Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is boxing in it's worst state in modern history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    Nah...I think at has to do with being young and not having an open eye to the corruption and politics. Also social media gives you 24/7 access to negotiations so stuff that used to go on behind the scenes is now public information.
    That's true...it's a whole lot easier to become negative about the sport these days.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
      I actually like the MMA and their fighters. I wouldn't be making fun of it except for your vicious attack on boxing. Since you make it clear you hate boxing and only visit here to laugh at us you are obviously just looking for a fight with us boxing lovers. I am just giving you the fight you want. There are lots of things wrong with boxing today that I don't like but I still love boxing and always will. Boxing will still be here after you die so get used to it. Why can't you judge the popularity of a sport from how much the athletes get paid? Football and basketball stars make even more ridiculous money than boxers because those sports are so popular in the USA. That money isn't falling out of the sky. It's coming from paying fans of the sport. If boxers are overpaid MMA fighters are surely underpaid for risking their health in such a brutal sport. Greedy promoters like Dana White make most of the money and orders them around like mindless, powerless puppets. I'll bet Mayweather is better known world wide than any tennis star or MMA fighter or soccer player although it can't be proven one way or the other.
      I was with you til soccer...i doubt floyd mayweather has more world wide name recognition than ronaldo or messi, but like you said it can't really be proven.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
        I paid $15 a month for that piece of **** chanel just for showtime boxing.
        Same here. I remember it was $18 /mo in our area. I eventually cancelled it even before Rogers dropped it weeks later.

Comment

The reason its in such poor state, is because of money and control. Fighters come out with lines such as "he doesn't deserve a payday" or "if the money is right".

In all other sports, be that Football (sawkur), Tennis, MMA. I could go on, we see the best face the best.

Boxing is one of the few (possibly only sport) where sportsmen can go years without facing certain fighters. Avoiding such fighters.

Name any other sport where this happens? and thats a genuine question as I think its only boxing where this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
            I've been following boxing since the mid 90's...i mean watching every televised fight, ppv or otherwise, watching fights online, subscribing to boxing magazines and websites, travelling to live fights etc. I don't know if it was just cuz i was younger and naive, but i don't recall the sport ever functioning this badly on an elite level. I always remember the schedule being fairly consistent and there always being a good fight to look forward to. Now it seems like there's less fights lined up, and in my country(canada), the networks don't carry as many fights as they used to. I guess what I'm looking for here is some reassurance that things aren't really as bad and some perspective on how it's getting better.
            Yes it absolutely is in terrible straights. The worst part is, in past years you could assume that within a few years the next elite talents would be on the forefront because..well that's just the way competition works in life.

But boxing and it's greed has put a noose around it's neck and cashing in shamelessly as much as they can, where ever they can. No respect at all for the vitality of the sport.

MARK MY WORDS, an economic bubble is going to burst with this sport and it may have already bursted.
            With capitalism and competition, things are supposed to improve and get better. What we are seeing is competition getting worst and money earned getting exponentially smaller, when it should always be improving. The reason why? Because paper champions and their team of lawyers are raping the sport for all it's worth. New bold thinking is now used to mask the spineless lawyer type sentiment that is playing chess with paying fans and how much money they can make.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Depends what country you're in. In the US I think this post-Manny & Floyd era looks dim at the moment & the dimmest time in quite awhile, certainly since I've been following boxing. In the UK doe things seem great if not the best in a long long time. And places like Russia & China still got their hey days ahead of them.
              I think this is the best era for British boxing, a lot of Champions right now, and very good boxing events across the UK.

I'm jealous (from Spain) 👍.

Comment

People were saying this when Jones, Tyson and ODLH were getting up there too. You had Barrera and Morales fall off. Then Mayweather and Pacquiao bloomed and put up even crazier numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                  People were saying this when Jones, Tyson and ODLH were getting up there too. You had Barrera and Morales fall off. Then Mayweather and Pacquiao bloomed and put up even crazier numbers.
                  Yea true. I was gonna say nah I don't see this to your post, but when I thought about it for a second I could see Spence becoming this era's Floyd more than I had 3-6 months ago. I'm personally not sold on Crawford, but he's obviously in those discussions too.

And there are more foreign guys then ever in the US boxing these days so a Manny or Lennox caliber foreign guy can become a big deal in the US off of those guys' back & their own talent in the future. I like Beterbiev or Loma for that. Few thought Manny or Floyd were gonna be huge PPV stars til they did, so me &/or probably others saying LOL at Spence, Crawford, Loma, Beterbiev or others becoming huge PPV stars right now probably isn't all that different.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Yea true. I was gonna say nah I don't see this to your post, but when I thought about it for a second I could see Spence becoming this era's Floyd more than I had 3-6 months ago. I'm personally not sold on Crawford, but he's obviously in those discussions too.

And there are more foreign guys then ever in the US boxing these days so a Manny or Lennox caliber foreign guy can become a big deal in the US off of those guys' back & their own talent in the future. I like Beterbiev or Loma for that. Few thought Manny or Floyd were gonna be huge PPV stars til they did, so me &/or probably others saying LOL at Spence, Crawford, Loma, Beterbiev or others becoming huge PPV stars right now probably isn't all that different.
                    Furthermore, the foreigners are getting more exposure and more fans than they've ever had before.

Comment

Boxing is ****ing terrible right now.

Porter vs Thurman can't come any sooner.

Watch it end prematurely with a headbutt or something.

Comment

Working...
                      X