Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo-Khan purses.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Khan took only $6million with no PPV share? There has to be a PPV in the UK which Khan is getting the bulk from? Because why would he take the fight of such a relatively low purse vs the danger he faces? There's something in it for him on the UK side.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
      The UK box office is really the X factor in the equation when it comes to fighting big UK fighters. When Ricky Hatton fought Floyd I think in the end Hatton actually made the bigger purse, or they were very similar because the US income stream was split 65-35, but Hatton kept all the UK money and the UK ppv buys were mental. The fight sold 1 million buys. That is why Bob Arum was prepared to accept 50-50 when it came to Pac-Hatton even though that didn't sell as well.

Now in this equation its hard to know what will happen, Khan doesn't have the selling power of Hatton, and his record on ppv has been patchy. But he also hasn't been in a fight of this magnitude. I am sure that Oscar would have considered the UK income stream though when he was thinking of a fight for Canelo. I actually think this fight will sell well in the UK, not Hatton well but significant.
      If Froch-Groves 2 sold 900k, I think Canelo-Khan can do it too, even though it was only the price of take-out Chinese food at 16.75 or whatever. You have to keep in mind that because there are so many English world champions right now, the market for boxing there is actually more interesting than when it was only like Ricky Hatton there.

There's a lot of attention on English boxing today. You got Fury(who's Irish or English idk what he claims) becoming the WBA/WBO/Ring/Lineal champ, Saunders taking the title WBO away from Ireland and bringing to England, Liam Smith WBO also from England, Kell Brook holding the IBF title, Antony Crolla holding the WBA, Terry Flanagan holding the WBO, Lee Selby with the IBF, Quigg with the WBA, Frampton with the IBF, Lee Haskins with the IBF, and all the way down at Bantam you got Jamie Macdonell with a version of the WBA. That's a total of 11 current world champs. So there's a lot of attention on them right now, and I think this will help Canelo vs Khan's numbers in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
        Ha no way! Fight of this magnitude and you don't think anyone is going to pick this up, you're mad! This will be picked up by Sky for sure, not that Warren won't be interested, he will be outbid by Sky, whenever there is a fight this big he is normally outgunned.

Eddie Hearn has very little to do with this, his contract with Sky isn't exclusive. Sky will cover fights that are big enough and where they know there is a profit to be made, they will be all over this.
        Please name a single other major fight, outside of Mayweather-Pacquiao, that wasn't with Matchroom Sport that Sky Sports put on Sky Box Office; heck, Mayweather vs Alvarez, as big as that fight was, ended up on BoxNation with nary any objection from Sky Sports.

To drive the point even further, how many Amir Khan fights have even aired on Sky Sports?

The notion that some bidding war is going to erupt is laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I question Khan's popularity in the UK, but I think the bar is so low with UK PPV that someone for sure will pick this fight up. I mean Joshua just had huge success with a PPV that sold 400k buys iirc. Regardless of how huge or not Khan is in the UK I think there is a nice upside for whoever decides to get behind this fight & it'll be a profitable venture for all parties.
          Joshua is being explicitly backed by Sky Sports/Matchroom Sport, with most believing that Joshua may actually be the next great heavyweight fighter, let alone British fighter; they've brought Joshua along as best as one could expect, have started to dabble with him being a PPV fighter, and the early returns are increasingly promising.

The only entity that's ever backed Khan in anything like that is Frank Warren and his BoxNation platform; Sky Sport's interest in Amir Khan, to be blunt, only go as far as staging a massive domestic fight with domestic rival Kell Brook, a fighter that Sky Sports and Matchroom Sport have invested in building up.

For all the talk of Joshua already being a massive PPV success, context is key; 400k PPV buys, even at the most favorable of terms, still only brought in ~$4m on the take, a figure subsidized by a massive live gate.

Is BoxNation really going to shell out the massive bucks for a fight that they'll be getting at 3 in the morning, without the benefit of a live gate, for a fighter whose UK popularity, to me, is in doubt for the simple reason of his fans having not seen him in years? I doubt it.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
            If Froch-Groves 2 sold 900k, I think Canelo-Khan can do it too, even though it was only the price of take-out Chinese food at 16.75 or whatever. You have to keep in mind that because there are so many English world champions right now, the market for boxing there is actually more interesting than when it was only like Ricky Hatton there.

There's a lot of attention on English boxing today. You got Fury(who's Irish or English idk what he claims) becoming the WBA/WBO/Ring/Lineal champ, Saunders taking the title WBO away from Ireland and bringing to England, Liam Smith WBO also from England, Kell Brook holding the IBF title, Antony Crolla holding the WBA, Terry Flanagan holding the WBO, Lee Selby with the IBF, Quigg with the WBA, Frampton with the IBF, Lee Haskins with the IBF, and all the way down at Bantam you got Jamie Macdonell with a version of the WBA. That's a total of 11 current world champs. So there's a lot of attention on them right now, and I think this will help Canelo vs Khan's numbers in the UK.
            Froch-Groves 2 had the massive Sky Sports promotional push and was sold in primetime UK time; Alvarez-Khan is going to be aired 3am, UK time.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankieBruno View Post
              On top Khan will still be able to fight Danny for the WBC after

and Eddie Hearn revealed that purse is 50/50
              wrong he lost his ranking at 147

Comment

Froch Groves had a massive push from sky sports based on the bitter rivalry and the controversy . A national tour, with loads of media coverage over months. It captured the casual market on channels like Sky Sports News, which has a large "soccer" audience. It was aired at Prime Time UK. That did 900k?

AJ vs Whyte again had months of build up on sky sports. They pitched the bitter rivalry with a few documentary style build ups and pushed it mainly on a large "soccer" audience channel, capturing the casual market. That was again aired at prime time and did 400k?

Floyd Vs Manny, was the biggest fight of ALL time. This got a huge push from sky and due to it's magnitude, did fairly well. It aired at 3am in the UK, and still only managed to do 400k reportedly.

Neither Khan or Canelo have a big following in the UK. There is no big rivalry. There is no controversy. The's no bitterness. It's unlikely to receive a big build up, no documentaries, or head to heads to spice it up. It's going to be aired at 3am most likely. I can't categorically say it won't do well, but i'd be very surprised if this did good PPV numbers in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Joshua is being explicitly backed by Sky Sports/Matchroom Sport, with most believing that Joshua may actually be the next great heavyweight fighter, let alone British fighter; they've brought Joshua along as best as one could expect, have started to dabble with him being a PPV fighter, and the early returns are increasingly promising.

The only entity that's ever backed Khan in anything like that is Frank Warren and his BoxNation platform; Sky Sport's interest in Amir Khan, to be blunt, only go as far as staging a massive domestic fight with domestic rival Kell Brook, a fighter that Sky Sports and Matchroom Sport have invested in building up.

For all the talk of Joshua already being a massive PPV success, context is key; 400k PPV buys, even at the most favorable of terms, still only brought in ~$4m on the take, a figure subsidized by a massive live gate.

Is BoxNation really going to shell out the massive bucks for a fight that they'll be getting at 3 in the morning, without the benefit of a live gate, for a fighter whose UK popularity, to me, is in doubt for the simple reason of his fans having not seen him in years? I doubt it.
                  The amount of coverage already given by Sky sports shows their interest, this fight will be PPV on Sky whether you like it or not.

Comment

I don't think the UK market is as petty as the US market is with things like this. I could easily see Sky wanting this fight & it being good for Hearn & Sky long term anyway in refocusing Khan's UK fans with the intention of Brook vs Khan at a future date at 147 or 154.

But again regardless I can't see someone not jumping on this fight & PPVing it in the UK. It'd be silly not to as its a guy who at least arguably at one time had a good UK following vs arguably the new #1 draw in the sport. Idk if there is tons of money to be made here, but there is for sure money to be made.

Comment

Please name a single other major fight, outside of Mayweather-Pacquiao, that wasn't with Matchroom Sport that Sky Sports put on Sky Box Office; heck, Mayweather vs Alvarez, as big as that fight was, ended up on BoxNation with nary any objection from Sky Sports.

To drive the point even further, how many Amir Khan fights have even aired on Sky Sports?

The notion that some bidding war is going to erupt is laughable.
                      How about a little fight with Fury and Klitschko not very long ago. There have been plenty if you go back over the last 5 years. Khan has been on Sky and Sky Box office plenty of times including Kotelnik, Barrera, Prescott. Maidana was also on Sky. He fell out with them over the McCloskey fight but since then the Alexander, Garcia, and Diaz fight were on Sky. So yeah plenty.

Alvarez was not the draw he is today before Mayweather, he has become much bigger since Floyd and Cotto, two bonafide stars.

The fact that you claim to know whether Sky Sports bid for Canelo v Mayweather is more laughable. There is no way to know unless you know a studio head.

I guarantee that both will go in for this fight though, and I will be massively surprised if Sky don't pick it up as a ppv. There is a chance that Warren might get it for Boxnation I would say.

When you have been proved wrong I will look for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X