No announcement yet.

Richard Steele's Call on Chavez-Taylor I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
    There would have been no extra punch since Chavez was nowhere near a neutral corner like he was required to be.
    Would you have gone farther away? The neutral corner was probably the farthest thing from his mind. He had his man hurt, he had to know he was losing, he didn't have much time and he wanted to jump all over Taylor as soon as he was up if there was any chance for the stoppage, especially the way Meldrick fell. It was clear he was done. His legs were gone.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
      Would you have gone farther away? The neutral corner was probably the farthest thing from his mind. He had his man hurt, he had to know he was losing, he didn't have much time and he wanted to jump all over Taylor as soon as he was up if there was any chance for the stoppage, especially the way Meldrick fell. It was clear he was done. His legs were gone.

It was Steel's job to enforce the rule.

Comment

Originally posted by rsf View Post
        the neutral corner rule is not always followed as it should be , sometimes things go a miss in the heat of the moment . the fact does remain though that steele did ask taylor a question and quite clearly he did not get a suitable response so in that point it was a good stoppage. taylor was not the same fighter after the fight either

In a fight of that magnitude there is no excuse for not correctly enforcing the rules unless an agenda is involved. That's what he was getting paid to do. Steele had done it hundreds of times before so lets not pretend he was some novice caught in the moment.

Whether Taylor was the same has nothing to do with the bad stoppage. And Taylor went on to win another world title against a bigger and very good opponent. The idea that Taylor was some walking punching bag after the Chavez fight is typical hyperbole surrounding the defense of the stoppage.

Comment

Ref was doing his job.

Refs shouldnt be thinking about who is ahead on the scorecards and deciding whether a fighter should win or lose. He stopped the fight because Taylor didnt respond properly regardless of whether the fight had 2 seconds or 6 rounds left to go.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
            It was Steel's job to enforce the rule.
            it was also Steele's job to make sure taylor was in a satisfactory condition to continue and he was not . it was a good stoppage

Comment

In a fight of that magnitude there is no excuse for not correctly enforcing the rules unless an agenda is involved. That's what he was getting paid to do. Steele had done it hundreds of times before so lets not pretend he was some novice caught in the moment.

Whether Taylor was the same has nothing to do with the bad stoppage. And Taylor went on to win another world title against a bigger and very good opponent. The idea that Taylor was some walking punching bag after the Chavez fight is typical hyperbole surrounding the defense of the stoppage.
              i don't believe i suggested that taylor was a walking punch bag after the Chavez fight but in my opinion he did not match that level of performance again

Comment

i don't believe i suggested that taylor was a walking punch bag after the Chavez fight but in my opinion he did not match that level of performance again
                And how is that relevant?

Comment

And how is that relevant?
                  my opinion is as relevant as yours

Comment

my opinion is as relevant as yours

And what does that have to do with it? Your opinion was not in question. What Taylor did after the Chavez fight has nothing to do with Steel's controversial stoppage. You cant explain the relevance and that speaks for itself.

Comment

You can't really blame the ref, when he ask the fighter was he ok and didn't respond or wqas not looking at him then what else could he do?

If anything its Lou Duva fault, he was the one who told Taylor he needed to win the 12th round and he was the one that got up on the ring-apron and starting waving his hands about distracting Taylor after rising from the knock down.

Comment

Working...
                      X