No announcement yet.

Donaire vs Mathebula recap & RBR

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dominicano Soy View Post
    I think Donaire is an entirely different animal when he's either expected to lose or have a tough outing, but I'll never understand why he doesn't simply look to touch his opponent as opposed to loading up on one big shot at times. When you got that kind of power, simply touching the opponent alone would do damage. He has the right trainer to teach him how to walk opponents down too, maybe Donaire is stubborn.

That said I expect him to shine against Rigondeaux, the way he approached Montiel, Darchinyan it was with the kind of demeanor of lettin' the viewers know he's up there with the best of them. His performance against Nishioka is extremely underrated in my opinion, I don't think many know the difficulties he faced that night. Nishi had success landing huge counters, I was surprised Donaire wasn't shaken up by some of them, but it's like he knew what Nishioka was plotting, he fought a very smart fight there.

Rigondeaux needs to feint, make Donaire pull the trigger on that counter left hook and quickly counter in return, Rigondeaux has the tools to do that. Lets see if he'll make that his focus point.

I see talent, I think he has very good power but to me hes fallen in love with his power way too much!

In the Mathebula fight when he used his jab in about the 7th or so and boxed he had much better success! He was doubling up on his jab and able to set his left hook up, everything flowed off the jab nicely without having to go crazy and lunging, doing silly rolls & superman punches.
    He actually got tagged good a few times when clowning, I think its a good job Mathebula isn't a puncher as that really could of made things interesting.
    I'd like to think he'd show a puncher more respect but he did the same against Vasquez Jr, Darchinyan etc

If it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess but he won't get away with that against Rigondeaux

Comment

Not even enter the ring. Just not even waste your time going through training camp, just ship the IBF title to Donaire and ask Boxrec and all sports outlets to add an L in the loss column for him. Might as well, I mean why go through all that trouble only to be made out like you did nothing at all in a fight. It's embarrassing, and it's not like any one cared or would make a big deal about it because he's not a popular boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
        Despicable scoring. It's like if Mathebula did nothing at all, he just went there to show up for a check when that was far from what happened.

Mathebula might as well have entered the ring, handed over the IBF title to Donaire, and leave before the first round. I mean those scores looked like if Donaire was already predetermined the winner of the fight.

Crazy, they must of filled them out in advance. Its not like they was all close rounds either, Mathebula won 4-5 rounds crystal clear. I think there was 3 where Donaire barely landed anything at all and clearly got outboxed & outworked. Rounds that you couldn't even argue for Donaire winning.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
          Crazy, they must of filled them out in advance. Its not like they was all close rounds either, Mathebula won 4-5 rounds crystal clear. I think there was 3 where Donaire barely landed anything at all and clearly got outboxed & outworked. Rounds that you couldn't even argue for Donaire winning.
          Don't Worry! After Rigo got KOed by Donaire, He can try to fight Mathebula for chump change!

Comment

Rigo will not be as competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Yeah I recall him landing an extra nothing clean and people saying he was shelling up for most part (not surprising really given the massive weight & size advantage Donaire had) but he did a lot of subtle work.
              He was catching his left hook & coming off it with his own right hook.

The more I see of Donaire the least impressed I am tbh, I can not for the life of me see this guy even being competitive with Rigondeaux.

I think its another case of everyone loves a puncher! You've only gotta hear the crowd going absolutely insane over his big telegraphed shots & fancy leaping uppercuts that miss by a country mile.

I'll do a RBR and a more in depth look at the Concepcion fight next (when I'm more awake)

Comment

One thing I can say that Mathebula did that I know Rigo won't do is keep his right arm protecting against that left hook.

If Rigo can protect against the left hook, this fight will last more than 6 rounds, if he doesn't, then it's nap time.

One thing is certain, Mathebula's chin>>>>>>>Rigo's chin

Comment

This was a weird fight. It was probably the most one-sided close fight you could imagine. Donaire landed all the big punches, but Mathebula was throwing so much more and landing.

I hate when Donaire fights the way he did in this and the Vazquez fight. Loading up looking for the left hook all the damn time.

Comment

I might have given Mathebula 4 rounds from what I remember.

Mathebula is a pretty good fighter. You guys should check out the his fight against Caballero if you haven't seen it. He got jobbed pretty badly.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleMM View Post
                      the fight you wanan watch is Donaire vs Navez

navez is a lefty with a ton of exp and am exp. nonito didn't land more thna tw clean punches all fight.

navez was a small guy moving up in weight also. nonito couldn't touch him

rigo is way faster, stronger, and a much better fighter.

nonito was also gassing hard in that fight and naves wasn't even landing. nonito expends tons of energy throwing his punches

rigo will drown em!
                      Narvaez fought like Clottey, in his own shell.
                      Probably got the bad case of diarrhea too.

This was closer than the cards but still had Donaire winning.

Comment

Working...
                      X