No announcement yet.

Did Lennox Lewis avoid fellow world champions Ruiz and Byrd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Johnny heard View Post
    Both held versions of the heavyweight title while Lewis was lineal champion both never got close to a fight being made against the true number one Lewis, you hear rumours over the years that manny steward wanted no part of Chris Byrd cause he would make Lennox look slow and clumsy and that John Ruiz had the better of Lennox in sparring back when Lewis was preparing for the golota fight, I would of liked to of seen both fights, just to see how Lennox handled these 2 potential banana skins.
    I think lennox did avoid those fights but not over fear that he would lose. he just didnt wanna be involved in an ugly displeasing fight that the fans had little interest for. I was never a huge lennox fan but I always respected how he always fought the contenders the public wanted him to fight and took on many a big puncher during his reign

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      That's the truth. I always admired Lewis for staying independent from King.
      I agree. I remember not really liking lewis when he was first coming through the ranks but I slowly gained more and more respect for him as his career went on including staying away from the devil and taking out all threats

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
        I think lennox did avoid those fights but not over fear that he would lose. he just didnt wanna be involved in an ugly displeasing fight that the fans had little interest for. I was never a huge lennox fan but I always respected how he always fought the contenders the public wanted him to fight and took on many a big puncher during his reign
        One more time...he did not avoid Ruiz (there is a case with Byrd). He declared he would fight the WBA mando AFTER Grant and the WBA was okay with that. King/Ruiz sued anyways. They ducked Lewis. Not the other way around. King wanted control of a belt. That's all it was.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
          One more time...he did not avoid Ruiz (there is a case with Byrd). He declared he would fight the WBA mando AFTER Grant and the WBA was okay with that. King/Ruiz sued anyways. They ducked Lewis. Not the other way around. King wanted control of a belt. That's all it was.
          maybe youre right. either way,,,I was actually giving lewis a compliment for not taking ugly fights and taking on more serious threats

Comment

You go after the "most money" not what fans think you should do! This is "punch for pay" not wrastlin'!
            The belts have lost so much meaning that they don't mean the most money any more. Reason being is there used to be two organizations WBA & WBC the IBF was a junior federation and the USBA was the States titles to climb up the rankings with. The rest weren't in existence and before the era of "Two" the junior weight classes didn't have much clout to them. The money was in the traditional weight classes.

Money talks belts get thrown in the trash cans, where they belong!
            Ray

Comment

Ruiz would've been bodybagged.

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralZod View Post
                Ruiz would've been bodybagged.
                yea,,,,ruiz's jab and grab wouldnt have worked on lennox. hed have timed ruiz with a big right at some point

Comment

No, lewis was almost out of the sport as Ruiz and Byrd got title recognition and Lewis was barely fighting once or twice a year. I think Lewis lost a taste for boxing when he finally beat Tyson, that was what he'd wanted for years and he had it. He was never the same after that.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                    No, lewis was almost out of the sport as Ruiz and Byrd got title recognition and Lewis was barely fighting once or twice a year. I think Lewis lost a taste for boxing when he finally beat Tyson, that was what he'd wanted for years and he had it. He was never the same after that.
                    Well he only had one more fight after Tyson, so that's hard to estimate.

Comment

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
                      maybe youre right. either way,,,I was actually giving lewis a compliment for not taking ugly fights and taking on more serious threats
                      No maybe...it's what happened. These were actual events.

Comment

Working...
                      X