No announcement yet.

Cardio???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardio???

I am going to start boxing next week and was wondering how much you guys run? Right now I'm in bad shape but am going to start running to get my endurance up.

All depends on the person, I run a lot, 20 or more miles a week. Keeps me in great shape and I never ever get tired in the ring. But some guys I know in the gym hardly run and are in great shape.

Roadwork will be hard at first but just keep at it and it will get easier. Good luck!

Comment

i also run a lot. 30 to 35 miles a week. but i do a lot of sprinting, one or two longer runs per week. and hills.

you have to mix it up to mimic the speed of a boxing match. at least that's what i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Escobedo View Post
        All depends on the person, I run a lot, 20 or more miles a week. Keeps me in great shape and I never ever get tired in the ring. But some guys I know in the gym hardly run and are in great shape.

Roadwork will be hard at first but just keep at it and it will get easier. Good luck!
        If you never ever get tired in the ring then you're not working hard enough. I dont care how fit you are. 20+ miles a week isnt even a huge amount to be honest

Comment

Typically I do 4-8 miles a run, and try to run 5 days a week.

This is of coarse going to take some time to do and you gradually build up your roadwork. How much can you run right now?

Comment

I think alot depends on whether you are a serious amateur boxer or a bit of a fitness nut who enjoys boxing training. I'd currently fall into the latter category.

I personally run between 50 and 60 miles a week, but would say that this would be too much to accompany a decent amateur boxing training programme. Too much time spent away from sparring, pad work and bag work!

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
              Typically I do 4-8 miles a run, and try to run 5 days a week.

This is of coarse going to take some time to do and you gradually build up your roadwork. How much can you run right now?
              I'm not sure how far I can run if I really push myself but i can run around a 8 minute mile. I'm sick right now but when I get better I will try and see how far I can run I think that one of the things that I need to learn is how to pace myself because I always go too hard at the start.

Comment

Jump Rope - ropes are cheap, do full 3 minute rounds for as many rounds as you can do - rest for 30 seconds between each round, I recommend starting off with 5 rounds.

Run - make sure you have comfortable shoes that don't f*** with your alignment.

Bag Work (if you have access to one) - do 3 minute rounds, throwing combinations and moving around the bag. Work on your distance and footwork too. It helps me drop weight - and gets me sweating - a lot faster than the above two. Don't just tap that motherf***er, FINISH HIM in the last 20-30 seconds of each round. Don't bang away at a heavy bag with your hardest hooks unless you're wrists are wrapped tight and your technique's flawless. I made that mistake like 8 times already..

Speaking of cardio, I need to get back into it after my trip to PR...

Comment

I used to box a few years ago and I was in great physical condition. I was a freak about it. Used to be able to outlast anyone and always gave it my all.

Anyway, I suffered a serious knee injury and between waiting on scans/waiting on scan result/going through rehab, it was over two years before I could do any kind of sport or strenuous physical activity again. By that time, I had lost every ounce of stamina I once had. For the past year and half I have been trying to get back in shape (although admittedly very half-heartedly) and it just seems like an impossible task. No matter how much I run or skip/jump rope (whenever I actually do decide to do so) it just doesn't seem like it's making any difference. It's been really getting me down, to the point that I've been so depressed that I haven't even wanted to train because of it.

I can last a few miles, probably three or four if I pace myself, but if I run at a decent enough pace I'm usually gassed after about 1.5 miles. When using the rope I can go 7 rounds if I pushed myself - and I'd have to be pushing it quite hard. I've also lost a bit of pace when sprinting too.

Basically... Help.

Comment

Awesome post ..
                    After the reading I am a speach less ..
                    This post all replays awesome ...

Comment

Working...
                    X