• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KnockoutNed View Post
    Lennox Lewis
    Canadian Lennox Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
      Lewis ducked John Ruiz and Chris Byrd so he can't be considered a real champ.
      i agree, this is the point of my question. it is a long time since the UK had a dominant World Champion who had no "Nemesis" waiting. unlike Lewis as you have pointed out

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
        yeah. He's the most recent. Also Lennox, Honeyghan and Minter depending on how far back you want to go.
        Hatton - Mayweather
        Minter - Hagler (had drew with Antuofermo)
        Froch - Ward
        Haye - immediately relinquished

i would agree with Honeyghan being our last dominant champion Bat.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          Hatton - Mayweather
          Minter - Hagler (had drew with Antuofermo)
          Froch - Ward
          Haye - immediately relinquished

i would agree with Honeyghan being our last dominant champion Bat.
          Well Britain is still a major player in boxing today with plenty of excellent fighters and stars.

Comment

Joe Calzaghe
            Ricky Hatton (140lb)
            Lennox Lewis

Comment

If 'genuine' champion means the best in your division then the last was David Haye at Cruiserweight, before that Calzaghe at Super-Middleweight, then possibly and briefly Hatton at Junior-Welterweight and Lennox Lewis (born in London and spent most of his childhood there) before that at Heavyweight.

Comment

Britain has some excellent prospects on the verge of world titles in Tyson Fury, Billy Joe Saunders, Frankie Gavin, Eubank Jr. James DeGale, George Groves, Callum Smith, Kevin Mitchell and good title holders in Brook, Froch .

Comment

Wasn't Hamed considered British?

Comment

Originally posted by Humean View Post
                    If 'genuine' champion means the best in your division then the last was David Haye at Cruiserweight, before that Calzaghe at Super-Middleweight, then possibly and briefly Hatton at Junior-Welterweight and Lennox Lewis (born in London and spent most of his childhood there) before that at Heavyweight.
                    Hatton at 140?.. Do you recognize the WBU as a genuine governing body? Hatton had junior Witter calling him out for years..

Calzaghe failed to fight Roy Jones when both was super-middles

Haye failed to fight Steve Cunningham

Lewis was stripped of titles for avoiding.

My point is genuine dominant world champion like Loyd Honeyghan who defended his title 5 or 6 times

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                      Hatton at 140?.. Do you recognize the WBU as a genuine governing body? Hatton had junior Witter calling him out for years..

Calzaghe failed to fight Roy Jones when both was super-middles

Haye failed to fight Steve Cunningham

Lewis was stripped of titles for avoiding.

My point is genuine dominant world champion like Loyd Honeyghan who defended his title 5 or 6 times
                      Hatton defeated Kostya Tszyu in 2005 and unified two belts in the same year, in 2005 he had the best claim to be the best fighter at 140 although he wasn't as Mayweather and Cotto (but not Witter) were better than him.

Calzaghe was champion from 1997-2008, Jones Jr left the super-middleweight division in 1996. What is your next try going to be, Sven Ottke?

Haye was better than Cunningham and had a stronger claim than him.

Lennox Lewis was clearly the best heavyweight for a number of years and more than proved that over the course of those years.

Apart from all of that your post was hugely accurate.

Comment

Working...
                      X