No announcement yet.

Whats the best way to throw the jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the best way to throw the jab?

For speed, power, and untelegraphicness (cool new word I just made up)

Its the most important punch in boxing so worth getting it right.

Ive been told by one guy on here that Joe Louis and some other greats kept their fist vertical and they threw it straight from the guard, apparently turning the fist over not only increases the risk of telegraphing the punch but actually reduces the speed and power of the punch too as you have to tense up a bit to do it.

In russia/eastern europe ive seen the polar opposite ive seen alot of guys rotate their fist over to the point where the thumb is almost all the way down, this is done again for superior speed/snap, to cut the guy, to bring the shoulder up for extra defence and for power.

Ive seen Naseem hammed throw it like a back fist it has to be the fastest way to throw it imo, it looses its telephone pole like structure but its a faster more pure snappy strike.

What you think is the best way to throw a jab for speed power and effectiveness!?
    Last edited by AlexKid; 08-20-2013, 04:26 PM.

don't just throw it out their, ALWAYS STEP IN with it

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
      For speed, power, and untelegraphicness (cool new word I just made up)

Its the most important punch in boxing so worth getting it right.

Ive been told by one guy on here that Joe Louis and some other greats kept their fist vertical and they threw it straight from the guard, apparently turning the fist over not only increases the risk of telegraphing the punch but actually reduces the speed and power of the punch too as you have to tense up a bit to do it.

In russia/eastern europe ive seen the polar opposite ive seen alot of guys rotate their fist over to the point where the thumb is almost all the way down, this is done again for superior speed/snap, to cut the guy, to bring the shoulder up for extra defence and for power.

Ive seen Naseem hammed throw it like a back fist it has to be the fastest way to throw it imo, it looses its telephone pole like structure but its a faster more pure snappy strike.

What you think is the best way to throw a jab for speed power and effectiveness!?
      like joe louis. i fought out of detroit and that jab was passed on to me. It solid, harder to pick up with the eyes which will make it a very fast punch to your opponent. If you throw it properly; not raising your elbow, with your leg behind the punch and turning over to 1 o'clock you will have a new weapon to wrk with. Use your feet with some feints and that jab becomes a bomb to your opponent, taking his immediate attention, then you easily drop in the rights and the hooks. Then back on the rolling jab and so on......... Rockin'

Comment

...yeah.................don't forget to open your eyes too............. Ray

Comment

But having your left hand vertical leaves you with a less defense.Right?

Comment

Originally posted by Hailow View Post
            But having your left hand vertical leaves you with a less defense.Right?
            no it does not, defense it mainly about the eyes. a vertical position will cover your rib cage when in proper position. if you want to defend the head you simply slip or pull your left glove 6" back to protect your skull........... Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
              like joe louis. i fought out of detroit and that jab was passed on to me. It solid, harder to pick up with the eyes which will make it a very fast punch to your opponent. If you throw it properly; not raising your elbow, with your leg behind the punch and turning over to 1 o'clock you will have a new weapon to wrk with. Use your feet with some feints and that jab becomes a bomb to your opponent, taking his immediate attention, then you easily drop in the rights and the hooks. Then back on the rolling jab and so on......... Rockin'
              I like that a lot, thanks for sharing that bro defs gonna try it out and work on it.

Comment

Working...
              X