No announcement yet.

saving money tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saving money tips?

I've finally got to the point where I'm wanting to get some money behind me after a lifetime of pissing it away on unneeded crap.

First thing is to pay off my debt. Thankfully I don't have too much, just a credit card and an overdraft that I have been living in for years.

I get my bonus in a couple of weeks which should cover half of what I owe so. In the mean time I've been throwing about a quarter of my earning on the credit card.

I've quit smoking which was huge and cut my energy drinks out completely. This is saving me $184 per week, insane I know. Also I've reduced my food spend quite a bit but I think I can do better here.

I'm basically going to be a hermit for a few weeks until I'm out of debt. Then set up a weekly payment of 20% of salary into a savings account.

Anyone got any good savings tips?

make your own lunches for work instead of buying everyday

Comment

- Shop late at night for discounts.

- Try out generic store brands and see if they are just as good as 'name brands'

- Bulk buy when non-perishables are on a deal.

- Go around multiple grocery shops as they usually take turns at the same deal.

- Cut out alcohol and takeaways/eating out.

Comment

I always just try to put as big of a chunk from each paycheck as I can into my savings account

and then forget that it's there

Comment

i also have a buddy who takes the bus to work like 3 times a week...says he saves about $150/mo on gas

Comment

Shower 3 times a week instead of 5. Wear the same clothes for about 4 days instead of 2. You will save money off your bills this way. If you do happen to soil your pants just turn them inside out, good as new.

Comment

Sell your cans and bottles for side cash and put it in the bank. Try to carpool with a co-worker. Have a garage sale and sell **** you don't use or need. Offer some services as a side job like dog walking or something to that affect and save the cash.

Comment

Light Beer is a lot cheaper than top shelf, try that.

Comment

don't go out to eat, cook in
                  don't drive much or at all if it's possible where you live
                  cut coffee/tea
                  get rid of the smart phone and downgrade
                  get rid of cable tv
                  buy stuff second hand
                  don't go out to the movies
                  stop drinking
                  stop snacking
                  don't buy bottled water.
                  replace your light bulbs with energy efficient ones
                  cut coupons
                  get an online bank account with a higher interest rate.

Always meant to do some of these but only managed a couple.
                  these are suggestions from a guy who travels the world a lot and hasn't worked in an office for like 8 years.

Comment

Play the lottery.

Comment

Working...
                    X