Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Martinez can fight Pac at 150, but can't fight Kirkland at 154????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to really like Sergio. Now he and lou are getting on my damned nerves. let's hope he gets the money fight against Chavez so he can quit fcking crying.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
      Martinez doesn't have time to make his name right now. He see's his age and wants that quick money that quick fame.

Also name a fighter who didn't have Gold Medal success and made a name for himself without piggy backing some one else? It's very hard, easier said than done.

Angulo-Kirkland II on PPV would have done terrible PPV numbers. So would Martinez-Kirkland II. Think about it. It would be very difficult for that fight to surpass Ward-Gatti, Marquez-Vazquez, Castillo-Corrales and neither of the rematch had a PPV. Because, it's not just a PPV fight. No matter how awesome the fight could be. It's just not PPV. Because, they just don't have the fan base. Now it can end up on a PPV if both fighters command big money. But, it just won't sell well.

I don't care what Lou says, he contradicts himself just as much as anyone.

All I'm getting from you is that Martinez is all about money.

Let's say Kirkland goes to 160. How much money do you think he'll get if he fights Kirkland at 160 compared to 154?

Team Martinez already agreed to fight Kirkland at 160. How much of a financial difference do you think Kirkland is at 160 than 154?

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        All I'm getting from you is that Martinez is all about money.

Let's say Kirkland goes to 160. How much money do you think he'll get if he fights Kirkland at 160 compared to 154?

Team Martinez already agreed to fight Kirkland at 160. How much of a financial difference do you think Kirkland is at 160 than 154?
        Of course Martinez is all about money.

I can't give you an exact figure. Not sure what you're looking for. First of all you're focusing too much at the 160 limit. Lou never mentioned the fight being at 160. He said Kirkland needs to move up and fight for the MW title. Never ruled out a catch-weight like he was going to do for Angulo.

Because, they will use the MW title as a selling point. You can sell a fight easier with a title on the line than a none title.

That's the difference between having the fight at 154 and at MW even at a catch-weight.

Also he is a comfortable MW. He doesn't want to struggle making weight unless it's worth it.

Comment

@ IronDan

Sorry to answer a few of your questions. I just get really pasionate about stuff like this lol

I'm gonna hit the gym in a second. Have at it.

Comment

Great, so Martinez should take on all comer's at 160, correct?

I'd love to hear how Pirog/Golovkin is a so much bigger fight in the US than Kirkland.

Is it because of the possible title?
            What????????????/

Comment

WTF is going on in boxing right now????

Everytime I log in, things are getting worse and worse in the boxing world.

Martinez has no problem's fighting Pac at 150, but must fight Kirkland at 160????

Lace em up and do what you're paid to do.

Thoughts?
              Why hate on that?

Martinez was the LMW champ for a long time, now he is the MW champ. That has to count for something right?

Kirkland has never even been an interim champ.

Martinez is offering a guy who has never even fought for a title a shot at his belt @ the weight he earned it at.

Whats wrong with that?

If losing another 4 pounds can get a sick payday, whats wrong with that? Obviously if Kirk cant give him that kind of payday, why would it make sense for the middleweight champ to move down to light middleweight? For the challenge?

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
                Of course Martinez is all about money.

I can't give you an exact figure. Not sure what you're looking for. First of all you're focusing too much at the 160 limit. Lou never mentioned the fight being at 160. He said Kirkland needs to move up and fight for the MW title. Never ruled out a catch-weight like he was going to do for Angulo.

Because, they will use the MW title as a selling point. You can sell a fight easier with a title on the line than a none title.

That's the difference between having the fight at 154 and at MW even at a catch-weight.

Also he is a comfortable MW. He doesn't want to struggle making weight unless it's worth it.
                If he fights Kirkland, I just don't see why he should fight him at a catchweight when according to Lou, Martinez can clearly make 154.

Before Martinez fought Macklin, Martinez clearly said in the interview that he's a JMW fighting at MW.

I would put Martinez fighting Kirkland at a catchweight in the same boat I put Pac for fighting Bradley at 147. It's not their opponents most proven weight.

That said, I understand your point about fighting for the title. I just don't think the financial difference will be that great than what Martinez got against Barker.

I guess my whole point of the thread was with all the questions about weight lately and fighters flip flopping, I just wanted to make sure this wasn't another case of "I'll fight this guy at this weight, but I won't fight this guy at this weight".

If I'm going to get on Pac for not fighting guys at their strongest weight, then you best believe I'm gonna do the same for Sergio and even Mayweather for that matter.

That said, If Kirkland is the champ at 154, I think there's a valid point in making that fight at 154. There's a title involved and both fighters would be on solid winning streaks; Kirkland possibly over Molina/Canelo/Vanes. Martinez possibly over Chavez Jr.

That's a little while down the road. I say the next year and a half. But if the cards play out how I expect them too, as a fan, I don't want to hear the "I'm too big to make 154" excuse from Sergio. That's all.
                Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 03-20-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhantom5 View Post
                  Kirkland wasn't even an option when that fight was getting done.

James Kirkland was still recovering from a KO loss from Ishida.

Ann Wolf said herself that James wouldn't be ready for Sergio for 2 or so fights after that.
                  I'm not saying that he should have fought Kirkland instead of Barker.

I'm saying how can he be all about money fights when he just fought Darren Barker?

Comment

Martinez would probably win.

Comment

Originally posted by Elotero View Post
                      Why hate on that?

Martinez was the LMW champ for a long time, now he is the MW champ. That has to count for something right?

Kirkland has never even been an interim champ.

Martinez is offering a guy who has never even fought for a title a shot at his belt @ the weight he earned it at.

Whats wrong with that?

If losing another 4 pounds can get a sick payday, whats wrong with that? Obviously if Kirk cant give him that kind of payday, why would it make sense for the middleweight champ to move down to light middleweight? For the challenge?
                      Elo, how you been man?

I wouldn't expect Kirkland to fight Martinez at 154, for Martinez's MW title just like I wouldn't expect Pac to fight Cotto/Margarito at CW's for their divisional title. I guess, the way I'm looking at it is Martinez just got done saying on Saturday night that he's a JMW fighting at MW. They said he had to eat steak and potatoes to weigh 157 lbs against Macklin. If they were attacking not fighting Kirkland at 154, because they don't want to give their 160 lb title, I understand that. But if they were attacking not fighting Kirk at 154 because they can't make weight, and there's no money, that's my gripe. Because they can make weight and they just fought Barker and Macklin for similar money. My main issue is I wanted to make sure the reasoning was consistent.

Regarding Kirk never being an interim champ, by the time Kirk and Serg would fight, Kirk would have beaten Molina and possibly Canelo for the title. That means that Kirk vs Martinez would happen at 154 for the title, not Sergio's 160 lb title. Also, if Martinez would use the "You don't have champion status" as an excuse not to fight Kirkland, then Martinez deserves everything he gets when Mayweather/Pac/Chavez Jr aren't fighting him for his lack of fan base.

Does this make sense?
                      Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 03-20-2012, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X