with several generations of fighters. i am not sure of the math...but basically you had well respected pundits who had known Greb, and known monzon and perhaps Hagler. many of these people claimed that Greb was the best. Gene Tunney who fought Greb also felt that Greb was "that good." Tunney lived a long time and could compare Greb to modern fighters.

Film footage is great to have but not the only way to tell the skill of a great fighter.

Comment

I voted for maniac Monzon here, because he trailed in voting.

The Ring Magazine recently had 24 experts comparing nine middleweights and its result was: 1) SRR, 2) Hagler, 3) Jones Jr, 4) Monzon, 5) LaMotta, 6) Golovkin, 7) Hopkins, 8) Toney, 9) Benvenuti.

One voice about Monzon was: "The downside to Monzon is that he fought a lot of elite fighters but he didn't fight them at their peak."

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post

The Ring Magazine recently had 24 experts comparing nine middleweights and its result was: 1) SRR, 2) Hagler, 3) Jones Jr, 4) Monzon, 5) LaMotta, 6) Golovkin, 7) Hopkins, 8) Toney, 9) Benvenuti.

One voice about Monzon was: "The downside to Monzon is that he fought a lot of elite fighters but he didn't fight them at their peak."
        Geez BB that kinda makes no sense.... Why would Monzon only go to the body when fighting elite competition? I would think he would try to hit them in their peak as much as anywhere else!

Sorry couldn't resist. Been driving all day and after one sees the third traffic sign that says "slow children at play" You start to realize grammer, and what a period would do for that sentence and you get visions of a lot of stupid kids playing with "dance of the sugar plum fairies" blaring in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post

Griffith and Napoles were too small anyway.

Comment

Marvin Hagler

Comment

Originally posted by KnockoutNed View Post
              Marvin Hagler
              Everyone agrees on four out of the top 5. The new wildcard is Jones, who seems to have replaced the perennial Ketchel in the top 5. I am not sure how Ketchel would do among the moderns. Maybe he was no wilder than Maidana, in which case he might do pretty well.

Comment

Sugar Ray Robinson...........

Comment

I think Lamotta could beat any of them on any given night. He could also take a beating from any of them on any given night.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                    I think Lamotta could beat any of them on any given night. He could also take a beating from any of them on any given night.
                    I think so too. His whole style was troublesome. Despite his one heroic KO at the last second, he was not a big puncher. I would pick him to beat a lot of big punchers like Graziano and possibly even Zale.

Comment

Working...
                    X