Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remembering the Rumble

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These dudes are lucky they were fighting in a era where guys like Sam Peter's of this decades HW division would of dominated.

I love Ali but he's lucky Wlad didn't fight in his era. Wlad would of clowned him for 15 rounds with his superior size (if Ali's chin even held up)

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post
      These dudes are lucky they were fighting in a era where guys like Sam Peter's of this decades HW division would of dominated.

I love Ali but he's lucky Wlad didn't fight in his era. Wlad would of clowned him for 15 rounds with his superior size (if Ali's chin even held up)
      Believe me, Sam Peter still would have been fat, slow, and one dimensional in the 1970's. He would have just suffered more losses then.

Comment

I remember listening to this on the radio, thinking that Foreman was too big, too strong, this guy who I had only seen on TV twice before, this giant (although in many ways he was of similar size to Ali), this conqueror of Smokin' Joe and the troublesome Norton, he would devour Ali. How could The Greatest beat such a fighter? Especially at 32, which back then was pretty old for boxing.

However, as the fight wore on and the commentary became more frantic, I realised Ali was going to pull off something special. I couldn't see his right hands or the volume of punches which Foreman was missing but I could feel the electricity, from a thousand miles away I swear I felt it. And then it was all over, just like Ali had befuddled and belittled Liston a decade earlier, he'd done it again to yet another monster.

I still remember standing as the fight ended and looking at my dad who was almost in tears, this big, burly man who loved Ali so and there was me, in my gawky university physique...it was the most magical moment I ever experienced via radio. In fact, I would not experience another moment like it until I watched Ray Leonard dance and trick his way for 12 rounds against Hagler to a famous, unbelievable victory.

The greats make it seem so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by MisterHardtop View Post
          I remember listening to this on the radio, thinking that Foreman was too big, too strong, this guy who I had only seen on TV twice before, this giant (although in many ways he was of similar size to Ali), this conqueror of Smokin' Joe and the troublesome Norton, he would devour Ali. How could The Greatest beat such a fighter? Especially at 32, which back then was pretty old for boxing.

However, as the fight wore on and the commentary became more frantic, I realised Ali was going to pull off something special. I couldn't see his right hands or the volume of punches which Foreman was missing but I could feel the electricity, from a thousand miles away I swear I felt it. And then it was all over, just like Ali had befuddled and belittled Liston a decade earlier, he'd done it again to yet another monster.

I still remember standing as the fight ended and looking at my dad who was almost in tears, this big, burly man who loved Ali so and there was me, in my gawky university physique...it was the most magical moment I ever experienced via radio. In fact, I would not experience another moment like it until I watched Ray Leonard dance and trick his way for 12 rounds against Hagler to a famous, unbelievable victory.

The greats make it seem so easy.
          awesome stuff!

It must have been something being around at that time

Comment

Originally posted by King_ View Post

Seek help....

Comment

Working...
            X