No announcement yet.

Prime Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Sonny Liston vs Larry Holmes

Were not talking about the Sonny Liston who fought Cassius Clay in 1964.

Were talking about Prime Sonny Liston from 1959-1961.

Who would win the battle of the jabs? Would the speed of Holmes jab dictate the fight,or would Liston's 84" reach be the deciding factor?

I don't believe Holmes could hurt Liston,but Sonny could hurt and even stop Holmes if he lands one of his powerfull punches.

Who do you think would win and why?

Originally posted by boxing boy View Post
    Were not talking about the Sonny Liston who fought Cassius Clay in 1964.

Were talking about Prime Sonny Liston from 1959-1961.

Who would win the battle of the jabs? Would the speed of Holmes jab dictate the fight,or would Liston's 84" reach be the deciding factor?

I don't believe Holmes could hurt Liston,but Sonny could hurt and even stop Holmes if he lands one of his powerfull punches.

Who do you think would win and why?
    good fight, Holmes even in his prime didn't have half the head movement that Ali had to avoid the jab - so I see him taking some big shots, but still probably knocking Liston out or Ud him by a solid margin simply because he's better than Liston.

Comment

Yea, a real tough match here.

Two amazing jabbers. Both had a fantastic reach (over 82 inches). Sonny's was heavier, Larry's was faster.

If they were to have met prime for prime, ie Holmes 1981 vs Liston 1959. I'd shade Larry by a whisker. I think he might well steal a close points verdict over 15 rounds, Larry was only ever stopped by prime Tyson in three decades in the sport (and that was when he was 38, overweight and two years out of the ring, against prime Mike!). I think prime Larry's chin would hold up.

But I rate these guys both in my top ten heavyweights list. A real tough call!

Comment

Holmes on points in a close fight. Would be a classic IMO. Holmes had enough of an edge in overall boxing skill to eek it out, and the chin to take Liston's big shots.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
          Holmes on points in a close fight. Would be a classic IMO. Holmes had enough of an edge in overall boxing skill to eek it out, and the chin to take Liston's big shots.

Poet

I agree with this. I think Holmes would struggle with Liston the same way he did with Mike Weaver. Weaver's jab and power troubled Holmes and had him in trouble at times. But Holmes boxing skills would find a way for Holmes to earn a close decision.

Comment

Holmes by UD, a great fight, would have made history for sure. Holmes was just faster, he was also a strong man, even if Liston is clearly stronger, i don't see Liston landing a KO punch on Holmes.

Comment

Great fight; but I'd give the edge to Holmes based on his speed and heart. Larry by later round TKO. Sonny never had to fight that long against an opponent who wasn't scared of him. Larry would stop him....or Sonny would "stop himself" later in the fight, IMO.

Comment

Working...
              X