Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be remembered as the better fighter, Cotto or Mosley?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be remembered as the better fighter, Cotto or Mosley?

First thoughts were Mosley easily but I think it's not as clear cut as once thought.

Both 3 weight Champions Cotto - 140,147,154, Mosley - 135,147,154

Cotto holds the victory over Shane in their encounter in a close fight.

Shane holds the biggest win between the pair with a win over Prime Oscar De La Hoya and did something Cotto failed to do in KOing Margarito (now the whole wrap scandal comes into play). Cotto did better vs Mayweather and Pacquiao than Mosley, even though Pacquiao stopped Cotto.

If Cotto gets maybe 1-2 more huge wins maybe he could take it? (e.g Canelo)
    Shane Mosley
    49.06%
    Miguel Cotto
    45.28%
    Too close to call
    5.66%

Both of their campaigns at the lower weights were nothing great but I'll take Cotto's run at 140 over Mosley's at 135, competition wise.

Mosley had a better run at WW. The win over a prime Oscar is just massive.

They've had similar runs at JMW, Cotto has done better record wise but his opposition hasn't been very good.

It's close, but the Oscar win is by far the best win between the two so I give it to Mosley.

Comment

We'll, lets see what cotto's biggest win would be if he started juicing...

Comment

It is very close, but I would say Cotto. Here is why:

1. Head to head - Cotto won the fight (it was close but not close enough to say Mosley could have got the nod)

2. Against similar recent opponents - Cotto took a worse beating from Pacquiao but he came to fight, and actually damaged Pac when he was boxing before he got careless and tried to trade with that crazy midgit. Mosley did nothing to Pac, ran the whole fight in survival mode. Cotto fought a great fight against Mayweather (I gave him 5 rounds, many others gave him 4 at least), besides the 2nd round Mosley got destroyed by Mayweather.

3. Mosley's big advantage are his 2 wins over DLH who is one of the biggest names of all time in boxing to the public. I strongly believe Cotto would also have beat DLH though (at 147 Cotto prime, or 154), others may disagree.

But, it's very close and I wouldn't really argue people who say Mosley, I just prefer Cotto

Also, the fact that Mosley was juicing during his best run - this for me takes a lot away from his reputation, it is strange how people seem to overlook this

Comment

Now, Mosley, definitely. But then again, Cotto's career has a few more years and he still can do more to enhance his all time standing.

Comment

Miguel Cotto. Mosley will be remembered as a drugs cheat.

Comment

It's close, but dominating the lightweight division, beating Oscar for the title, and Margarito is really better than anything Cotto has done.

Comment

Cotto all day...

I would give Cotto the nod all day. Shane is tough but a bit over-rated in my book. Cotto is a better fighter, more skilled, and much smarter. This fight with Mayweather proved a couple of things to me about Cotto. He is an A-level fighter who is able to adjust on the fly, he has great legs, a tremendous jab, and a great new trainer. This version against Floyd was the best he's ever been and I knew that going into the fight just by the type of training he ws doing and who his trainer was. Shane was always a power dummy who didn't learn the basic skills of boxing that would have helped him in his later days. He doesn't jab effectively, he doesn't counter effectively, and he doesn't throw his right hand straight. These are things a complete fighter does on a regular basis. Right? Anyway, I read a couple of posts saying how Cotto would have beaten a prime Oscar at 147; guess what? He wouldn't have. He would have gotten stopped and bloodied by the bigger, stronger, and faster fighter. You guys have a lot of hate for Oscar and that has to do with how he's perceived but let's be realistic and not forget how great of a fighter he was and how he would fight ANYBODY! It is why his place in history is higher than the likes of Mayweather, Roy Jones, and Bernard Hopkins. Hopkins was a light-heavy weight fighting at middleweight and he made his name fighting smaller fighters. Roy was the fastest fighter I ever seen but he was a coward and loud-mouth who ducked a many great fighters; although I am gaining respect for Floyd, I still believe he only fought Cotto for two reasons: He is the 3rd biggest draw in boxing and he was suppose to be damaged goods. If Floyd knew Cotto wasn't shop worn, he wouldn't have fought him, PERIOD. He is running out of time to earn the type of spot he would like on that "all-time" list. With the type of skills he has, every fight should be a big fight in terms of competition, so why isn't it? I think we all know the answer to that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Tooth
                  cotto is the definition of mediocrity.
                  lol?

got to be kidding, best fighter since 2000 is mediocre?

Comment

Originally posted by RichCCFC View Post
                    lol?

got to be kidding, best fighter since 2000 is mediocre?
                    On what planet is Cotto the best fighter since 2000?

Comment

Working...
                    X