No announcement yet.

Brutal Sparring session

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
    I'm thinking he did this to show you how tough boxing really is, and that you need to experience this now and understand what you are getting into. It's an old school mentality to show brutality to a newcomer to gauge them, and see if they have the mindset or the heart to go through it. They don't like wasting their time, or yours in the long run.

Now, I don't agree with this practice because I think it's ******ed and an old-school mentality that needs to be erased.
    Thank you for your perspective, I was trying to reason why someone would do that as I was untrained and my guard was constantly getting split, I honestly don't even know what to watch for, I was more looking for openings but there wasn't really more than 2-5 seconds where my head wasn't getting snapped back. I was hoping to learn some fundamentals prior to being subjected to something like that as I don't see how it could be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by SniXSniPe View Post
      I'm thinking he did this to show you how tough boxing really is, and that you need to experience this now and understand what you are getting into. It's an old school mentality to show brutality to a newcomer to gauge them, and see if they have the mindset or the heart to go through it. They don't like wasting their time, or yours in the long run.

Now, I don't agree with this practice because I think it's ******ed and an old-school mentality that needs to be erased.
      Thank you for your perspective. I was trying to think of a reason why someone would do that as I was virtually clueless as to what to do. My guard was constantly getting split and there wasn't a period of more than 2-5 seconds where my neck was getting snapped back from a punch. I just don't see how beating someone's ass without proper training or knowledge on how to defend yourself would give you a dose of how boxing really is. I would almost guarantee I would have received at least three standing 8 counts as opposed to just getting pummeled for 6 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        your coach gave you a busted lip, nose, and black eye after your 10th day in the gym?

9 inches in height difference. 40-50 lbs of weight [rpbably more in natural size because you're not in shape.]

yeah.

nope.

get the f#ck out of that gym!
        Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by Berkay1 View Post
          Damnnn , what a d*uchebag ! I hope someone will whoop his ass too. GTFO that gym asap.
          Thank you for commenting!

Comment

Yeah I had that happen to me a few months in. I was already sparring and usually going 50-70% and then one day coach throws me in with our top 3 fighters and each round they alternated beating the **** out of me. I felt humiliated and hated boxing but kept coming back and still go there.

I think (although your coach may have gone over the top) that he was just trying to see if you're a quitter or not. Getting your ass beat sucks but going back again and again shows you've got heart. Even if you don't want to be there get yourself to the gym and keep going because in the end it's for the better.

Comment

Anyone can bash a noob, it only proves they are a low down rotten ******, leave a bad (honest) review and find a new gym, one that doesnt beat the crap out of you before you learn any technique also you have to have the balls to refuse to spar untill you have good foot work good defensive maneuvers and can punch well, theres 0 point sparring until then imo,

Comment

Some folks in here trying to justify unneeded punishment by labeling it "old school mentality".... but that's just it, it's "old"

That's how people get concussions and early onset injuries that affect them for life. When their head and body isn't accustomed to bracing for shots by being in the right place with the right reactions.

Boxing is often times compared to chess (we've all heard it), every one can try to out think the other.. but there is also the factor of ability. Board isn't always even. Imagine playing without a Queen piece; that's your ability.

- I say that to say this -
                If you haven't instilled the ability for someone to defend them self, then don't be surprised when they take a beating... And don't be surprised if they quit or slander your name. It is never okay to take advantage of other folks, especially in boxing. New gym members shouldn't be looked at as fresh meat.

Comment

Dick move for a trainer. It doesn't even take a trained eye to see someone not doing the fundamental stuff you are supposed to do in order to not get wrecked.

I can't believe they have you sparring only 10 days in though. The sink or swim method of training might have had its time. It might work in spots(mainly places that don't have the luxuries of 1st world development where they can't afford to baby prospects forever) or for the rare person that's just cut out for it and doesn't mind taking lumps, but for most it is a bunk method of learning.
                  Last edited by Biolink; 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM.

Comment

That's boxing for you. It's not like any other sport, it's fighting. That's what happens in a street fight if not worse. Everybody gets their ass kicked at first but if your trainer constantly does that and doesn't show you what you did wrong then that is a problem. Did he tell you your mistakes?

Comment

Are you paying to train at the gym or is your trainer training you for free?

If you're paying money to be trained, then there is no way he should have put you through that "test", since he isn't wasting his time when he is getting paid to train you.

If he is teaching you for free, I can see why he want to put you through hell early in order to gauge if he is wasting his time or not.

Just my humble opinion

To give you perspective from my experience. I started boxing in my high school club. My coach volunteered his time to teach us boxing, so he wasn't paid. Even so, we didn't start sparring until we were taught the fundamentals. ie. jab, basic foot work, and basic defenses. He also eased us into sparring by having us do drill sparring at first.

Comment

Working...
                      X