Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Fighters You Believe Are Stinking Up the Sport!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Fighters You Believe Are Stinking Up the Sport!

Who do you think are fighters who are absolutely boring and give MMA a bad name?

For me boring and giving mma a bad name are 2 completely different things. Some guys' fighting style are just really ugly to look at but doesnt take away from how good a fighter is or how effective they are. keith jardine is a prime example. looks like he's having seizures rather than fighting but he's fought and beaten some of the best.

To me giving mma a bad name is what they do outside of the ring and how they represent themselves as professionals. Guys like Benji Radach, Tim Sylvia, and Chris Leben have been infamous for using their status to instigate drunken bar fights and harass locals. That's giving the sport a bad name.

Comment

Dana White. He counts as a fighter after such an epic boxercise career.

John Barnett and other drug users, but him in particular.

Brock and GSP are bad for the sport in some ways but obviously Brock brought in fans which helps the sport and GSP is a great fighter and big draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Clegg View Post
        Dana White. He counts as a fighter after such an epic boxercise career.

John Barnett and other drug users, but him in particular.

Brock and GSP are bad for the sport in some ways but obviously Brock brought in fans which helps the sport and GSP is a great fighter and big draw.
        Josh Barnett is one of the most entertaining fighters in the sport.

Comment

The list is up to you guys... I was initially thinking about in-cage performance, but we can expand that.

If you care to give an explanation, do so.

I'll go...

1. Tyron Woodley
          2. Jake Shields
          3. Chad Mendes
          4. Leonard Garcia
          5. Nate Marquardt

Comment

John Fitch, Clay Guida (when he wrestles too much), Damian Maia, Chad Mendes, GSP (LAtely), Joe Stevenson, Josh Koscheck, Joe Warren, Werdum.. I added more than 5 but Honestly these guys right here have been boring lately.. I do not hate wrestlers.. IMO wrestling is probably the most important foundation to build in an MMA career but some very good wrestlers lately have been using it as a way to just lay on top of guys for three to four rounds and grind out a win.. Id say if you are going to take a fighter down, a fighter should try to finish a fight by ground and pound or submission. If a fighter is just holding a guy down and not using effective striking or submission skills, after two minutes the REF should stand them back up or use a red card like they did in pride.. I just cant stand when a wrestler just lays on to of guy for too long!!

Comment

Originally posted by RIZO24 View Post
              John Fitch, Clay Guida (when he wrestles too much), Damian Maia, Chad Mendes, GSP (LAtely), Joe Stevenson, Josh Koscheck, Joe Warren, Werdum.. I added more than 5 but Honestly these guys right here have been boring lately.. I do not hate wrestlers.. IMO wrestling is probably the most important foundation to build in an MMA career but some very good wrestlers lately have been using it as a way to just lay on top of guys for three to four rounds and grind out a win.. Id say if you are going to take a fighter down, a fighter should try to finish a fight by ground and pound or submission. If a fighter is just holding a guy down and not using effective striking or submission skills, after two minutes the REF should stand them back up or use a red card like they did in pride.. I just cant stand when a wrestler just lays on to of guy for too long!!
              Its not fitchs fault when he takes people down all they wanna do is hold and pray the ref stands it up. Hes constantly trying to gnp, attempt submissions and advance position.

1. Gsp is the biggest draw but the biggest waste of talent. Fitchs style is his style, gsp has every god given talent and rather play safe and bore the fans

2. Chad Mendes, the one time he could show some stand up against yaya he still lnps.

3. Ben Rothwell, jesus this guy is hard to watch but somehow stays on the main card.

4. Bisping is overrated and overprotected as hell.

5. TUF in general gives the sport a bad name since alot are dumbass hardasses with no skills that they put on for ratings and not actual talent. That hurts the sport most.

Agreed Barnett is trash for single handedly destroying affliction. Hermes is trash for steroids and being a rapist.

Nobodys mentioning it now but one thing I hear all the time is daley but frankly he was brought life and excitement to the division and kos deserved that punch for talking all that ***** then lnping.

Comment

Originally posted by -2 Scrappy- View Post
                Its not fitchs fault when he takes people down all they wanna do is hold and pray the ref stands it up. Hes constantly trying to gnp, attempt submissions and advance position.

1. Gsp is the biggest draw but the biggest waste of talent. Fitchs style is his style, gsp has every god given talent and rather play safe and bore the fans

2. Chad Mendes, the one time he could show some stand up against yaya he still lnps.

3. Ben Rothwell, jesus this guy is hard to watch but somehow stays on the main card.

4. Bisping is overrated and overprotected as hell.

5. TUF in general gives the sport a bad name since alot are dumbass hardasses with no skills that they put on for ratings and not actual talent. That hurts the sport most.

Agreed Barnett is trash for single handedly destroying affliction. Hermes is trash for steroids and being a rapist.

Nobodys mentioning it now but one thing I hear all the time is daley but frankly he was brought life and excitement to the division and kos deserved that punch for talking all that ***** then lnping.

I'd have to argue your 1st point and say bj penn is the biggest waste of talent. I'd say all things considered gsp has actually overachieved way past his natural talents. Bj penn meanwhile had all the talent to be the greatest mma fighter of all time by a landslide but always sandbagged on cardio. None of the fighters bj penn has ever lost to ever deserved to beat him if he had the same motor and gas tank.

Comment

Bj comes to fight everytime though he never plays it safe. Hed be a phenominal posterboy.

Comment

I don't think boring fighters are stinking up the sport. There are more exciting fighters in comparison to their boring counterparts. So that's a non-issue. GSP is boring to most hardcore fans, but people fill arenas to see him and a lot of women adore the guy. I don't think you could say he's bad for the sport at all. Hardcore fans don't make up the majority of a fanbase, so your opinion on it stinking up the sport holds no merit.

IMO what is stinking up the sport are fighters like

Jacob Volkmann: a moron that says stupid **** about the president and sheds a bad light on himself, the sport, and the company he works for.

Fighters who dye their hair flamboyant colors.

Fighters who wear ridiculous ring attire.

Fighters who say dumb **** and don't think before they say things that could hurt the sports image.

What is stinking up the sport is more "image issues" than what they do inside the cage.

But at the same time there are fighters that the UFC puts on TV and on The Ultimate Fighter that have such a limited skillset, that they look and fight like they were just pulled off the street or off a bar stool. Sure they maybe be exciting but they look like a bunch of bums throwing haymakers.

I used to get mad when boxing elitists would say MMA takes no skill, and is for trailer trash. Now I kind of understand what they were saying. The way some fighters look and carry themselves just looks trashy.

That, IMO is what is hurting the sport. Not necessarily guys like Fitch and Tyrone Woodley.

Comment

Working...
                    X