Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Keith Thurman a credible opponent for Floyd Mayweather Jr's next fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes he is. Who else is it going to be in September that will give him a better fight?

You know Lara isn't getting the fight, Garcia would get whitewashed.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
      Yes he is. Who else is it going to be in September that will give him a better fight?

Wow what a joke of a fight that would be.

Comment

What makes someone a credible opponent to face Floyd? Who EXACTLY do they have to beat for someone to say "ahhh, now he's ready."

Floyd can choose to fight whomever and whenever he wants. If he wanted to fight Thurman next, guess what? Thurman would be next. And then they'll sell it as young, hungry, up and coming lion, etc...

Point is, who's to say there is some kind of prerequisite for getting a Mayweather fight? If Thurman did get the fight, I wouldn't be bitc**ng about him "not being ready." I'd be ok with a good, young, aggressive fighter getting a shot. I mean Khan almost got it and he hadn't done a damn thing lately, so what exactly is the criteria?
        Last edited by Supreme75; 04-01-2014, 04:58 PM.

Comment

More credible than Guerrero and Ortiz I think.

Comment

Best opponents for Mayweather
            Martinez
            Pacquiao
            Lara
            (all left handed)
            GGG

ok opponents
            Thurman

Bad opponents
            Khan
            Maidana
            any featherweights/lightweights

Comment

It is a good option as he's quick and explosive.

At least there would be a genuine 'what if...' factor about the fight.

It is hard to tell but he has to be amongst the biggest hitters at 147.

I mean if Malignaggi were to beat Porter he'd deserve a Floyd fight but you'd have to be mad to want to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

Garcia is a more proven fighter than Thurman at this point. If Thurman loses, which he will, the fight will be discredited. If Garcia loses, the fight won't be discredited that much because of his history of success (minus Herrera, although thats scored as a win). Garcia has a bigger fan base as well and is champion.

Comment

Originally posted by radioraheem View Post
                  Garcia is a more proven fighter than Thurman at this point. If Thurman loses, which he will, the fight will be discredited. If Garcia loses, the fight won't be discredited that much because of his history of success (minus Herrera, although thats scored as a win). Garcia has a bigger fan base as well and is champion.
                  Garcia hasn't even fought at 147 yet and is coming off a **** performance so cut the crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                    Garcia hasn't even fought at 147 yet and is coming off a **** performance so cut the crap.
                    He's had more fights at 147 than he has at 140.

I still think it's a solid option despite the poor performance against Herrera.

It's likely to be the September fight.

Comment

I voted yes but that assumes he beats one or two good welterweights between now and Floyd's next fight. If he does not have a good win over a top welterweight like Porter, Guerrero or Alexander then someone like Khan will probably get the fight if Khan looks good in his fight. Right now Thurman looks like a guy with real potential but he needs to prove it to get a Mayweather fight. He had better have Schaefer get him a damn good opponent. He needs to KO that opponent or he won't be fighting Floyd in September. I think Khan will most likely get the Mayweather fight if he looks good but if Thurman keeps knocking guys out he will get his chance.

Comment

Working...
                      X