• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I loved Ali's highlight reel KO of Foreman - it was a thing of beauty

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
        I watched it live in Zaire as a boy. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.
        lol u for real?

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        I loved Ali's highlight reel KO of Foreman - it was a thing of beauty
        Yes it was, that right hand and just the way Ali came off the ropes, in the blink of an eye Foreman went from aggressor to loser.

Comment

I saw this fight live on closed circuit TV at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles. Almost everyone thought this would be the end of Ali. It was shocking to watch Foreman slowly fall apart. It reminds me a little bit going in of Kovalev-Hopkins, except of course Ali was 32 and not 49.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
            I saw this fight live on closed circuit TV at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles. Almost everyone thought this would be the end of Ali. It was shocking to watch Foreman slowly fall apart. It reminds me a little bit going in of Kovalev-Hopkins, except of course Ali was 32 and not 49.
            So I'm not crazy to think Hopkins might pull of the same thing, just not as on dramatic a scale? Because I told someone that like 2 days after the fight was signed.

Comment

Disappointing fight. Ali did expose how limited Foreman was, though.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                So I'm not crazy to think Hopkins might pull of the same thing, just not as on dramatic a scale? Because I told someone that like 2 days after the fight was signed.
                I'm picking the Russian, but you can't ignore the fact that someone who has never seen the 9th round might there for the first time against a living legend. And your right about the dramatic scale. Kovalev's reputation now is just a fraction of what Foreman's was then. He was considered as indestructible as Liston before Clay and Tyson before Buster.

Comment

I was a young man back then....and Ali meant more to me than anyone before or since.

Exceeded only by Nelson Mandela and Dr.King...

I went to the Boston Garden to watch the fight,as I also did the Thrilla in Manila....such was PPV.

In terms of tension and suspense,this fight probably ranks 3rd,after Thrilla and Cooney/Holmes.

Reason being,most including myself feared for Ali's safety...it was a foregone conclusion that Foreman was the winner.

The fight itself proved once and for all why Ali is the Greatest...no one had more heart and intelligence in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    lol u for real?
                    Yes...I'll post some pics one day.

Comment

Awesome man and yes some parallels between Ali and Kovalev the/ Hopkins

I'm picking the Russian, but you can't ignore the fact that someone who has never seen the 9th round might there for the first time against a living legend. And your right about the dramatic scale. Kovalev's reputation now is just a fraction of what Foreman's was then. He was considered as indestructible as Liston before Clay and Tyson before Buster.
                      Lol Kovalev's reputation is nowhere near what Foreman was 40 years ago

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
                      Yes...I'll post some pics one day.
                      Man that's sick, plz do

Comment

Working...
                      X