No announcement yet.

165? 175?... Where should I be?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sukhenkoy View Post
    You say you have a better chance of scoring a KO at 165, but have you had an KO's in any of your fights thus far? If you have, then maybe consider going down to 165. If you haven't, then I would definitely stick to 175, as KOs are fairly uncommon in AM boxing as it is.

The decision is ultimately yours since you know your body better than anyone here ever will.
    yes I've had 2 stoppages (by ref) and about 7 standing 8's given out so far at 165.. the rest were 175 and were sloppy... I could post those fights but i chose not too.. its the one si won the belt at. only fights that have been seen are the ones at 165. thats 4 at 165 and 3 at 175.

the rest are 175 and i've slugged it and had no standing 8's. but I'm more skilled now so i think I could do alot better than i have in the past but as for now i am just stronger than regular 165.

Comment

6'1" seems like a tall 175 to me. If you said you feel healthier and stronger at 175, then height and reach advantage just seems like icing on the cake. However, I think your height and reach advantage would just be particularly advantageous at 165. When I still had a trainer and a club I could go to, I was naturally over 200 lbs, but I got down to under 190, fought as a heavyweight, and did well for myself being 6'3".

Did you ask your trainer?
      Last edited by Bendigo; 12-03-2008, 01:33 PM.

Comment

id say 178, but if you naturally fall under its ok, fight where your healthiest w/out being drained. If you have no energy 165 but your in best shape say 172 or sumthin, so what if your a few lbs under, your in good shape and will be much faster than some big guys. I could fight at 152 or 165 and im in best shape at 160 but i know ill have no energy at 152 so im gonna fight 165 but actually be 160. Maybe have some room to gain some mucle mass.

Comment

Originally posted by Bendigo View Post
          6'1" seems like a tall 175 to me. If you said you feel healthier and stronger at 175, then height and reach advantage just seems like icing on the cake. However, I think your height and reach advantage would just be particularly advantageous at 165. When I still had a trainer and a club I could go to, I was naturally over 200 lbs, but I got down to under 190, fought as a heavyweight, and did well for myself being 6'3".

Did you ask your trainer?
          yes he said he thinks i would be a great 178 because my back is so big...and im tall enough and have good chin but that mostly i could definitely bang with them... if i was just a big faster 165 would be my mudering weight. as of right now i only hold power and chin over them.

Originally posted by cusd'amatokid View Post
          id say 178, but if you naturally fall under its ok, fight where your healthiest w/out being drained. If you have no energy 165 but your in best shape say 172 or sumthin, so what if your a few lbs under, your in good shape and will be much faster than some big guys. I could fight at 152 or 165 and im in best shape at 160 but i know ill have no energy at 152 so im gonna fight 165 but actually be 160. Maybe have some room to gain some mucle mass.

Thats what me and my trainer were thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
            6,0 -6,1 .... always something like that.
            same problem as me, only i can barely make 165. when i get to 169, i already feel weak. at 178, i feel very strong.

even though i am taller than you (i'm 6' 2.5''), it looks like you have a bigger frame than me. tyson was only 5'11'', but a natural heavyweight for sure. sounds like if you were pro, you'd fight super middle, but since weigh-ins in the am's are the day of, and there is that nasty 13 lb difference between weight classes, i think you should stay where you are most comfortable (178). keep sparring the lighter guys too so that you are used to faster guys. then the 178 guys will seem like they are in slow motion. sounds like you got the power and chin to handle it well. good luck!

Comment

If you get to higher comps then you will be fighting other guys that seem huge for their weight. I saw the cuban olympic middleweight training here and he looked ripped and huge, really seemed bigger than a middleweight, I was suprised. He must have really worked to keep at that weight. So I would suggest staying at the lower weight if it isnt gonna really weaken you to do so. At lower level comps it is not so important but for the title fights I would say go the lightest you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Trrmo View Post
                If you get to higher comps then you will be fighting other guys that seem huge for their weight. I saw the cuban olympic middleweight training here and he looked ripped and huge, really seemed bigger than a middleweight, I was suprised. He must have really worked to keep at that weight. So I would suggest staying at the lower weight if it isnt gonna really weaken you to do so. At lower level comps it is not so important but for the title fights I would say go the lightest you can.
                yes very good point

my coach is friends with an olympic boxer (recently retired) and he was saying that one reason the cubans do so well is because they are all quite big for their weightclasses, some diet and go hungry and keep up training all year round just so they can fight at their nominated weight and be as ripped as they possibly can

many other top amateurs do this too

that emilio correa guy, was he the guy you saw train? he repped cuba in bejing at 75 kg if it was him (which it would be i assume) yeah hes a pretty big MW hey? long arms and thick build, when i saw him on telly i would have thought he was fighting 81 kg if it werent for the commentators announcing it as a 75 kg bout etc and i thought he looked biggish for 81 kg lol

Comment

its your body, so do what you feel best doing

being big for the weight is a good thing and many top ams are big for their weightclasses, so 165 might be your best shot

but going to 178 could be an oppurtunity to fill out with more muscle (even though from what ive seen youre pretty muscular already) and if you feell better at that weight...go for it
                  Last edited by KostyaTszyu44; 12-04-2008, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
                    yes very good point

my coach is friends with an olympic boxer (recently retired) and he was saying that one reason the cubans do so well is because they are all quite big for their weightclasses, some diet and go hungry and keep up training all year round just so they can fight at their nominated weight and be as ripped as they possibly can

many other top amateurs do this too

that emilio correa guy, was he the guy you saw train? he repped cuba in bejing at 75 kg if it was him (which it would be i assume) yeah hes a pretty big MW hey? long arms and thick build, when i saw him on telly i would have thought he was fighting 81 kg if it werent for the commentators announcing it as a 75 kg bout etc and i thought he looked biggish for 81 kg lol
                    Yes it was Emilio Correa, In comparison the Ecuadorian middleweight who also fought at the olympics looked like a welter.

Comment

Originally posted by DA1CATAS View Post
                      I can make 165 but am often drained after making it.. still been winning but yea I sparred some good guys in thart weight class yesterday and they are faster than me but once I touched them it was basically over then.

Sparred some guys at 178 but I was faster than them and my power was just as good and BETTER and they were much slower and I could hit them more.

Of course fighting the smaller guys its easier for me to get the possible KO and less for them.. but the speed bothers me a lil..

178 just seemed like I was too quick and strong..

What do you guys think? My trainer would like me at 178 and says my chin is good enough.. but that I could just keep training and make whatever and see where it takes me, but that i would probably be best and get even stronger staying at 178 and he will wait and see. If i really chill I go to 190.

To make 178 i can just train regular and eat whatever I want and still be 178... To make 165 I have to diet and lose water weight...

What weight class should I be YOU think.

Basically... Size and Much power, less speed?

OR

Power More speed and still sorta big for 175.
                      I think 100 suits you best, 100 as in the 100k you ****in owe me.

Comment

Working...
                      X