MMA fighter wants ost accuses gsp of steriod use

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMA fighter wants ost accuses gsp of steriod use

Koscheck wants Olympic-style testing, GSP says let's do it

Floyd Mayweather supposedly wanted to clean up boxing and make the sport safer when he asked all opponents including a possible future combatant, Manny Pacquiao, to submit to blood testing by USADA. Shane Mosley agreed, passed with flying colors but let's just say he appeared to get old overnight in last month's superfight.

Is it time for MMA's biggest fights to also go the Olympic-style testing route? During today's media day for Season 12 of "The Ultimate Fighter," Josh Koscheck said he wants fellow coach and future opponent, Georges St. Pierre to undergo the same testing he saw in the lead up to Mayweather-Mosley.

"From what I've heard from other fighters in other camps, yeah, (St. Pierre) has done steroids," Koscheck told Las Vegas Sun. "That's just speculation, but it's a possibility. The guy is pretty ripped all year."

Koscheck isn't the first fighter who's openly accused St. Pierre of trying to get that extra edge. It was part of B.J. Penn's prefight and postfight accusations at UFC 94. Only urine testing was in place before that Las Vegas fight. It sounds like the Penn camp is still not convinced GSP is clean,.

"B.J. Penn and his camp gave me a little phone call," Koscheck told MMA Junkie. "They were saying, 'Yeah, he's on steroids. He's this; he's that.' I said, 'Yeah, there's a possibility.' The guy is pretty ripped all year round."
    Koscheck is ready to submit his blood before the TUF 12 coaches meet sometime in December.

"I would love to do it; why not?" Koscheck asked. "I think Olympic-style testing would be great for our sport. At least you do it a couple times out from the fight. I think it will be a great idea."
    The usually calculated St. Pierre fired back immediately.

"I stand for that more than anybody else," St. Pierre said. "I just hope it will happen soon because I know a lot of people cheat in this sport, and it's unacceptable. I am all for random blood testing. Nobody in the UFC agrees on that more than me."

St. Pierre even went as far as suggesting that the sport does have an issue with PED use.
    "What I'm saying is, I just hope it's going to happen soon," St. Pierre said. "I don't know who is using it and I'm not going to say names, but I want it to happen. What makes a good fighter is a lot of things: genetics, style, skills, heart. But now, there's another factor that influences a fight and that's the team of doctors behind the fighter. This should not be an element that helps a fighter."

St. Pierre sounds like he's sick of the allegations and wants to clear his name once and for all.
    "I have no problem — any time he wants," St. Pierre said. "I'm not a coward and somebody that uses steroids is a cheater. I am not afraid of Josh Koscheck and I don't have to cheat to beat him."

It's likely the fight could be in Toronto (if the sport gets licensed in Ontario) or even Pittsburgh. Las Vegas could be another destination for the end of 2010 card. What hurdles could there be if both fighters agree to the testing? Possibly the UFC, which would have to foot the bill. Top Rank Promotions and Golden Boy Promotions paid for the testing before and after the Mayweather-Mosley fight.

This would be great for the sport. All main events should be held to this level of scrutiny. If it happens, let's hope both fighters get through the testing without a hitch and GSP or Koscheck don't suffer a Mosley-like fate with their gas tank on fight night.

What Has Floyd Started!!!!

Comment

Sooner or later OSDT will be done in all sports. Hopefully

Comment

MMA definitely has a steroid problem.

I'd be willing to guesstimate that at least 40% of their fighters are on some kind of PEDs.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather.

The Torch Bearer.

Comment

Props to GSP.

Comment

How is OST about catching HGH? Because that is likely what GSP uses if anything.

Comment

Originally posted by fugu View Post
                How is OST about catching HGH? Because that is likely what GSP uses if anything.
                you get away with murder if you on that but the only athlete that tested positive for it was during a random blood test

Comment

Koscheck is an idiot, and someone being in good shape all year round doesn't prove anything. Loads of guys have good physiques 12 months of the year.

Still, combat sports need better drug testing so it's good that GSP is agreeable. Considering how the UFC makes so much money from its fighters I hope they're the ones who pay for it though.

Comment

Wow what a idea.gsp hates that people accuse him of this. So what does he want to do about it? Actually take the test? What a crazy thought

Comment

Working...
                    X