pushups or bench press

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wave View Post
    still stronger and look better than 99% of people in the gym
    a) Real strength comes from the legs and that is probably the reason why the wear those long baggy shorts. Notice the lack of calves? There is no way to substitute a heavy squat or leg press/hamstring curl/weighted calf raise.

b) Go to any gym and you will see guys who lift weights doing pull ups...sometimes with a dumbbell wrap wrap at their feet. There is nothing to say those guys never lift weights in a gym...they likely do.

I'm not taking anything away from those guys...they have done well and are in shape...just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by salem-no1 View Post
      Honestly i only read the first page of information but the all the advice is wrong and "bro-science" none of them actualy know what there talking about.

I study sport strength and conditioning at university, here is a proper explanation, take it or leave it.

It all depends on the rep range, amount of sets and resistance. For boxing, you want to build POWER and to get your maximum potential of your power you need STRENGH. Now how do you train strengh and power. Far to complex to go into the ins and outs on here, however.....

To train Strengh you want to be working at 90% of your 1RM with a rep range of 4-6, your intensions should be to move the weight as fast as you can, this will recruit fast twitch muscle fibres. When training power you need to be at 70% to 85% of your 1rm with a rep range of 3-5 sets ranging from 2-6 on both strengh and power depending on your exercises.

Doing high numbers of Press ups recruit slow twitch muscle the wrong sort of muscle fibres to build power and strengh, which is what we all want. Press ups build muscular endurance, something i prefer to gain from punching the bag, doing the pads, shadow boxing and sparring. The only practical use for press ups in training is not in my strength and conditioing sessions. In a boxing session inbetween rounds, you could bang out 20 press ups to simulate fatigue.

I know im going against the old school methods here and 99.999% percent of past and present champions havnt used these methods and look at there success and power in there punches. However science has advanced, look at every other sports training methods change within the last 20 years , where as boxing has been left in stone age.
      contact me on saidsalem@hotmail.co.uk if your interested in a personalized Strength and Conditioning program.
      how much do you charge for personalized training?

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
        a) Real strength comes from the legs and that is probably the reason why the wear those long baggy shorts. Notice the lack of calves? There is no way to substitute a heavy squat or leg press/hamstring curl/weighted calf raise.

b) Go to any gym and you will see guys who lift weights doing pull ups...sometimes with a dumbbell wrap wrap at their feet. There is nothing to say those guys never lift weights in a gym...they likely do.

I'm not taking anything away from those guys...they have done well and are in shape...just saying.
        i doubt those dudes you see in the gym squatting 600lbs could do a single muscle up

Comment

I doubt you have even been to a gym...lots of big guys in gyms are doing sets of pull-ups with heavy plates attached to a pull up belt dude. You can see videos online of Arnold and Ronnie Coleman doing them.

Comment

Originally posted by salem-no1 View Post
            Honestly i only read the first page of information but the all the advice is wrong and "bro-science" none of them actualy know what there talking about.

I study sport strength and conditioning at university, here is a proper explanation, take it or leave it.

It all depends on the rep range, amount of sets and resistance. For boxing, you want to build POWER and to get your maximum potential of your power you need STRENGH. Now how do you train strengh and power. Far to complex to go into the ins and outs on here, however.....

To train Strengh you want to be working at 90% of your 1RM with a rep range of 4-6, your intensions should be to move the weight as fast as you can, this will recruit fast twitch muscle fibres. When training power you need to be at 70% to 85% of your 1rm with a rep range of 3-5 sets ranging from 2-6 on both strengh and power depending on your exercises.

Doing high numbers of Press ups recruit slow twitch muscle the wrong sort of muscle fibres to build power and strengh, which is what we all want. Press ups build muscular endurance, something i prefer to gain from punching the bag, doing the pads, shadow boxing and sparring. The only practical use for press ups in training is not in my strength and conditioing sessions. In a boxing session inbetween rounds, you could bang out 20 press ups to simulate fatigue.

I know im going against the old school methods here and 99.999% percent of past and present champions havnt used these methods and look at there success and power in there punches. However science has advanced, look at every other sports training methods change within the last 20 years , where as boxing has been left in stone age.
            contact me on saidsalem@hotmail.co.uk if your interested in a personalized Strength and Conditioning program.

prime examples of slow twitch muscle building "press ups"...

you need to give all your clients a refund and quit that garbage school....

Comment

I think push ups is more beneficial for the chest as compared to bench press. Because there is a least chance of injuries and It also give the strength to your arms.

Comment

Working...
              X