No announcement yet.

First Fight (Video) - Charity Boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Fight (Video) - Charity Boxing

So as promised I'm posting my first fight.

It was a charity boxing night, 3 x 1.5 mins long.

I'm the one in the blue/red hat (red corner).

Not happy with how I boxed, didn't once keep my guard up or hands high enough (probably due to his height I was sloppy) Got caught in 2nd and put down. After that I don't think I really recovered properly but happy with how I did until then.. All feedback appreciated and make it as harsh as you like, I wasn't happy with myself after but the charity won in the end! Made over £15,000 on the night!

/watch?v=lJ40KagIams on YouTube

Originally posted by AbstruseAlan View Post
    So as promised I'm posting my first fight.

It was a charity boxing night, 3 x 1.5 mins long.

I'm the one in the blue/red hat (red corner).

Not happy with how I boxed, didn't once keep my guard up or hands high enough (probably due to his height I was sloppy) Got caught in 2nd and put down. After that I don't think I really recovered properly but happy with how I did until then.. All feedback appreciated and make it as harsh as you like, I wasn't happy with myself after but the charity won in the end! Made over £15,000 on the night!

/watch?v=lJ40KagIams on YouTube
    Ah no, theirs no point in going too harsh...you obv know some of the things yourself, a bit of advice tho....
    Get in front of a mirror! Sort your boxing stance out, you were so square for alot of that fight (feet too close together) and just standing square, a good boxing stance provides you with a solid base,you get more power in you punches and you wont be unbalanced...

I'm not even going to comment on your hands, get in front of a mirror and throw straight punches,bring those punches straight back to your guard (chin)..
    If you are going to continue boxing.....you need alooot of work. A normal ref would of stoped that maybe even before the knockdown...
    I don't want to be 2 harsh so sorry ha, it is your 1st fight after all...

At least you know you can take a punch...kinda haha

Sort your feet out, a good boxing stance I what you need

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
      Ah no, theirs no point in going too harsh...you obv know some of the things yourself, a bit of advice tho....
      Get in front of a mirror! Sort your boxing stance out, you were so square for alot of that fight (feet too close together) and just standing square, a good boxing stance provides you with a solid base,you get more power in you punches and you wont be unbalanced...

I'm not even going to comment on your hands, get in front of a mirror and throw straight punches,bring those punches straight back to your guard (chin)..
      If you are going to continue boxing.....you need alooot of work. A normal ref would of stoped that maybe even before the knockdown...
      I don't want to be 2 harsh so sorry ha, it is your 1st fight after all...

At least you know you can take a punch...kinda haha

Sort your feet out, a good boxing stance I what you need
      Thanks for the reply buddy! Yeah I didn't really pay attention to that, especially in the later rounds. First 2 up until the knock down I thought I moved about OK apart from when he came at me once or twice I went back in a straight line and ate shots. When I moved to the side it worked so much better.

I knew straight after my hands were way too low, it was a mixture of his height and constant rolling I think frustrated me. Worked perfectly for him because I'd drop my hands and he'd hit me with overhands nicely.

I know I need a lot of work lol 8 weeks training isn't going to turn me in a fighter. Looking forward to sticking at it and improving though! Curious too why you think a ref would ever stop it at any point? The knock down he told me to just use the seconds and I got up when he told me to. After that I was throwing back and didn't take too much going into the last round. Last round I thought was just a mess so no point looking into it too much, we were both tired and useless. IF I won that round, it could have been a tie apparently, no idea how they scored it though but either way, I felt like it was a loss and learnt a lot of lessons in 5 minutes!

Comment

Thanks for the reply buddy! Yeah I didn't really pay attention to that, especially in the later rounds. First 2 up until the knock down I thought I moved about OK apart from when he came at me once or twice I went back in a straight line and ate shots. When I moved to the side it worked so much better.

I knew straight after my hands were way too low, it was a mixture of his height and constant rolling I think frustrated me. Worked perfectly for him because I'd drop my hands and he'd hit me with overhands nicely.

I know I need a lot of work lol 8 weeks training isn't going to turn me in a fighter. Looking forward to sticking at it and improving though! Curious too why you think a ref would ever stop it at any point? The knock down he told me to just use the seconds and I got up when he told me to. After that I was throwing back and didn't take too much going into the last round. Last round I thought was just a mess so no point looking into it too much, we were both tired and useless. IF I won that round, it could have been a tie apparently, no idea how they scored it though but either way, I felt like it was a loss and learnt a lot of lessons in 5 minutes!
        When your boxing for real you would get standing 8 counts, you don't have to be knocked Down to get one...one solid punch could provoke a ref to give an 8 count, you would normally get 2 standing 8s, and depending on the and the punch you took, the ref could call it after the 2nd count....

That was good experience, but boxing for real is alot tougher, remember at your age as well,their would be fellas boxing since they were young....
        And its longer rounds, and lets say more rules put in place....
        A charity box is really just a scrap.
        But don't get too discouraged, and remember you will take a few losses but don't leave that get you down, all you need is plenty of ring experience

Comment

Originally posted by stephenmc View Post
          When your boxing for real you would get standing 8 counts, you don't have to be knocked Down to get one...one solid punch could provoke a ref to give an 8 count, you would normally get 2 standing 8s, and depending on the and the punch you took, the ref could call it after the 2nd count....

That was good experience, but boxing for real is alot tougher, remember at your age as well,their would be fellas boxing since they were young....
          And its longer rounds, and lets say more rules put in place....
          A charity box is really just a scrap.
          But don't get too discouraged, and remember you will take a few losses but don't leave that get you down, all you need is plenty of ring experience
          Ah yeah I get you, a few people had standing counts on the night! End of the round / luck I didn't take another big shot after the big round did me the world of good.

Yeah I know, starting up with a decent gym so hopefully will be brought on slowly and put into fights suitable as I gain experience/knowledge! Only regret is not starting sooner! Definitely need more experience of just even being and moving around in the ring, I've only ever stepped in it twice to spar and then this fight. I was offered a fight tonight in Leeds to replace a dropout, no headguard, 10oz gloves and paid but I opted out of it because I'd been drinking all weekend after this fight and thought it would just be silly. It was against another lad who has apparently never had a bout either though!

Comment

Ah yeah I get you, a few people had standing counts on the night! End of the round / luck I didn't take another big shot after the big round did me the world of good.

Yeah I know, starting up with a decent gym so hopefully will be brought on slowly and put into fights suitable as I gain experience/knowledge! Only regret is not starting sooner! Definitely need more experience of just even being and moving around in the ring, I've only ever stepped in it twice to spar and then this fight. I was offered a fight tonight in Leeds to replace a dropout, no headguard, 10oz gloves and paid but I opted out of it because I'd been drinking all weekend after this fight and thought it would just be silly. It was against another lad who has apparently never had a bout either though!
            You won't be wearing headgear when your fighting, and the gloves will be 10oz, I'm guessing they were 16oz at the charity event??

Not trying to discourage you or anything now....
            You will find it harder to start boxing now competitively,
            Its alot harder for adults to get into the ring than lets say that of a young fella/teenagers...
            Don't spend 2 much time just training and stuff, you need experience, and if that means going into the ring against someone better than you so be it, take the losses early and learn from them, their is no point at this stage/age hitting a bag for a few months and all that,of course train properly, but if your trainer gets you a fight, take it and don't think 2much about it...... Spar as much as possible, and youl learn alot more through experience than anything else, plus your fitness will improve alooot, anybody can do a hard training session and hit the bag and pads all day doing situps and all that.....its different fittness in the ring tho.

It takes alot of balls to get into the ring as an adult so fairplay

Comment

^I like this advice. Don't overthink it, learn in the ring. Good effort for your first fight, we've all seen a lot worse.

Comment

Working...
              X