No announcement yet.

How to improve footwork?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to improve footwork?

I want to improve my footwork so I can move around the ring quicker,more efficiently and into better positions.
    Is there any drills I can practice at home to do this.
    Also don't say talk to your coach as my club closed for the summer.

What I have access to at home is:
    A heavy bag
    A slip bag
    A skipping rope
    and a speed ladder I drew with chalk

Originally posted by ad98 View Post
    I want to improve my footwork so I can move around the ring quicker,more efficiently and into better positions.
    Is there any drills I can practice at home to do this.
    Also don't say talk to your coach as my club closed for the summer.

What I have access to at home is:
    A heavy bag
    A slip bag
    A skipping rope
    and a speed ladder I drew with chalk
    Jump rope and running, as well as some other drills that I dont even know names in English

Comment

Work on your balance a lot as well. It's surprising how much easier it is to employ good footwork when you're never off balance.

Comment

Use the speed ladder that you lay on the floor and do footwork drills to enhance your fast twitch muscle, foot speed, and coordination.

I also incorporate lateral, front to back movement, and make sure that my legs don't cross. When you shadow box, dedicate 2-4 rounds just to ring movement, practice being evasive as well as setting up your punches by positioning yourself properly.

Comment

Study video's! If your a boxer looking to improve your in & out movement along with laterial motion study;
          Willie Pep
          Benny Leonard
          Willie Pastrano
          Ali (laterial)
          Sugar Ray Robinson
          Ray Leonard
          Marvin Hagler (very good steps)

theres a few, lots of shadowing in the ring. Move keeping your shadow in the center then move from the center cutting the ring and trapping!! Feet should NEVER come together and back foot needs to be no more than pointing at 2 o'clock! (front at noon) beyond 2 o'clock you won't be able to add your shoulders and hip into your back hand!! Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            Study video's! If your a boxer looking to improve your in & out movement along with laterial motion study;
            Willie Pep
            Benny Leonard
            Willie Pastrano
            Ali (laterial)
            Sugar Ray Robinson
            Ray Leonard
            Marvin Hagler (very good steps)

theres a few, lots of shadowing in the ring. Move keeping your shadow in the center then move from the center cutting the ring and trapping!! Feet should NEVER come together and back foot needs to be no more than pointing at 2 o'clock! (front at noon) beyond 2 o'clock you won't be able to add your shoulders and hip into your back hand!! Ray.
            Good advice as usual Ray. I watched countless hours, as instructed by my trainer, of Sugar Ray Robinson. The guys in a leauge by himself in my mind when it comes to working a full ring.......... Rockin'

Comment

Ray makes a good point about point about where to point the toe of your rear foot. I grew up watching a lot of fighters from Mexico, and many of them pointed that right toe off to the right, so I did too. Nobody ever corrected it and it messed me up for a long time.
              Then I saw a picture of Gene Tunney and noticed his right toe pointed straight ahead and a light bulb went off above my head. All of a sudden, I could throw a right hand.

Comment

straight? shouldn't the right foot be a little bit angled am confused.

Comment

Originally posted by Hailow View Post
                  straight? shouldn't the right foot be a little bit angled am confused.
                  Re-read Ray's post. Noon being straight ahead (at your opponent) don't go beyond '2'.
                  I boxed for a long time with it at '3' and it really caused me problems. Couldn't get turned on the right hand. Pain in the lower back from trying to get turned on the right hand.

Comment

Two o'clock is good cause you pivot of the back foot as you throw the right hand generating more power. As for foot drills. Use the mirrors, use foot bands, shuffle box (love the shuffle box) it's good for speed; balance and changing directions. There are many more to keep you interested in working on footwork. plus circle in both directions. You'll be surprise at how any boxers can't move efficiently in both directions and I as a coach love to take advantage of this. Most old school coaches/fighters don't like a wide stance but if you have the skills to move in all directions without jeopardizing your balance then knock yourself out. Personally I think that if you can master both, you'll be a better boxer.

Comment

Working...
                    X