Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it safe to call eastern europe vs america a boxing 'rivalry' yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it safe to call eastern europe vs america a boxing 'rivalry' yet?

it seems as though the eastern european boxing scene is blowing up while the american boxing scene is slowly dying out ever since floyd retired. while this is happening, i think a new 'rivalry' of sorts is being brewed. american boxing fans are becoming more and more defensive of the fact that the eastern block fighters are taking over.

has anyone been keeping track? what is the record between the eastern european fighters vs american fighters of recent times?

i'll start you off with a few,
    • kovalev > bhop
    • golovkin > monroe jr
    • provodnikov > alvarado
    • lomachenko > russel jr
    Last edited by GOT BEEF?; 01-03-2016, 09:25 PM.

Not quite yet. Although I imagine with the way things are going that within 5 years or so we'll have a lot more visible eastern Europeans in the game. Definitely a lot more than the handful we have now.

If GGG really lives up to his full potential we're gonna have plenty of kids/gyms out there looking to follow in his footsteps and be the next big thing.

ps. Salido > Lomachenko

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Mulder View Post
      Not quite yet. Although I imagine with the way things are going that within 5 years or so we'll have a lot more visible eastern Europeans in the game. Definitely a lot more than the handful we have now.

If GGG really lives up to his full potential we're gonna have plenty of kids/gyms out there looking to follow in his footsteps and be the next big thing.

ps. Salido > Lomachenko
      Salido isn't American.

Lomachenko > Garry Russell Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
        Salido isn't American.

Lomachenko > Garry Russell Jr.
        Fair enough. Although it's not fair to compare fighters from one part of the world to fighters in America, a place where there's fighters from different regions with different styles and different ethnic backgrounds.

Overall, I don't think "American" fighters share a patriotic one nation stance in regards to the sport. You can go ahead and try to group them if you'd like though.

Comment

Originally posted by moonboxer86 View Post
          it seems as though the eastern european boxing scene is blowing up while the american boxing scene is slowly dying out ever since floyd retired. while this is happening, i think a new 'rivalry' of sorts is being brewed. american boxing fans are becoming more and more defensive of the fact that the eastern block fighters are taking over.

has anyone been keeping track? what is the record between the eastern european fighters vs american fighters of recent times?

i'll start you off with a few,
          • kovalev > bhop
          • golovkin > monroe jr
          • provodnikov > alvarado
          What do you refer to as america? latin america is america also.

Boxing fans should take a page out of the book of LoadedWraps and root for fighters based on style, story, and personality, not color or nationality.

I am a latinoamericano first generation estadounidense born in SF who is a fan of the fighters I have listed in my sig. Screw rooting for fighters under a certain flag, why should I limit my own exposure and enjoyment of the sport? True boxing fans will look for, and absorb as much boxing as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent Mulder View Post
            Fair enough. Although it's not fair to compare fighters from one part of the world to fighters in America, a place where there's fighters from different regions with different styles and different ethnic backgrounds.

Overall, I don't think "American" fighters share a patriotic one nation stance in regards to the sport. You can go ahead and try to group them if you'd like though.
            Yeah, just playing the game. I know there is not just one "American style" of boxing.

Also, many of the most successful Eastern Euro fighters are based in the USA now.

Comment

Yea I'd say so.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                What do you refer to as america? latin america is america also.

Boxing fans should take a page out of the book of LoadedWraps and root for fighters based on style, story, and personality, not color or nationality.

I am a latinoamericano first generation estadounidense born in SF who is a fan of the fighters I have listed in my sig. Screw rooting for fighters under a certain flag, why should I limit my own exposure and enjoyment of the sport? True boxing fans will look for, and absorb as much boxing as possible.
                i was referring to the usa only, since we are basically the best boxing nation, or at the very least have been for quite some time.

Comment

Originally posted by moonboxer86 View Post
                  i was referring to the usa only, since we are basically the best boxing nation, or at the very least have been for quite some time.
                  We? It's obvious you aren't american fuccing hater

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
                    We? It's obvious you aren't american fuccing hater
                    ok, i guess i don't live in california then. i must be dreaming. idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X