No announcement yet.

Need tips vs southpaws

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need tips vs southpaws

I need tips fighting southpaws. It seems im only able to fight them with just jabs.

YouTube Mayweather/Guerrero... Watch the right hand mayweather throws and that right hook.... Just some good film study i guess.. I don't have time to break it down but right hands... If the guy is leading with his power hand in the southpaw stance that is a whole nother can of worms and maybe i can break that down at a later time... Maybe watch Andre Ward vs Chad Dawson i know there some video breakdown of it from a coach that post on the Boxingscene.

Comment

my coach always used to say put your left foot outside there right foot and use your right hand and left hook

Comment

I always hated fighting southpaws. I can honestly say they are the reason I didn't get very far in boxing.

There are the basics as DosRounds mentioned. Circle to the left away from their left hand trying to keep you left foot outside their right foot. The jab might work but a straight right is the lead of choice for most boxers. Remember lefties will do the same with their left so a follow up hook is a great after the right. Lefties will counter your straight right with their own right hook so if are not throwing your own hook, keep that hand up.

These are some of the basics, I may have left some out but the best way to do any of this is by practicing against lefties and getting the experience with them. I am sure there a lot of guys here that can offer more than me.
        Last edited by TBear; 12-25-2013, 03:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostFighter View Post
          I need tips fighting southpaws. It seems im only able to fight them with just jabs.
          Lol, of all the tools that you could possibly pull out on a southpaw a consistant jab is like pulling a knife at a gun fight.

the best advice that I could give against a south paw is this: punch that southpaw in his face and then when he tries to punch you back....... move!

,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Rockin'

Comment

Tread on their lead foot

Comment

Keep your lead foot outside theirs...Although I have heard George Foreman say that that doesn't matter and should just get that close to them that feet dont matter, but the lead foot is something that pops up a lot when discussing tactics against southpaws, as does the right hand

Comment

Look up videos that are guides for southpaws, tips ect ... because you can just vice-versa.

I'm Southpaw and that's what I did, "How to beat a southpaw", you can apply it to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by DosRounds View Post
                  my coach always used to say put your left foot outside there right foot and use your right hand and left hook
                  ^^^^ This is 50% of it. The trick is knowing how to set these moves up and knowing when to do them along with the footwork involved. As someone said, watch film.

Comment

This is my opinion, but there's only so much general and vague advice we can offer here on the web. The thing is, like all fighters, not all southpaws are going to fight the same. Say you were a pro, would you fight Pacquiao and Lara the same? Of coarse not, so yes there are certain basic rules and fundamentals you must know about fighting southpaws but you have to approach every southpaw differently because of varying styles.

Comment

Working...
                    X