No announcement yet.

JDJ should leave kovalev.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JDJ should leave kovalev.

He's a great trainer, up there with the best in the sport at the moment, however why bother staying with kovalev who clearly does not listen to him??

Kovalev was taking instructions from an unknown Russian man and several times motioned with his hand to tell JDJ to shut up and let the russian speak during the Ward fight.

In an Abel sanchez interview he said he told kovalev to leave because he simply does not listen to anyone.

JDJ looked very embarrassed and i was for him when he was told to shut up.

Im sure he doesn't need the $$$ from kovalev so why is he staying with him?
    He says that he was told by kovalevs friends that he does implement the things he tell's him in his 'private time' ?

Originally posted by mlac View Post
    He's a great trainer, up there with the best in the sport at the moment, however why bother staying with kovalev who clearly does not listen to him??

Kovalev was taking instructions from an unknown Russian man and several times motioned with his hand to tell JDJ to shut up and let the russian speak during the Ward fight.

In an Abel sanchez interview he said he told kovalev to leave because he simply does not listen to anyone.

JDJ looked very embarrassed and i was for him when he was told to shut up.

Im sure he doesn't need the $$$ from kovalev so why is he staying with him?
    He says that he was told by kovalevs friends that he does implement the things he tell's him in his 'private time' ?
    That's what he get for sellin' out...

Comment

Kovalev is his most lucrative fighter (off the top of my head). He'll stay unless he gets fired.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
        Kovalev is his most lucrative fighter (off the top of my head). He'll stay unless he gets fired.
        The man still wears his clothes from the 1980's im pretty sure he doesnt live an extravagant lifestyle and a load of dough to buy sportscars etc.

Comment

I don't know what kind of relationship they have but it's possible and makes sense if JdJ just tells the other man what to tell Kovalev when be comes back to avoid wasting time with translations. Kov looked really focused and it's possible he just wanted to hear the instructions and didnt want to bother hearing a language foreign to him in the heat of the moment.

Might be wrong though but as far as I know they have each other's back. Not all trainer/fighter combos are the same. Some guys need a lot of instruction and thus a good trainer for them is someone with that type of personality. Some fighters do best if you just let them loose and let them do what comes natural after preparing well in camp. I wouldnt read too much into it unless JdJ gets fired. Abel and Kov was just a personality thing. Both too Type A and their personalities njst couldn't mesh well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
            I don't know what kind of relationship they have but it's possible and makes sense if JdJ just tells the other man what to tell Kovalev when be comes back to avoid wasting time with translations. Kov looked really focused and it's possible he just wanted to hear the instructions and didnt want to bother hearing a language foreign to him in the heat of the moment.

Might be wrong though but as far as I know they have each other's back. Not all trainer/fighter combos are the same. Some guys need a lot of instruction and thus a good trainer for them is someone with that type of personality. Some fighters do best if you just let them loose and let them do what comes natural after preparing well in camp. I wouldnt read too much into it unless JdJ gets fired.
            Nah the Russian was speaking first, when JDJ tried to give instructions first he was told to shut up.

After the Russian finished, JDJ was allowed to speak.

Comment

Yea it was weird how Jackson had to wait to talk lol. I would agree with the guy above that maybe jdj told the Russian what to tell him, but if that was the case why would jdj spend the last 30 seconds of the round giving instructions when the Russian guy just did?

Comment

several times motioned with his hand to tell JDJ to shut up and let the russian speak during the Ward fight.
                Seriously?? Wow, I didn't catch that.
                I've been trying to find out what was going on in that corner because, as great as Kovalev looked, I think the gameplan went south when Ward adapted to Kovalev, and Kovalev failed to shut him down again. Far too much pacificity in the last half.

Comment

I agree 100%. Kovalev does not listen to JDJ so he shouldnt put up with it anymore.

Comment

The man still wears his clothes from the 1980's im pretty sure he doesnt live an extravagant lifestyle and a load of dough to buy sportscars etc.
                    Idk...Kovalev is the highlight of his training resume. He shouldn't quit a job without having a backup plan lined up. He's not Robert Garcia that has a huge stable of promising up and comers.

Comment

Working...
                    X