Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In retrospect, how does Cortez let Marquez-Pac 1 continue, but stop Ishida-Kirkland?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rights4Gays View Post
    Watching it again Kirkland could have continued but Cortez has never been consistent.

He's one of those high profile refs that always does things that get your attention.

Hopkins vs Calzaghe holding was allowed.
    Hatton May holding split up almost straight away.
    Ortiz May thing he didn't even see... which should never be the case
    Khan was allowed to hold more VS Maidana
    He's one of those high profile refs who's always looking for attention. That's why Kenny Bayless is the man. He tends to hover a bit too much, but there's no stupid catchphrases, no unnecessary talking, rarely does he interfere where it's not merited. He stays out of the way as much as possible and does his job like a pro. He's the anti-Joe Cortez.

Comment

I don't know. Both men scored 3 clean knock downs and Marquez seemed a bit more hurt than Kirkland. The 3 knockdowns of Marquez were spread out over maybe two minutes or so. Ishida seem to keep knocking Kirkland down within a few seconds of Kirkland getting up. It seemed like Ishida could not miss Kirkland's chin. Three clean knock downs is three clean knock downs. For consistency Cortez should have either stopped both fights or let both fights continue. About 95% of the time referees stop fights when a fighter has been cleanly knocked down three times in the same round. I am not sure I agree with this policy but it seems to be standard procedure.

Comment

****ing cortez is an awful ref. guy sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Splinter View Post
          ****ing cortez is an awful ref. guy sucks.

Remember the Soto/Lorenzo fight? That was one of the worst nights of officiating in the history of the sport

skip to 10:00 minutes of the vid

Comment

Juan Manuel Marquez is no fucking Ishida! Cortez did a hell of a job in that fight. He knew that Marquez wasn't done...had he fucked up, we would have been robbed of such a great rivalry!

JMM-Pacquiao has to be one of the greatest rivalries in boxing history, glad I got to witness it all.

I will tell my grand kids about it one day.

Comment

Kirkland 173 on the night? Wow.

Still crazy that he was stopped in one round by Ishida.

I think he could have let it go on but he was in big trouble and that last KD was a heavy one.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                Kirkland 173 on the night? Wow.

Still crazy that he was stopped in one round by Ishida.

I think he could have let it go on but he was in big trouble and that last KD was a heavy one.

He was 174 against Molina. He'd probably be better off fighting at 160.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden View Post
                  The difference is Kirkland kept getting dropped and hurt by a featherfisted journeyman in Ishida so Cortez must have felt that there was something seriously wrong with Kirkland. In the Marquez/Pac fight Cortez expected that type of thing since it was a worldclass fight and Pac is a beast.
                  As much as your argument is the featherfisted Ishida, then cortez should have let kirkland continued. Coz Ishida's punch isn't hurting that much.

Pacs punches hurt marquez much than Ishida hurt Kirkland, the TS argument is valid the only thing is that Cortez is an ******* referee.

Same **** cortez did with Floyd-Hatton fight. Personally he shouldn't have gotten the HOF status coz he sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
                    Yeah doesn't look like it was that good a stoppage but I reckon Kirkland would have got taken out eventually. Ishida is a lot better than I gave him credit for, he troubled Pirog if most remember correctly. What he possessed was a really good straight right hand and it would have always landed on Kirkland as Kirkland squares up and doesn't move his head.
                    I'm not to convinced Ishida would've taken him out. Kirk has been dropped several times in the first round before; granted it was with Wolfe. Outside of Ishida he's stormed back with vengeance each time.

We'll never know, I just wish Cortez would've let it go like he did Pac-Marquez I.

Comment

Because he's only fair but firm when he wants too. He wouldn't let Ricky anywhere near Floyd, but when it's Hopkins turn he let Hopkins fight in a phone booth.

Comment

Working...
                      X