No announcement yet.

Dan Rafael had Mathysse 114-112 winning against Garcia

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SonOfCuba View Post
    I think people are forgetting how huge that knockdown was for Garcia to get the win.

If it wasn't for the knockdown this was a close fight up in the air.
    This is a very good point, and one I admittedly hadn't really thought too much about until now.

Originally posted by Thoughts View Post
    Danny also got a point deducted from him. Sorta even out.
    Not really. Matthysse was winning the eleventh big when Garcia scored the KD. Danny wound up winning the round 10-8, whereas Lucas would've otherwise won 10-9. That's a three point swing. Garcia was winning the twelfth when the point deduction came, so it was scored 9-9, instead of 10-9for Danny -- a difference of one point.

As things turned out, the scores were so close that the fight might've had a very different outcome if not for the knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
      Actually, if not for the knockdown Lucas probably wins the rounds and the fight on two judges' scorecards. All three judges had it reasonably close, very well judged fight. It was the only fight that didn't have a weird scorecard that night.
      Originally posted by FromBA View Post
      I agree. And it doesn't seem to support some previous speculation that Lucas couldn't win a close fight on the cards. I think that if he had won just one round more than Danny, he would have likely won a split decision.
      I thought Garcia clearly won on points, and it was a very close fight on paper. It was a relatively easy fight to score, and the judges did a very competent job of scoring. I agreed with the two judges that had it 114-112. The third judge's 115-111 score was quite reasonable as well. It's amazing to think that Matthysse might've actually won the fight if not for the knockdown.

Some people are coming back with the fact that Danny's point deduction made the fight closer that it might've otherwise been. That is true, but one of the differences is that the knockdown was questionable, while the low blows were unquestionable.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        I thought Garcia clearly won on points, and it was a very close fight on paper. It was a relatively easy fight to score, and the judges did a very competent job of scoring. I agreed with the two judges that had it 114-112. The third judge's 115-111 score was quite reasonable as well. It's amazing to think that Matthysse might've actually won the fight if not for the knockdown.

Some people are coming back with the fact that Danny's point deduction made the fight closer that it might've otherwise been. That is true, but one of the differences is that the knockdown was questionable, while the low blows were unquestionable.
        Well they are questionable because Danny would do three punch combos to the body and Lucas would pull his head down, also I counted 4 rabbit punches by Lucas, so it comes off as Lucas fans always crying.

Comment

Originally posted by Enzo Mc is **** View Post
          Had Garcia lost points for the low blows and not been awarded a dubious knockdown, I could see it being close. But he only lost the one point and the referee counted the knockdown so Fat Dan's card is terrible.
          Who? Any rematch would be a welter where I would favor Danny even more.

Comment

Originally posted by johnm is... View Post
            I love the fact that Matthysse fan boys are having to eat this.

Have 'em, Garcia fans. According to 98% of this board, Garcia wouldn't be awake to see the 5th round. Then Swift went out and controlled him.

Boo hoo.
            It was win-win for me.

Angel Garcia having to chop his head off.

Or some of the Matthysse hype finally die down for a week.

I thought Lucas was the best at 140, but it was getting pretty funny around here during the lead up to the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
              It was win-win for me.

Angel Garcia having to chop his head off.

Or some of the Matthysse hype finally die down for a week.

I thought Lucas was the best at 140, but it was getting pretty funny around here during the lead up to the fight.
              It's been great, I almost feel like it's help check the Golovkin hype to.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRealOneShot View Post
                Well they are questionable because Danny would do three punch combos to the body and Lucas would pull his head down, also I counted 4 rabbit punches by Lucas, so it comes off as Lucas fans always crying.
                I don't doubt your count of four. It sounds about right. But there are two major differences in the fouls. One, Garcia low blowed far more often than Matthysse rabbit punched. Two, you can't compare a foul thrown while an opponent is moving past you, as you deliver a punch, with a foul delivered at a stationary target.

As for Lucas pulling Danny's head down, I only saw one instance of that during the fight. It was in the early rounds, and Weeks warned him for it. Please tell me where you saw another instance of Matthysse doing the same thing.

Comment

It's been great, I almost feel like it's help check the Golovkin hype to.
                  If Stevens beats Golovkin....

It's fun to build up guys to mythical status. Eating iguanas, good boyin fools, meat is my favorite food and all.

I like Lucas and GGG.

Golovkin is the favorite, and rightfully so.

But to totally dismiss Stevens?

He is hungry, and he can bang.

GGG in two rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
                    I don't doubt your count of four. It sounds about right. But there are two major differences in the fouls. One, Garcia low blowed far more often than Matthysse rabbit punched. Two, you can't compare a foul thrown while an opponent is moving past you, as you deliver a punch, with a foul delivered at a stationary target.

As for Lucas pulling Danny's head down, I only saw one instance of that during the fight. It was in the early rounds, and Weeks warned him for it. Please tell me where you saw another instance of Matthysse doing the same thing.
                    I wish I had the fight saved because I can't tell you the moments but Danny likes to work that belt and I feel like it happened at least twice. I which watch the replay very closely because I didn't see the fight people are saying.

I saw a guy working the body, I've seen Agbeko-Mares comparisons I didn't see that at all.

Comment

I wish I had the fight saved because I can't tell you the moments but Danny likes to work that belt and I feel like it happened at least twice. I which watch the replay very closely because I didn't see the fight people are saying.

I saw a guy working the body, I've seen Agbeko-Mares comparisons I didn't see that at all.
                      "At least" two doesn't sound like very much. Garcia worked the body, yes; but he threw quite a few punches on the belt line and below. I didn't count, but I'd say a dozen or so punches "strayed". That's a lot, even if a couple were "aided" by Matthysse. I haven't made Mares-Agbeko comparisons, but Danny threw an unacceptable number of blows directly on the nuts. Weeks thought it was bad enough to take a point in a very close fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X