Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Reason Garcia is Complaining About Mayweather's Elbow

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, a lot of times when fighters miss short hook punches, their opponent can be struck with an elbow. I don't consider that intentional. I consider that accidental. You can tell when a fighter is purposely striking with his elbow. I don't get that impression from Mayweather.

Secondly, I really believe that Garcia knows Ortiz can't land his favorite combo as long as Mayweather is standing motionless with his elbows up and out (horizontally). That's the whole reason Garcia decided to call "foul" in the press conference.
    Last edited by BoxingGenius27; 09-17-2011, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
      If Mayweather is standing stationary with his elbows up and out (defensive mechanism and separator) while the other fighter is grabbing and moving forward, there's nothing illegal about that. Regardless if his elbow is in the opponents neck, chess, throat, ect... There's nothing wrong with that.

If Mayweather pushes forward with his forearm or elbow in a striking manner or back hands his opponent after a missed punch, that can be "considered" illegal.

But either way you look at it, the NSAC rule book does not say you can't hold your elbows up in a stationary position.
      I have no dispute with Mayweather hold his elbow up in a stationary position, but you can clearly see in the video several times, he pushes forward with force.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        Also, a lot of times when fighters miss short hook punches, their opponent can be struck with an elbow. I don't consider that intentional. I consider that accidental. You can tell when a fighter is purposely striking with his elbow. I don't get that impression from Mayweather.

Secondly, I really believe that Garcia knows Ortiz can't land his favorite combo as long as Mayweather is standing motionless with his elbows up and out (horizontally). That's the whole reason Garcia decided to call "foul" in the press conference.
        Well I get the impression Mayweather knows exactly what he's doing using his elbows. He's been in the game a long time, I'm sure he knows what part his elbows play during a fight.

I don't agree, but I respect your analysis of why Garcia is crying foul.

Comment

Ortiz might as well aim for his elbow to hyper extend it, lets see how often he uses that elbow again.

Comment

Floyd doesn't smash people across the face with them mma style but I've seen refs warn other fighters numerous times for similar elbow shoving techniques.. people ought to clarify what the rule really is and either start penalizing people for it or endorse their liberal use fully.

Comment

So, lift his elbow up and pummel his ribs on the left side...eventually, Floyd will keep that elbow down.

Comment

Originally posted by S H A R K B O Y View Post
                Ortiz might as well aim for his elbow to hyper extend it, lets see how often he uses that elbow again.
                That's what someone needs to do, fight fire with fire

Comment

Cortez confirmed my theory during the pre-fight directions to fighters. He clearly stated it's legal to stand motionless while using your elbow as a defense mechanism. I've been saying this all along. Granite it's illegal to go forward and hit with the elbow/forearm. But it's perfectly legal for Floyd to do what he's been doing. This is what I've been trying to say.

Team Ortiz proved my theory right. Floyd clearly neutralized Ortiz's best combination "overhand right", followed by the uppercut. Garcia knew Floyd's defensive use of the elbow would neutralize this. That's why Garcia was trying to do away with the defensive elbow tactic.

Comment

Working...
                  X