Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucian Bute and Super Six Tournament

From Andre Ward Interview
    http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=27040&more=1

WARD: Well I think he’s [Bute] biding his time right now to obviously not get in there where he’s going to take any punishment or look bad. He’s just waiting to cash in on the winner of the Super Six and that may backfire because who’s to say the winner, who of course I believe is going to be me, but who is to say that you’re going to want to go right to Bute after two years of fighting grueling fights. You don’t know. You got to see how these next two fights go. You got to see how you feel. You got to see from a business standpoint what makes sense. Do we fight him now? Do we fight him a year from now? So you have to take into account all of that. Everybody just assumes that either Kessler or Bute is going to get a shot. Well a good idea may be for those guys to fight each other and the winner of that fight gets the winner of the Super Six because we’ve had two years of wear and tear on us and to go right back into another big fight. Of course the money is going to be there, but from a physical standpoint I mean it might not make sense. I think he’s biding his time but it remains to be seen if that backfires on him or not. I take nothing away from Bute. He’s done what he was supposed to do with the guys that he’s fought. He’s stopped them! Obviously we all have flaws. I’ve seen some flaws in him, he may see some in me, but I just think it’s premature for anybody to be called the King of the 168 pound division when there is so many good fighters and you have an awesome tournament like the Super Six going on and then you have another guy who’s kind of waiting in the wings. Everybody’s got to lock horns to see who is the best. Even with Kessler, you see him waiting in the wings saying I’m a champion and I’m coming back and I want to face the winner of the Super Six. So hopefully in the next year, year and a half, two years, all matters will be settled and we’ll know who the best is.
    Ward indicates that he won't be willing to fight with Bute just after Super Six Tournament.
    I pretty much agree with him about Bute. Bute is just sitting in corner and waiting for the outcome. After that he just comes out of the wood and say "Hey let's fight and find out who's the best at SMW". It's bullshiat when somebody has to go through 5 fights against best fighters, wants to celebrate his huge achievement, enjoy the hype around him and rest, but then another guy jumps at him and takes away all his titles and P4P level.

id love to see bute v kessler. war kessler even though he startin to fade.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
      id love to see bute v kessler. war kessler even though he startin to fade.
      I do have a lot of respect for Kessler, but he is fading. Tarver said it best, Kessler once had one of the most devistating 1-2 in boxing, and now it's just not there anymore.

Comment

Ward is right.

Fuck Bute. Kessler and Dirrell had 2 fights and then pulled out. Abraham commited a blatant foul in his second fight and then looked like he wasn't even trying in his third fight. But I'd put those guys ahead of Bute in the queue.

I acknowledge that Bute wasn't invited to the tournament. But he could've faced better boxers than he's cherry-picked. He is happy to fight the same style over and over again. And not just the same style, but the same style from B/C level fighters.

When Sakio Bika is the most skillful fighter someone has faced, you have to wonder...

Comment

I want to see Bute vs Abraham/Ward/Kessler

Comment

Originally posted by AllEyesOpen View Post
            I do have a lot of respect for Kessler, but he is fading. Tarver said it best, Kessler once had one of the most devistating 1-2 in boxing, and now it's just not there anymore.
            yeah. its true it started after calslappy to. i never liked him but he took something out of kessler.

Comment

Im ok with this. I would be happy if I never saw Ward fight anyone ever again. He should win the Super 6, and then retire "on top." That way, I wont have to watch him billy goat his way through any more hometown fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Instinto View Post

Ward indicates that he won't be willing to fight with Bute just after Super Six Tournament.I pretty much agree with him about Bute. Bute is just sitting in corner and waiting for the outcome. After that he just comes out of the wood and say "Hey let's fight and find out who's the best at SMW". It's bullshiat when somebody has to go through 5 fights against best fighters, wants to celebrate his huge achievement, enjoy the hype around him and rest, but then another guy jumps at him and takes away all his titles and P4P level.
                your reading comprehension sucks

that's not what he is saying in the article

he said who knows

''who is to say that you’re going to want to go right to Bute after two years of fighting grueling fights. You don’t know. You got to see how these next two fights go. You got to see how you feel. You got to see from a business standpoint what makes sense. Do we fight him now? Do we fight him a year from now? So you have to take into account all of that. ''

Comment

Originally posted by Instinto View Post

Ward indicates that he won't be willing to fight with Bute just after Super Six Tournament.
                  I pretty much agree with him about Bute. Bute is just sitting in corner and waiting for the outcome. After that he just comes out of the wood and say "Hey let's fight and find out who's the best at SMW". It's bullshiat when somebody has to go through 5 fights against best fighters, wants to celebrate his huge achievement, enjoy the hype around him and rest, but then another guy jumps at him and takes away all his titles and P4P level.
                  Ward just fought Allan Green and Sakio Bika. Now he fights Abraham. Not really top fights IMO.

After the tourney, Ward will have 2 real big fights on his resume : Kessler and Froch.

But I agree Bute has to fight Kessler or Dirrell before he gets a shot at the S6 winner, and preferably both. But I doubt Kessler wants to fight Bute at this point. He probably thinks he will get a shot at the S6 winner anyway. I know he was promised a shot, but we all know what a promise is worth in boxing... Hopefully Kessler realises that and tries to secure his shot by fighting Bute.

Comment

The winner of the Super Six, whoever it is, will have had 2 years of tough fight after tough fight.

They should get a chance to rest up and cash in with a few easy defenses first before fighting Bute.

Bute should fight Dirrell or Kessler in the meantime, instead of all the tomato cans he's facing.

Comment

Working...
                    X