No announcement yet.

"Close Fights Are NEVER Robberies"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Close Fights Are NEVER Robberies"

I've heard this line of thought many times. Do you agree or disagree?

I always see it as robbery if the right guy doesn't get his well earned decision.

It could be as close as winning 6 rounds and scoring 1 knockdown or 7-5 fight. If the fight isn't called for him, he was robbed.

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
    Close fights are never robberies.

100% agree. When a fight is won or lost on 1 or 2 points its uncommon you can't make an argument for this round or that round going the other way. Many boxing fans are masters of extreme opinions & stances doe thus rarely see the middle ground so Sundays are what they are sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
      I've heard this line of thought many times. Do you agree or disagree?

I always see it as robbery if the right guy doesn't get his well earned decision.

It could be as close as winning 6 rounds and scoring 1 knockdown or 7-5 fight. If the fight isn't called for him, he was robbed.
      I mentioned this in another thread. The closeness of the fight has nothing to do with the actions of the judge if he is corrupt or biased. A judge can easily sway a fight in favor of his guy by easily changing a round or two. If anything, a close fight makes a corrupt judge's job easier.

The problem is scoring in boxing is subjective, so how can you really prove if the judge is corrupt, biased, or incompetent.

Comment

Not a robbery

But Ward doesn't deserve the decision

He had a much bigger case for losing. There needs to be a clear winner to apportion credit. I don't feel anything has changed much after the fight, than before. Titles changed hands, but it means little

Comment

If it's an either way fight then obviously it's not a robbery.

For a fight to be a robbery a fighter has to have won 7 clear cut rounds that aren't debatable and still lost the decision I.e Whitaker vs Chavez for example.

There is no way Kovalev clearly won 6 of the 12 rounds beyond dispute (only needed 6 to win with the KD)

Comment

what i wonder is what made this fight close? ward's wrestling?

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              100% agree. When a fight is won or lost on 1 or 2 points its uncommon you can't make an argument for this round or that round going the other way. Many boxing fans are masters of extreme opinions & stances doe thus rarely see the middle ground so Sundays are what they are sometimes.

Agreed.

I have seen, for example, Morales-Barrera about 10 times and I very often come to a different score than I did the last time I had watched it. Sometimes, I come to the same score, but with different rounds.

Comment

In case of doubt the fight goes to the champion. Even more if he scored a KD and outlanded. Period. There's no way to justify it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzalez_Boxing View Post
                  The problem is scoring in boxing is subjective, so how can you really prove if the judge is corrupt, biased, or incompetent.
                  Exactly. Its easy, kinda fun I suppose & for sure dramatic to say something is a robbery, but based on the nutty ass scoring system of boxing its much much harder to prove a robbery is a robbery. And this wasn't a robbery any way. It was a close fight that coulda went either way or been a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                    In case of doubt the fight goes to the champion. Even more if he scored a KD and outlanded. Period. There's no way to justify it.
                    Fight scoring doesn't work like that. You score each round individually what happened in previous or future rounds has no influence on that round.

Comment

Working...
                    X