No announcement yet.

I don't care what anyone says, I'm glad Calzaghe fought Jones over Pavlik

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't care what anyone says, I'm glad Calzaghe fought Jones over Pavlik

Just so we could get a mental impression on how a prime vs prime fight would have went and how they size up, besides, It wasn't a bad fight.

Pavlik, where is he now? bum status and you can find him in a bar in Ohio

I felt it was a rubbish fight. Roy dropped him then proceeded to do nothing but shell up whilst Joe attempted to slap him too death.

Comment

he should have fought both wtf yawn....

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        I felt it was a rubbish fight. Roy dropped him then proceeded to do nothing but shell up whilst Joe attempted to slap him too death.
        That's the fight I remember too.

Comment

He did for the money in his last fight, you can't blame him for that. He would have whipped Pavlik and it would have been a similar situation to Lacy, the win would have been downplayed later. Calzaghe would have taken his soul just like Hopkins did, but he would have made less money.

Comment

I would've rather seen him against Dawson, Froch, Tarver, or rematch Hopkins.

Comment

I'm glad he fought Jones too, because prime Pavlik would have clobbered a 36 year old Zaghes into retirement. Prime Zaghes would have a better chance against such young hot dogs.

Fighting shot Jones as his career defining fight was pretty much an act of Cowardzagheness. It was sickening watching the way Roy couldn't life his arms to react in time, a British fighter showboating over a shot2**** legend who he had hidden from when he was prime, or the way Joe C whooped with joy as if he'd just beaten prime Ali and not a Parkinsons ridden Ali.

It is probably my worst memory of British boxing.
              Last edited by DreamFighter; 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                He did for the money in his last fight, you can't blame him for that.
                you can certainly call him incompetent for not being able to earn his oats in the previous ten years of title defences. But Joe couldn't manage that even given a huge amount of time to do it in.

Comment

Originally posted by valero View Post
                  I would've rather seen him against Dawson, Froch, Tarver, or rematch Hopkins.
                  this^^^^^^^^^^

tbh, if he had fought Pavlik instead of Roy...even if he would've dominated Pavlik...I would give him more props than I do....I believe he can fight and would always give B.Hop a tough close fight IMHO...but its just his opponent selection that makes me frown at his career

Comment

Calzaghe-Jones was on PPV & did 200,000 PPV buys. The numbers don't lie. Jones was was completely finished at that stage yet he came close to knocking Calzaghe out. Imaging a prime Jones. Pavlik was a legit fight and was a fight ready to be made. But Calxaghe left Warren and went 50/50 with Jones in a fight where they gave away thousands of tics to bulk up the crowd.

Comment

Working...
                    X