Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Porter adapts DISTANCE MANAGEMENT & TIMING; he'll be a problem for anyone...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short guys always forget that their jab will work against taller opponents, they just need to use it with some movement. You can slid laterally and double up as you move in at the same time. There's many adjustments to using a good jab and he has to develop more than one.
    To me the biggest problem with this young man is his lack of use with his right hand!
    he is left hand conscience and that adds to his one dimensional performances.
    He needs to add the right hand straight to the side (body) after his jab and before he hooks. Once you have distance measured to the body on a taller opponent then you can search for the head but until you can get near for solid side shots your just wasting your energy and putting yourself in positions to get hit!
    I like the kid but he has a lot of work to do and I don't think the father & son team can move forward from here. He needs a pro trainer who can teach him and challenge him. He must mature mentally along with the physical process.

I liked both he and Brook but they are NOT finished products at all. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Short guys always forget that their jab will work against taller opponents, they just need to use it with some movement. You can slid laterally and double up as you move in at the same time. There's many adjustments to using a good jab and he has to develop more than one.
      To me the biggest problem with this young man is his lack of use with his right hand!
      he is left hand conscience and that adds to his one dimensional performances.
      He needs to add the right hand straight to the side (body) after his jab and before he hooks. Once you have distance measured to the body on a taller opponent then you can search for the head but until you can get near for solid side shots your just wasting your energy and putting yourself in positions to get hit!
      I like the kid but he has a lot of work to do and I don't think the father & son team can move forward from here. He needs a pro trainer who can teach him and challenge him. He must mature mentally along with the physical process.

I liked both he and Brook but they are NOT finished products at all. Ray.
      Very good post. I agree porter really needs a new trainer to elevate his game. His dad's advice in the corner wasn't very good. If he was more selective like you say he wouldn't have tired so quickly. But you have to be pretty active against a guy like brook, especially with such a disparity in height.

Comment

He was his own worst enemy saturday, he will get better tho

Comment

Originally posted by JackTheLad View Post
          Change that avi mate, it's embarrassing.
          Lol I will eventually. Might as well sport it to let the British fans enjoy their win

Comment

Originally posted by Jloro View Post
            Lol I will eventually. Might as well sport it to let the British fans enjoy their win
            ha no its funny, keep it

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
              Stop lunging forward, he looks like a kangaroo in the ring. For some reason he jumps and throws himself forward with every punch, and ends up through the whole fight like Maidana did against floyd in the ropes. Wasting energy and punches that land on the back.

If he adapts a good feel for distance and timing, he will be scary. He needs to channel all of that uncontrolled energy and be wiser with his shot selection. Somewhere along the way he fell in love with his Mike Tyson-esque persona and pushed aside the fundamentals. Once he incorporates the IQ part of the game (which he does have btw) with his gifted physical abilities, he'll be a problem for anyone.

Too much potential to discard him as a one dimensional wild hog. Imagine that bull rushing you with a thought out attack as opposed to throwing wildly and hoping one connects.
              He wasn't brought up in the Russian school -- therefore there is no point in pursuing such improvements.

Comment

I also think if porter used a more Tyson like approach he would greatly improve. He can slip punches to get on the inside but he just needs to do head body head body. And like Tyson, he should use a jab to get on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by Golovkin View Post
                  Stop lunging forward, he looks like a kangaroo in the ring. For some reason he jumps and throws himself forward with every punch, and ends up through the whole fight like Maidana did against floyd in the ropes. Wasting energy and punches that land on the back.

If he adapts a good feel for distance and timing, he will be scary. He needs to channel all of that uncontrolled energy and be wiser with his shot selection. Somewhere along the way he fell in love with his Mike Tyson-esque persona and pushed aside the fundamentals. Once he incorporates the IQ part of the game (which he does have btw) with his gifted physical abilities, he'll be a problem for anyone.

Too much potential to discard him as a one dimensional wild hog. Imagine that bull rushing you with a thought out attack as opposed to throwing wildly and hoping one connects.
                  Yeah if he learns how to box he could be half decent...

Comment

he has no power

he's short

Comment

Working...
                    X