Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't we see the Joe Frazier style anymore?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by res View Post
    Well Tyson and Frazier didn't exactly have the same kind of style all though continual bobbing and weaving are used in both styles. Tyson's style was more like Floyd Patterson's and was less stressful than Frazier's style. Using the bobbing/weaving style as a pure brawler like Frazier takes ridiculously hard work and I don't think we are likely to see any more of that in Boxing. However there is a chance that we may see more Boxers within the Peekabo/Tyson-Patterson mold who use their Bobbing and weaving more intentionally, and who land while closing in instead of just staying in the pocket indefinitely and wailing away..
    Yeah, there are similarities and differences in Frazier's and Tyson's styles. The main similarity is obviously the consistent head movement.

But even on Tyson's style ; we don't see that anymore either. The peek-a-boo, bob and weave type style he had, with the high guard.

Comment

Originally posted by Billolden View Post
      it's sloppy. That's how the guy wanted to fight and he was successful but i'll be damned if another Joe Frazier kind of guy wins a gold medal anytime soon
      1.) I don't see how you can label a dedicated style like Frazier's as "sloppy", especially when it made so many punches miss him or barely connect with him.

2.) The amateurs these days are ****, and could benefit greatly from more Joe Fraziers.

Comment

because heavyweights today r bums!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Lamon Brewster comes close but he burned out very quickly. Had some very exciting fights during his reign.

Comment

ive seen guys use it at amateur tournaments and just get no points whatsoever, the punches are just too close and cant be seen by the judges, the only time they get paid is if they land a big hook up stairs, and plus its just so energy consuming

its not really the best way to fight short IMO, when i spar or fight taller gys i like to move side to side, catch the jab, throw lots of feints, counter their shots and attack at angles, bobbing and weaving like tyson and frazier is just too damn hard to pull off and plus it gets no points

Comment

Frazier was quite hard to hit in his prime before the eye and back problems had not yet arrived for him. Later on he got by with sheer toughness and willpower.

Early on Frazier boxed from a more straight-up stance with less head movement until his trainers changed him into a Henry Armstrong style constant pressure fighter with the trademark bobbing & weaving.

It's obviously a very demanding style and I can't remember any user of that particular style being successful in their 30's.

The 5'9 cruiserweight champion Giacobbe Fragomeni has some similarities in the way he uses head and body movement to get in close to his opponents.

You're right that there aren't too many Frazier's around these days but then again there weren't too many throughout boxing history.

Lamon Brewster comes close but he burned out very quickly. Had some very exciting fights during his reign.
              My biggest criticism of Lamon Brewster has always been how he uses very little head movement in his fights. He is taller than Tyson and Frazier for sure but eating jab after jab is surely not the best way to go on about your business.

Very tough customer though and definitely has stylistic similarities to Tyson and Frazier, also his left hook.

ive seen guys use it at amateur tournaments and just get no points whatsoever, the punches are just too close and cant be seen by the judges, the only time they get paid is if they land a big hook up stairs, and plus its just so energy consuming

its not really the best way to fight short IMO, when i spar or fight taller gys i like to move side to side, catch the jab, throw lots of feints, counter their shots and attack at angles, bobbing and weaving like tyson and frazier is just too damn hard to pull off and plus it gets no points
              I'd advice short boxers to fight like Dwight Qawi used to. Not necessarily in the amateurs but in professional boxing.

A less taxing style than Frazier's but still very effective:

Dick Tiger was also highly effective despite being short in stature:

Last edited by TheGreatA; 05-28-2009, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Mormeck was a similar fighter of sorts to Frazier, Tyson was a Peek a Boo fighter, as far as i know the only 3 fighters to use the true peek a boo at world level were Patterson Torres and Tyson all Cus fighters.

Comment

Juan Diaz uses a reasonably similar style. He actually has good defense as well, somewhat underrated defense in fact, much like Frazier. Obviously doesn't have the crushing power of Frazier but uses his style to great effect and success.

Comment

It takes alot of discipline, alot of heart and commitment cliché I know but its true.
                    It puts alot of pressure on your back.

Comment

If you never watched Jean Marc Mormeck box you will be in for a treat if you like watching Joe Frazier box. He employs a very similar style to Frazier. Also his fights tend to be action packed because he is very good at forcing the action in a fight by swarming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ahEBKSfcpI
                      Enjoy.

I've boxed quite a few people who have employed that style and one of its main disadvantages is that even when punches land on the hands and forearms of the boxer the judges will score some of the blows as clean hits. I had a match about a year ago against a guy who was very proficient at swarming in using a style similar to this. He controlled the fight and landed more clean punches on me than I did to him, but because I threw more straight punches while he came forward it gave the judges the illusion that I was landing clean straight punches on him when in reality most of the punches were deflecting off his gloves which caused them to score the fight in my favor.I think because the style is physically demanding as El Cabron said along with it not being very conducive to amateur boxing it may have lost it's populairty abit.

Comment

Working...
                      X