Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting in shape - advice for a newcomer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting in shape - advice for a newcomer?

I'm looking to start taking boxing classes this summer and eventually start fighting.

First, however, I wanted to make sure that I was in the best possible shape that I could be. I have started running and alternate between sprints and distance every couple days.

I've also started a small weight lifting program where I alternate between biceps/back one day, chest/triceps the next and shoulders/legs the following. I do abs every day.

Have also started a new diet. No soda, no fast food. Lots of whole grains, protein and carbohydrates. It's been about 2 and a half weeks and I can already notice a different in my energy level and have already lost weight. I'm about 6'2" 170 right now.

Was wondering if anyone had a better program to follow, workouts I should be doing, etc.? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Well it looks like you're off to a good start but I would advise you to start boxing soon, at least developing the basics with a trainer. Why wait till summer? If you want to be in fighting shape then nothing is going to replace a boxing routine (shadowboxing, heavy bag, mitts, sparring, ect.). Everything else is going to be supplementary.

Comment

Your right on track with the running with interval sprints. imo this is the perfect exercise for boxing.

The longer you can maintain the sprint the harder you can go in the ring. When you first start to spar you likely wont be relaxed in there yet so it will be like a sprint the whole round, especially if your in there with a vet and they are pushing you. No cardio like this kind of cardio.

Some other workouts that I think are good.....

Circuits with your weight training. I will usually do chest, back, shoulders ,abs and legs all in one set and do the circuit 4 times. I do 3 circuits like this switching the exercise for each body part in each circuit.

Do Plyometric exercises for rounds at a time. For example 4-5 exercises (at least two of these focus on legs), 10 reps each and keep rotating until the round is over.

Comment

dont wait till the summer...go tomorrow

you will thank me later

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitFast View Post

you will thank me later
          +1 spot on this

Comment

Originally posted by DetroitFast View Post

you will thank me later
            and drop the weights

Comment

I just want to say you here that if you want to be in battling form then nothing is going to substitute a punching schedule shadowboxing, large bag, safety gloves, training Everything else is going to be additional.
              Last edited by Johny; 03-29-2014, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X