Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two diverse "worlds" of boxing in my gym, which side to listen to?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two diverse "worlds" of boxing in my gym, which side to listen to?

So in my gym, there are many people outside my country training there, and they are a hell lot strong. My head coach is African, while an awesome amateur fighter I know is phillipino, both of them are very good.

On the other hand, there is a japanese boxing trainer who concentrates on training pros. I mean, every trainer concentrates on training pro, I understand that, but the phillipino boxer and african trainer spends equal time on me as well as spending time on me.

The Japanese trainer told me to get out of the gym when I'm done with my workout, and I should follow the workout routine he makes and follow EXACTLY what he made. and also i'm too fast on working on techniques and defense.

The others disagree with it though. in fact they don't like him that much.

So my question is, which opinion should i listen to? The phillipino boxer is very strong, though he only had one amateur fight he knocked his opponent within the first round. he spends quality time with me while teaching me techniques and form man-to-man, as well as the african trainer. he also won the african amateur championship.

Considering the fact that I live in Japan and I'm japanese, by the way lol

you should always listen to what all trainers and fighters have to say. doesnt mean you heave to heed their advice, but always listen to what they say, and use your training and knowledge to utilize any and all advice you get to better your skills. in my experience, everyone in the fight game is gonna have something useful to tell you, in one way or another. make the best of it

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedKillz View Post
      you should always listen to what all trainers and fighters have to say. doesnt mean you heave to heed their advice, but always listen to what they say, and use your training and knowledge to utilize any and all advice you get to better your skills. in my experience, everyone in the fight game is gonna have something useful to tell you, in one way or another. make the best of it
      good post.
      i would add that you should definitely be critical- think about wht you are being told and being shown- does it make good sense? -is there some flaw in the advice? - is there a better way of doing it?
      not all boxers nor coaches have the level of understanding that you would hope they might. nor are all of them great at explaining what they actually mean, in a way that you can understand and utilise. also some coaches are great for a specific style but that style will suit only some boxers and not others.
      SO, do listen to everything and have an open mind, but also make sure it is a critical mind.

Comment

Originally posted by frosty-g View Post
        good post.
        i would add that you should definitely be critical- think about wht you are being told and being shown- does it make good sense? -is there some flaw in the advice? - is there a better way of doing it?
        not all boxers nor coaches have the level of understanding that you would hope they might. nor are all of them great at explaining what they actually mean, in a way that you can understand and utilise. also some coaches are great for a specific style but that style will suit only some boxers and not others.
        SO, do listen to everything and have an open mind, but also make sure it is a critical mind.
        that goes for life too!

Comment

Well, I would say go with the one that spends the most time with you. Take the advice from all the trainers but you should do what the one who has the most interest in you, who spends the most time trying to make you better, first and foremost and then if you have the time or opportunity to implement what the others have suggested, go for it.

I know that somewhere inside of you, you want to listen to the Japanese coach the most but you should make the choice based on who wants to help you get better the most, who spends the most time trying to make you better. If that's the filipino or the african coach, then so be it but try to always keep an open mind and take some of the advice from each of the coaches.

That's my opinion on the matter. Also, try talking to the coaches one on one, if you like one of the coaches more than the others, talk to them and let them know that you would like them to be your head/main coach. Like Wild Card has more coaches than just Freddie but obviously Freddie Roach is the main coach for certain boxers. That's what I mean.

Hope you enjoy your new gym and have been getting better bro.

Comment

go to who ever fits your style and breaks the sweet science down to your liking.

Comment

Your in a tuff position young man! Gyms that have mulitple trainers without a trainer that "over sees" the "stable" are usually filled with people who talk behind peoples backs. You need to sit down and think about which trainer can offer you the best advices as to amatuer training or pro training. A good pro style is often not good for the amatuer ranks. (perfect example M. Tyson) What are your hopes in the boxing gym? Can you become a pro who can compete and learn as time moves by? Think which of these trainers can help Your Needs!! Back in the day of renting gym time (space, lockers, sparring) if an outside trainer approached another trainers fighter that would raise some hell and there'd be big problems then. It might be time for you to decide who trains you if so many are interested. Is there another gym near you? If so go there and see if theres a simular responce to your presents. You might be a great talent and these people see it and you don't yet. Have you had any bouts yet? Ray.
              Last edited by Ray Corso; 01-18-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                Your in a tuff position young man! Gyms that have mulitple trainers without a trainer that "over sees" the "stable" are usually filled with people who talk behind peoples backs. You need to sit down and think about which trainer can offer you the best advices as to amatuer training or pro training. A good pro style is often not good for the amatuer ranks. (perfect example M. Tyson) What are your hopes in the boxing gym? Can you become a pro who can compete and learn as time moves by? Think which of these trainers can help Your Needs!! Back in the day of renting gym time (space, lockers, sparring) if an outside trainer approached another trainers fighter that would raise some hell and there'd be big problems then. It might be time for you to decide who trains you if so many are interested. Is there another gym near you? If so go there and see if theres a simular responce to your presents. You might be a great talent and these people see it and you don't yet. Have you had any bouts yet? Ray.
                hi ray,

my goal right now is, first things first go to a university in america; my school isn't linked with japanese universities so alot of the graduates go outside the country. im aiming for the university of las vegas, nevada (UNLV) as they have a boxing team there. i want to gain as much experience and get strong as possible at my current gym, experience amateur bouts, sparring exhibitions too.

so personally, i want to listen to the great phillipino boxer and the african coach. i don't actually fit in with the japanese society in there, i'm no good at japanese anyway. i get along better with the international community of the gym. we all speak english so. doesn't mean that the advice of the japanese dude is bad, but he's just very biased.

as for fights, i had no BIG fights but i experienced one sparring exhibition. but i wanted to have a win/loss, so we went with that. i lost though. alot of people told me my old gym sucked as they did not teach me defense or anything, so that is why i moved to my new gym.

i'm going to be fighting on the 25th next month, again, a sparring exhibition. im just 16 years old, high school sop****re. just trying my best to be the best i can be, amend my techniques. though right now im feeling pain in my forearms, and also undergoing **** loads of homework today. can't go to practice today, but im managing to do boxing and school at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
                  hi ray,

my goal right now is, first things first go to a university in america; my school isn't linked with japanese universities so alot of the graduates go outside the country. im aiming for the university of las vegas, nevada (UNLV) as they have a boxing team there. i want to gain as much experience and get strong as possible at my current gym, experience amateur bouts, sparring exhibitions too.

so personally, i want to listen to the great phillipino boxer and the african coach. i don't actually fit in with the japanese society in there, i'm no good at japanese anyway. i get along better with the international community of the gym. we all speak english so. doesn't mean that the advice of the japanese dude is bad, but he's just very biased.

as for fights, i had no BIG fights but i experienced one sparring exhibition. but i wanted to have a win/loss, so we went with that. i lost though. alot of people told me my old gym sucked as they did not teach me defense or anything, so that is why i moved to my new gym.

i'm going to be fighting on the 25th next month, again, a sparring exhibition. im just 16 years old, high school sop****re. just trying my best to be the best i can be, amend my techniques. though right now im feeling pain in my forearms, and also undergoing **** loads of homework today. can't go to practice today, but im managing to do boxing and school at the same time.
                  I admire you enthusiasm!
                  You really love boxing and I can see that.

As for your coaches it seems you already know which will be the best for you.

The 2 guys that mentor you, give you attention and teach you one-on-one and bonding with you vs a rigid/inflexible program that you have to follow exactly.

I get the picture that Japanese coaches are very inflexible in general.
                  Stemming from a traditional martial arts way of coaching and training.
                  To bad that way of coaching doesn't work with Boxing.

I would go with the 2 coaches with out a blink of a second.

MMF, tell me about the different coaches personality and coaching styles

Comment

Originally posted by Mohammedini View Post
                    I admire you enthusiasm!
                    You really love boxing and I can see that.

As for your coaches it seems you already know which will be the best for you.

The 2 guys that mentor you, give you attention and teach you one-on-one and bonding with you vs a rigid/inflexible program that you have to follow exactly.

I get the picture that Japanese coaches are very inflexible in general.
                    Stemming from a traditional martial arts way of coaching and training.
                    To bad that way of coaching doesn't work with Boxing.

I would go with the 2 coaches with out a blink of a second.

MMF, tell me about the different coaches personality and coaching styles
                    i appreciate your support, mohammendini! but enthusiasm anyone can have; but all i wish was that i could be good at boxing. fast, speedy, crisp punches with alot of stamina. just that talent and i won't need anything. haha.

the phillipino coach teaches me techniques and defense in general. actually focuses on every genre like the basics, techniques, defense, sparring tips, he equally distributes each sections. same as the african coach, he's actually the head trainer of the gym.

the japanese trainer focuses on focusing on the basics first and then moving on to the next step. he says that learning the techniques are way too early for me. say like slipping, head movement, running around in circles while throwing jabs.

the african trainer told me to circle around the opponent using my jab and moving towards my lead hand. while stepping back, when the target comes in turn to my left with a left hook then use whatever combination then step back again, use my jab and follow the same pattern. i can't really use it yet because i'm not used to it, but i'll practice. the phillipino boxer also told me that i should keep my lead left hand in front of me while holding my guard up high. then use the "short jab" and move around. pretty much the same tactics they're teaching me.

i have a question, in japan the japanese coaches focuses on the professionals more than the regular people who is aiming to become amateur/pro. outside the country, do the trainers focus equally on everyone or do they just train the "talented" fighters?

Comment

Working...
                    X