Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Fighters Losing At A High Level - Train Everything

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If by pressure fighter, you mean a guy that is all guts and little skill. Then I somewhat agree with you. But there is(was?) a fraction of pressure fighters who are(were?) actually quite skilled at the art of pressure fighting. Hagler,Louis,Tyson,Lamotta are the first few that come to mind.

If you're referring to the guerrero vs mayweather fight, I'd have to point out that one of the most technical boxers of this era (marquez) actually had one of the most one sided beat downs by mayweather. Castillo (pressure fighter) had the most success. I personally believe pressure is how you're going to beat mayweather, unfortunately there are very few pressure fighters that can take the foot off the gas at the appropriate time to deal with the adjustments mayweather makes.

But I do agree that boxing is a martial art, but I don't think boxing in its purest form compliments martial arts very well. There are sacrifices that must be made when mixing in kickboxing, wrestling and jujitsu. Weight distribution in stance for one. But you know all this already.

Comment

Everyone complained about Ali putting his hand in the back of the head. EVERYONE! He got away with it because he didn't punch with his free hand but it is illegal and its the easiest way to control an opponents balance! Ali intimitated refs better than anyone and got away with more illegal tactics that way but he wasn't a dirty fighter!

Foreman was overly confident for the Ali bout until he got to Africa. George had lost his stamina within 6 rounds and the "rope a dope" was the key method for this. The tecnique would have been disasterous if George wasn't emptry. George was at a tremendous disadvantage when you compare experience and imagination.

The modern day version of the "rope a dope" is Floyd Mayweathers method to slide on the ropes and counter & punch. He doesn't stay as still as Ali did because Ali had tremendous reactions while leaning back, a technique avoided by most trainers in the gym. Ali trained to accept punishment more so than most. He paid alot of attention on his body being able to absorb shots and actually was one of the tuffest men ever in boxing.

Another old "rope a dope" technique was the "possum" and people like Jake LoMatta and Archie Moore were skilled at laying back and pretending to be disoriented or hurt and then become agressive!! Old tricks, Methods & Tecniques just change the names and its "new" for some people. I know of nothing new in the main teachings and I see nothing new in any modern day/current fighter! The saying "bigger/faster/stronger" has some validity to it but "smarter" isn't in there but "dumber" could be!!! hahahaha! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        thanks ray.

i taught that old mexican all he knows.
        You stealing my thunder again NE.....

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
          You stealing my thunder again NE.....
          evidently the great pressure fighters (frazier, chavez, armstrong, to name maybe the three best) forgot to "train everything."

if only.

this is why i come to the training section, though. to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Foreman was overly confident for the Ali bout until he got to Africa. George had lost his stamina within 6 rounds and the "rope a dope" was the key method for this. The tecnique would have been disasterous if George wasn't emptry. George was at a tremendous disadvantage when you compare experience and imagination.
            Foreman landed some punches that would have sent many tough guys to their knees gasping for air. Ali would just ask George, "Is that all you got?" The pyschological aspect added to being gassed put the nail in the coffin for George. A very risky move for Ali though, and I still am a bit shocked it worked. Had it failed, we'd be talking about how Ali was finished/washed up and just laid on the ropes and let george beat the crap out of him for 15 rounds.

I think the rope a dope ultimately led to Ali taking way too much punishment late in his career, it gave him enough success to keep going, but ultimately was terrible for his health.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              evidently the great pressure fighters (frazier, chavez, armstrong, to name maybe the three best) forgot to "train everything."

if only.

this is why i come to the training section, though. to learn.
              We can only be so fortunate you know.

Any fighter who isn't a master of all styles, just didn't train enough.

Comment

what You do in the Gym................is who You are in the Fight! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  what You do in the Gym................is who You are in the Fight! Ray
                  That's why, in the gym, I always practised blowing my panic whistle from the fetal position . . . Just me?

Comment

Originally posted by DIB420 View Post
                    That's why, in the gym, I always practised blowing my panic whistle from the fetal position . . . Just me?
                    Tack and field is the best self defense! The whistle is just if you cant out run em

Comment

I wish Barry would do some fight studies and predictions before fihgters fight not after the fact. Post fight is obvious what mistakes boxers make or what are their strengths.

As a trainer you should accept a boxers style and if you can help them out then good but sometimes we can't and that's okay cause they can find a coach that matches their style. On the other hand, if you try to change someone's style you maybe disappointed. Not all fighters have the ability to change. This is why you should learn all aspects of the sport as an amateur. There are a lot of pressurefighters who have very little amateur experience but have become champions. It's much easier to work with a fighter who has a good fundamental foundation than does that don't.

Comment

Working...
                      X