Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Cubans get lazy when they come to America?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
    Virtually all of these things can be said about fighters from Eastern Europe (or Asia, South America and alot of other places) yet i don't see them being completely undisciplined, becoming obese, or simply giving up on their one meal ticket once it's right in front of them with so many of their athletes.

Joe Strong's 'poor kid from the ghetto' excuse is particularly pathetic. Pacquiao's poverty > Tyson's. Russian poverty in the 90's > Tyson's.
    i dont think its pathetic at all...different people adapt to new enviorments differently.many of the asian & eastern european men had to do military service(not all countries)so they at least develope discipline through that.ibragimov,maskaev,etc...they were able to maintain their discipline throughout their careers where as guys like solis,jorge luis gonzalez,juan carlos gomez were unable to maintain a high level of discipline because they enjoyed the fastlane lifestyle that they were not exposed to in cuba.not everyone handles the spotlight well & some get too complacent & think they can get by alone on talent(solis & gomez). the klitschkos are from the old soviet regime which helped mold them into the athletes they are today.its a little different in the caribbean then in eastern europe...

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
      didnt russian guys have to do military service?
      2 years. Was changed to 18 months i think a couple years ago. Hence why guys like Vitali were World Military Champions in Boxing.

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Agreed. The Cuban amateur style is much more geared to winning medals. It's all about points. That approach just doesn't work in the pros, unless you're preternaturally gifted like Floyd Mayweather, Jr. (Even Floyd is more inclined to engage than some of these Cubans.) It only makes the transition to pro more difficult.

I'm not familiar with the careers of many of the men you mention. Did many of them start their pro careers in their mid to late twenties, even thirties?
      most around 25. Tszyu & Jirov were 22. Volodymyr 20 but most like Arbachakov, Nazarov, Korobov, Vitali, Golovkin, Bute, Ibragimov were 23-26

Comment

Originally posted by BoxeoBoriqua View Post
        Life in Cuba is hard. In the USA, hard work, relentless focus and determination can get a good life. Not a wealthy or a rich one but a good nice life. In Cuba, u aint ammounting to **** with their government. Living there and then coming here is like a different world. Its like not being allowed to have sex and being a 25 year old virgin and then going to a place where u gettin some good, good p*ssy every other day. A dude will not know how to act after been deprieved of it for so long u feel me.
        Word up....

Comment

Originally posted by joe strong View Post
          i dont think its pathetic at all...different people adapt to new enviorments differently.many of the asian & eastern european men had to do military service(not all countries)so they at least develope discipline through that.ibragimov,maskaev,etc...they were able to maintain their discipline throughout their careers where as guys like solis,jorge luis gonzalez,juan carlos gomez were unable to maintain a high level of discipline because they enjoyed the fastlane lifestyle that they were not exposed to in cuba.not everyone handles the spotlight well & some get too complacent & think they can get by alone on talent(solis & gomez). the klitschkos are from the old soviet regime which helped mold them into the athletes they are today.its a little different in the caribbean then in eastern europe...
          You're implying that Cubans don't? I googled it and it says they do (2 years) which is what i thought.....

and guys from Eastern Europe, Asia, South America were exposed to glitz and glamour and the 'fastlane' before coming to America unlike Cubans? You're doing a horrible job trying to argue your position. the differences you're trying to highlight simply don't exist or certianly not to the extent you're claiming.

Comment

asians,europeans,etc...can get work visas & leave their respective countries to go work as temporary foreign workers....we have boat loads of them in canada,many eastern europeans speak several languages & can move from country to country....cubans can leave if they are married or have someone to sponsor them which puts the sponsor on the hook for 5 years here in canada....not easy to leave cuba...why do you think they DEFECT on rafts & speed boats or through international competitions where they vanish fromtheir hotels? sorry your arguement is not as valid as you think....khmel

Comment

Originally posted by Khmelnytsky View Post
              Virtually all of these things can be said about fighters from Eastern Europe (or Asia, South America and alot of other places) yet i don't see them being completely undisciplined, becoming obese, or simply giving up on their one meal ticket once it's right in front of them with so many of their athletes.

Joe Strong's 'poor kid from the ghetto' excuse is particularly pathetic. Pacquiao's poverty > Tyson's. Russian poverty in the 90's > Tyson's.
              great post.

asians & other ethnicities come to america work hard & they always end up being successful members of society & become productive professionals or successful business men. Some people are just quite the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by oj simpson View Post
                great post.

asians & other ethnicities come to america work hard & they always end up being successful members of society & become productive professionals or successful business men. Some people are just quite the opposite.
                The Mike Tyson argument sint all that pathetic...when you think about it....what man at the age of 20 was thrusted into the limelight so quickly....its stupid to compare a businessmen to a professional athlete who is the talk of the whole world.....I dont think you realise how difficult that is......

Also, are you implying that ALL Cubans who come to America are lazy....you shouldnt genealize like that because Im sure there are many Cubans who leave come to America and work hard.....

You also have to remeber that these Cubans are not allowed to return, unlike the Easter Europeans and Asian fighters.......most boxers that become successful from Africa, Asia and Eastern Europe all still live in their native country (Clottey for one...got 1mil for the Pac fight and still lives in Ghana)

Comment

I wouldn't say "LAZY"...probably get TOO COMFORTABLE though...ESPECIALLY IN MIAMI! Just because you Turn Pro and your making Money now does not mean "YOU MADE IT"...must people in America don't know about their LEGENDARY AMATEUR CAREERS nor do they care so your basically starting OVER

If I was a Manager or Trainer or Promoter I would get my Fighter the hell out of Miami for one, it is just too much going on in Miami, HOW CAN YOU STAY FOCUSED...ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THE WOMEN IN MIAMI lol

Comment

Originally posted by KnockUTheFukOut View Post
                    I wouldn't say "LAZY"...probably get TOO COMFORTABLE though...ESPECIALLY IN MIAMI! Just because you Turn Pro and your making Money now does not mean "YOU MADE IT"...must people in America don't know about their LEGENDARY AMATEUR CAREERS nor do they care so your basically starting OVER

If I was a Manager or Trainer or Promoter I would get my Fighter the hell out of Miami for one, it is just too much going on in Miami, HOW CAN YOU STAY FOCUSED...ESPECIALLY WITH ALL THE WOMEN IN MIAMI lol
                    To some Cubans, just arriving on American shores means they've "made it". Then reality sets in and they realize things aren't just handed to them. Some learn to work the system (not exclusive to Cubans); some decide they want to "make good". Talented Cuban athletes have a built-in opportunity to make really good money really fast. Add to that the environment in Miami, and the general buzz surrounding some of them, and it can be a real challenge to stay focused.

Comment

Working...
                    X